How can I access a Vista machine remotely?

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=

How can I access a Vista machine remotely?
I know there is some free VNC application but I don't know any of them will
work for Vista.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: How can I access a Vista machine remotely?
If you have Vista Business edition, you can use remote desktop connection.

Info: Can Vista Home be Remote Desktop Host
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=230

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:63CA14E8-433B-44CA-84F9-19EBDAFCF1B1@microsoft.com...
I know there is some free VNC application but I don't know any of them will
work for Vista.
PTravel

Re: How can I access a Vista machine remotely?
>I know there is some free VNC application but I don't know any of them will
> work for Vista.

I use RealVNC. Run the VNC server in "user" mode, and don't let it install
as a service. It works fine, albeit a little slowly.

PTravel

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message
If you have Vista Business edition, you can use remote desktop connection.

The problem with remote desktop is that you must log on as a different use,
and that requires logging-off the current user. I find RealVNC to be a much
better solution to remote access.

http://www.ChicagoTech.net
http://www.HowToNetworking.com
I know there is some free VNC application but I don't know any of them
will
work for Vista.

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=

Re: How can I access a Vista machine remotely?
Hi Robert,

Do you mean that I can access my friend's Vista (Bussiness edition) from my
XP SP2 or 2000 machine? In my XP SP2 machine, what do I need to setup? and
what need to be setup in Vista?

I'm confused about the following:

Remote Desktop Connection
Remote Desktop Web Connection
Terminal Service Client
Remote Assistance

I'm located in US. I'm trying to access my UK friend's Vista machine to
solve a problem for him.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> If you have Vista Business edition, you can use remote desktop connection.
>
> Info: Can Vista Home be Remote Desktop Host
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=230
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:63CA14E8-433B-44CA-84F9-19EBDAFCF1B1@microsoft.com...
> I know there is some free VNC application but I don't know any of them will
> work for Vista

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=

Re: How can I access a Vista machine remotely?
Hi Robert,

I just find out that my friend's machine is the Home Premium edition.

Peter

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> If you have Vista Business edition, you can use remote desktop connection.
>
> Info: Can Vista Home be Remote Desktop Host
> http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=230
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:63CA14E8-433B-44CA-84F9-19EBDAFCF1B1@microsoft.com...
> I know there is some free VNC application but I don't know any of them will
> work for Vista

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: How can I access a Vista machine remotely?
Yes, if he has Vista Business, you should be able to access it using RDC (see below how to). All your lists are different way to access a computer remotely. Don't forget that you need to open the ports to access it remotely

How to: Enable Remote Desktop On Vista
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums....php?p=690#690

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE