Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Problem with Sharing to XP

microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2007
=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVA=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Problem with Sharing to XP
I have 4 existing XP Pro machines, sharing happily for years.

I just added a new Vista machien to my network. The Vista machine can see
all the XP machines. It can access all the XP based shares. I have loaded
LLTD on them.

The XP machines can see the Vista Machine but can not access any of the
shared resources (printer, public folder, other folders)

The XP machines have mcafee.

I have followed all the directions in relevants postings here and Vista help.
Turned off all firewalls.
Turned off password protection on the shares
Created same named accounts, guest accounts.

I am at a loss, ready to load XP instead of VIsta at this point. Anyone have
any ideas?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2007
Richard G. Harper
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problem with Sharing to XP
Did you run the Network Setup wizard on the Vista PC to ensure that it's set
up correctly AND configured to allow your other PCs to access it?

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
* HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm


"DaveP" <DaveP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C8216EF6-18D3-4E62-B508-6ED6E143F356@microsoft.com...
>I have 4 existing XP Pro machines, sharing happily for years.
>
> I just added a new Vista machien to my network. The Vista machine can see
> all the XP machines. It can access all the XP based shares. I have loaded
> LLTD on them.
>
> The XP machines can see the Vista Machine but can not access any of the
> shared resources (printer, public folder, other folders)
>
> The XP machines have mcafee.
>
> I have followed all the directions in relevants postings here and Vista
> help.
> Turned off all firewalls.
> Turned off password protection on the shares
> Created same named accounts, guest accounts.
>
> I am at a loss, ready to load XP instead of VIsta at this point. Anyone
> have
> any ideas?



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2007
=?Utf-8?B?YXRpdmFy?=
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Problem with Sharing to XP
See my post above yours. Also see Eric Haines on 2/27. If you have
allocated all resources on VISTA to sharing, turn off your computers, and
restart. You should be able to see everything at that point. I was.

RedM

"DaveP" wrote:

> I have 4 existing XP Pro machines, sharing happily for years.
>
> I just added a new Vista machien to my network. The Vista machine can see
> all the XP machines. It can access all the XP based shares. I have loaded
> LLTD on them.
>
> The XP machines can see the Vista Machine but can not access any of the
> shared resources (printer, public folder, other folders)
>
> The XP machines have mcafee.
>
> I have followed all the directions in relevants postings here and Vista help.
> Turned off all firewalls.
> Turned off password protection on the shares
> Created same named accounts, guest accounts.
>
> I am at a loss, ready to load XP instead of VIsta at this point. Anyone have
> any ideas?

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-01-2007
=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVA=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problem with Sharing to XP
I don't recall a Network Setup wizard, what exactly is needed to allow other
pcs to access?

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Did you run the Network Setup wizard on the Vista PC to ensure that it's set
> up correctly AND configured to allow your other PCs to access it?
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
>
> "DaveP" <DaveP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:C8216EF6-18D3-4E62-B508-6ED6E143F356@microsoft.com...
> >I have 4 existing XP Pro machines, sharing happily for years.
> >
> > I just added a new Vista machien to my network. The Vista machine can see
> > all the XP machines. It can access all the XP based shares. I have loaded
> > LLTD on them.
> >
> > The XP machines can see the Vista Machine but can not access any of the
> > shared resources (printer, public folder, other folders)
> >
> > The XP machines have mcafee.
> >
> > I have followed all the directions in relevants postings here and Vista
> > help.
> > Turned off all firewalls.
> > Turned off password protection on the shares
> > Created same named accounts, guest accounts.
> >
> > I am at a loss, ready to load XP instead of VIsta at this point. Anyone
> > have
> > any ideas?

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-02-2007
Richard G. Harper
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problem with Sharing to XP
Well, there are two possible reasons why a Vista PC won't network nicely
with others. Neither of which is the Vista PC's fault, by the way. <G>

One would be that the various little settings for File and Printer Sharing
in the firewall and network discovery aren't set right. The fastest way to
fix that is to run the Network Setup tool (open Control Panel, then the
Network and Sharing Center, then click "Set up File and Printer Sharing".
That will let you turn on the various sharing options, and will
automatically check both firewall and network settings to ensure that the
necessary background settings are ready.

The other possible reason would be if this computer came with a third-party
(non-Microsoft) firewall or "Internet security" package installed. These
third-party firewall programs usually come out of the box with "Turn
EVERYTHING off, let NOTHING happen" settings. Which sucks big-time when
you're trying to get a network up. :-) In that case you have the option of
figuring out how to configure it correctly for your network, or temporarily
removing it while you get the network running and reinstalling it when
you're done. When you reinstall most of them will re-read the network
settings and usually configure themselves correctly if they find a working
network in place when reinstalled.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
* NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
* PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
* The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
* HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm


"DaveP" <DaveP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:4EF3C68A-C19B-4AE5-8F24-9C8DF3FC83E5@microsoft.com...
>I don't recall a Network Setup wizard, what exactly is needed to allow
>other
> pcs to access?
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> Did you run the Network Setup wizard on the Vista PC to ensure that it's
>> set
>> up correctly AND configured to allow your other PCs to access it?
>>
>> --
>> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
>> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
>> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
>> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>>
>> "DaveP" <DaveP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:C8216EF6-18D3-4E62-B508-6ED6E143F356@microsoft.com...
>> >I have 4 existing XP Pro machines, sharing happily for years.
>> >
>> > I just added a new Vista machien to my network. The Vista machine can
>> > see
>> > all the XP machines. It can access all the XP based shares. I have
>> > loaded
>> > LLTD on them.
>> >
>> > The XP machines can see the Vista Machine but can not access any of the
>> > shared resources (printer, public folder, other folders)
>> >
>> > The XP machines have mcafee.
>> >
>> > I have followed all the directions in relevants postings here and Vista
>> > help.
>> > Turned off all firewalls.
>> > Turned off password protection on the shares
>> > Created same named accounts, guest accounts.
>> >
>> > I am at a loss, ready to load XP instead of VIsta at this point. Anyone
>> > have
>> > any ideas?

>>
>>



Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2007
=?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZVA=?=
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Problem with Sharing to XP
More info...

I checked all network settings. All look correct. I can ping from Vista to
XP, but XP can not ping to Vista machines.
I have removed everything I can see that looks like a firewall. Is it a Nic
setting?

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Well, there are two possible reasons why a Vista PC won't network nicely
> with others. Neither of which is the Vista PC's fault, by the way. <G>
>
> One would be that the various little settings for File and Printer Sharing
> in the firewall and network discovery aren't set right. The fastest way to
> fix that is to run the Network Setup tool (open Control Panel, then the
> Network and Sharing Center, then click "Set up File and Printer Sharing".
> That will let you turn on the various sharing options, and will
> automatically check both firewall and network settings to ensure that the
> necessary background settings are ready.
>
> The other possible reason would be if this computer came with a third-party
> (non-Microsoft) firewall or "Internet security" package installed. These
> third-party firewall programs usually come out of the box with "Turn
> EVERYTHING off, let NOTHING happen" settings. Which sucks big-time when
> you're trying to get a network up. :-) In that case you have the option of
> figuring out how to configure it correctly for your network, or temporarily
> removing it while you get the network running and reinstalling it when
> you're done. When you reinstall most of them will re-read the network
> settings and usually configure themselves correctly if they find a working
> network in place when reinstalled.
>
> --
> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
>
> "DaveP" <DaveP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:4EF3C68A-C19B-4AE5-8F24-9C8DF3FC83E5@microsoft.com...
> >I don't recall a Network Setup wizard, what exactly is needed to allow
> >other
> > pcs to access?
> >
> > "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you run the Network Setup wizard on the Vista PC to ensure that it's
> >> set
> >> up correctly AND configured to allow your other PCs to access it?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> >> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> >> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> >> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> >> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >>
> >>
> >> "DaveP" <DaveP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:C8216EF6-18D3-4E62-B508-6ED6E143F356@microsoft.com...
> >> >I have 4 existing XP Pro machines, sharing happily for years.
> >> >
> >> > I just added a new Vista machien to my network. The Vista machine can
> >> > see
> >> > all the XP machines. It can access all the XP based shares. I have
> >> > loaded
> >> > LLTD on them.
> >> >
> >> > The XP machines can see the Vista Machine but can not access any of the
> >> > shared resources (printer, public folder, other folders)
> >> >
> >> > The XP machines have mcafee.
> >> >
> >> > I have followed all the directions in relevants postings here and Vista
> >> > help.
> >> > Turned off all firewalls.
> >> > Turned off password protection on the shares
> >> > Created same named accounts, guest accounts.
> >> >
> >> > I am at a loss, ready to load XP instead of VIsta at this point. Anyone
> >> > have
> >> > any ideas?
> >>
> >>

>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XP Can't access Vista Share TedF microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 12 04-30-2010 14:12
Vista/XP file sharing problem. =?Utf-8?B?U3Rvc2gxOTY4?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 11 09-30-2009 22:52
Vista Network Problem / Sharing / Computers not Showing on Network =?Utf-8?B?Y3liM3JiMHlfZ3I=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 6 06-07-2009 16:58
Sharing problem vovan microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 4 02-07-2007 23:11
Printer Sharing problem jel183\(UK\) microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking sharing 0 02-02-2007 11:51




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:21.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120