Losing Remote Connection

Paul P

Losing Remote Connection
I am using Vista Business on Home Desktop machine and also on laptop. I have
set up remote desktop connections and am using them successfully, however,

After I finish my session I click disconnect at the top of the screen and
the session ends. Then when I try to reconnect, it tells me the remote
computer is not available - Try connecting again. If the problem continues,
contact the owner of the remote computer or your network admin. ( I love
that, I am the network admin)

If I have my wife reboot the remote machine, then I can connect again
successfully. but the cycle starts all over again.

I seems something isn't getting closed properly on the remote machine. Any
ideas on where to begin to look

????

Paul

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Losing Remote Connection
The way you do is disconnect which is still using the session. What you should do is log off instead of disconnection.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Paul P" <paul@NOSPAMproefrock.net> wrote in message news:1D739052-5C3D-4D5F-ABF2-6368AE5E3BAF@microsoft.com...
I am using Vista Business on Home Desktop machine and also on laptop. I have
set up remote desktop connections and am using them successfully, however,

After I finish my session I click disconnect at the top of the screen and
the session ends. Then when I try to reconnect, it tells me the remote
computer is not available - Try connecting again. If the problem continues,
contact the owner of the remote computer or your network admin. ( I love
that, I am the network admin)

If I have my wife reboot the remote machine, then I can connect again
successfully. but the cycle starts all over again.

I seems something isn't getting closed properly on the remote machine. Any
ideas on where to begin to look

????

Paul

Paul P

Re: Losing Remote Connection
Bob,
There must be a name resolution problem. I made the connection and entered the IP address (no user name). After a while (Vista is not quick to recognize networks), the shares showed up in the window. Once the share was showing, then I went to my sync application and all worked as it should.

Is there a place that needs to have the name married to the IP address? Works fine when hardwired, problem only exists on VPN

Paul
"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ext1AiDXHHA.1120@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
[...]

OK, it could be the name resolution issue which is popular issue. Are you suing windows RRAS as VPN server? it is better to have WINS for VPN name resolution. These links may help,

Name resolution on VPN
Name resolution is big issue in VPN access. If your VPN server doesn't setup correctly ... To assign the DNS and WINS to a VPN client for name resolution, ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/nameresolutionpnvpn.htm - Similar pages

VPN name resolution and browsing
Q: VPN name resolution and browsing. After I successfully connect to the VPN Server remotely, I cannot browse the network, and see other computers and ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/Q&A/vpn1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Paul P" <paul@NOSPAMproefrock.net> wrote in message news:eoHbDZEXHHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
[...]

Robert,
Hope my replies aren't confusing you and the group, I replied to the incorrect posted message about my VPN Shares

I am still having problems with Logoff and dropped connection.

This evening, I had my wife reboot the desktop. I could then connect with remote Desktop. When I got done, I used Logoff rather than just clicking on the "X" at the center of the top connection bar. The connection closed. But after it did, I can not get back on again. Get the same error message.

I can connect to the machine via my VPN and browse fine, but RDC will not work again. Will need her to reboot again.

Ideas??

[...]

Assuming this is name resolution issue and WINS server is not option for you, can try to create a lmhosts. Theses search results may help,
Browsing over VPN
To connect to it from the VPN client you can map a drive or use \\192.168.1.55\sharename in the run box. You can also configure the lmhosts on your VPN ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/Q&A/vpn27.htm - Similar pages

vpnbrowsing issues
If WINS address is not distributed upon connection to VPN, LMHOSTS should be configured to enable Domain to be located. 9. If you try these techniques and ...
http;//www.chicagotech.net/vpnbrowsingissues.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Paul P" <paul@NOSPAMproefrock.net> wrote in message news:FF09BDA3-A517-4069-83E5-A2F7AE9004E9@microsoft.com...
[...]

=?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFzIEUgTW9ydGVuc2VuLCBEZW5tYXJr?=

RE: Losing Remote Connection
You almost made me happy, i have a similar problem actually. And this thread
is the only one i found that sounds just a bit like it.

I have Vista Ultimate on my stationary PC at home, its always on, always
have been, and thats not really a problem.

Anyways, i connect from work (Windows xp SP2 machine with the RDP 6.0
installed) to my Vista Ultimate machine at home, and eveything is smooth, i
just connect to the ongoing session i have from home and carry on with
whatever i do. The after it idles a bit ( i have to work at work .. right?
) i loose the connection to the Vista machine.

The thing is, i run a snmp service towards it, monitoring active tcp
connections bandwidth in/out cpu usage etc. And whenever i loose connection
to the machine, its as if it went to sleep. I had my girlfriend turn on my
monitor at home, and she said it was a black screen, i asked her to press
space, and the computer just startede back up, as if it was hibernating or
something.

First i assume all kinds of wierd things, like, idle time killing the
seesion, but when the machine is left idling without me accessing it via RDC
it still runs when i get home after work.

Is it because of some idle time setting? Its not like i want to end my
session, so what i do when i actually get to stop my RDC i Lock the computer
thrugh the remote connection, and then close the RDC window.

Im really out of ideas =/