Vista and XP Networking

=?Utf-8?B?TWlzc0thcmVu?=

Vista and XP Networking
i followed the steps on
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx so that i can
make my vista laptop appearable to my xp desktop. both computers are on the
same workgroup name and i can see my vista on the desktop but when i click on
it, it says permission denied and no such network path even though i have it
that everything is turn on under the sharing and discovery option for the
vista. and on my vista, i cant see to locate my xp. both are connected to a
router via an ethernet cable. can someone tell me what im doing wrong. i read
few of the threads but nothing is helping. i just want to take files such as
music off my xp and put them on my vista.
=?Utf-8?B?U2VuIFtNU0ZUXQ==?=

RE: Vista and XP Networking
Hi,
Can you please answer the following questions?
1. Do you have any 3rd party firewall on Vista like Windows Live One Care,
Norton Internet Security, etc.?
2. Do you have a non-empty password for your user name in Vista?

Thanks.

"MissKaren" wrote:

> i followed the steps on
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx so that i can
> make my vista laptop appearable to my xp desktop. both computers are on the
> same workgroup name and i can see my vista on the desktop but when i click on
> it, it says permission denied and no such network path even though i have it
> that everything is turn on under the sharing and discovery option for the
> vista. and on my vista, i cant see to locate my xp. both are connected to a
> router via an ethernet cable. can someone tell me what im doing wrong. i read
> few of the threads but nothing is helping. i just want to take files such as
> music off my xp and put them on my vista.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlzc0thcmVu?=

RE: Vista and XP Networking
hi
1. i do not have windows live one care - unless its already preinstalled and
set up - but i dont see it under the program files. and i do have norton
installed - came with teh computer.
2. my password is not empty.

i hope that helps u figuring out the problem. thanks.

"Sen [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
> Can you please answer the following questions?
> 1. Do you have any 3rd party firewall on Vista like Windows Live One Care,
> Norton Internet Security, etc.?
> 2. Do you have a non-empty password for your user name in Vista?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "MissKaren" wrote:
>
> > i followed the steps on
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx so that i can
> > make my vista laptop appearable to my xp desktop. both computers are on the
> > same workgroup name and i can see my vista on the desktop but when i click on
> > it, it says permission denied and no such network path even though i have it
> > that everything is turn on under the sharing and discovery option for the
> > vista. and on my vista, i cant see to locate my xp. both are connected to a
> > router via an ethernet cable. can someone tell me what im doing wrong. i read
> > few of the threads but nothing is helping. i just want to take files such as
> > music off my xp and put them on my vista.

=?Utf-8?B?U2VuIFtNU0ZUXQ==?=

RE: Vista and XP Networking
Hi,
a. You may have to configure Norton so that it allows network discovery and
file & printer sharing to take place seamlessly.

<Instructions referenced from one of Dr.Stretch' posts to this newsgroup but
edited for your case>
1. Open your Norton or, other Virus program
(I have NIS 2007 on Vista & NIS 2006 on XP) they both look the same.
2. Expand the Setting Tab
3. Under Web Browsing, click Personal Firewall
4. Click Configure, then if you are (Admin. click continue)
5. Goto Advance Settings (on side menu)
6. Click Configure
7. You are there (Do you notice all the RED arrows)
8. Choose any selection that has the word either "sharing" or NetBIOS
9. Click Modify and choose Allow (or equivalent)

Repeat steps 8 & 9 for every such selection.

b. As described in the file & printer sharing document
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...vista_fp.mspx), allowing
anonymous network access (i.e. guest account access) is not recommended. But,
if you still do not want to create a password for your user accounts, please
ensure that password protected sharing is turned OFF and every share you had
attempted to share is configured to allow either EVERYONE or GUEST have at
least read permissions.

Thanks,
Sen.
"MissKaren" wrote:

> hi
> 1. i do not have windows live one care - unless its already preinstalled and
> set up - but i dont see it under the program files. and i do have norton
> installed - came with teh computer.
> 2. my password is not empty.
>
> i hope that helps u figuring out the problem. thanks.
>
> "Sen [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Can you please answer the following questions?
> > 1. Do you have any 3rd party firewall on Vista like Windows Live One Care,
> > Norton Internet Security, etc.?
> > 2. Do you have a non-empty password for your user name in Vista?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "MissKaren" wrote:
> >
> > > i followed the steps on
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx so that i can
> > > make my vista laptop appearable to my xp desktop. both computers are on the
> > > same workgroup name and i can see my vista on the desktop but when i click on
> > > it, it says permission denied and no such network path even though i have it
> > > that everything is turn on under the sharing and discovery option for the
> > > vista. and on my vista, i cant see to locate my xp. both are connected to a
> > > router via an ethernet cable. can someone tell me what im doing wrong. i read
> > > few of the threads but nothing is helping. i just want to take files such as
> > > music off my xp and put them on my vista.

=?Utf-8?B?R0ZpdHo=?=

RE: Vista and XP Networking
I just want to say thank you so much for this information. I have been
pulling my hair out trying to get the sharing to work so I could transfer
some music files from my XP machine to my son's new Vista PC. Although I had
disabled Norton's firewall, it was still blocking the connection. Your steps
did the trick. Wish I had seen this about 4 hours ago!

"Sen [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
> a. You may have to configure Norton so that it allows network discovery and
> file & printer sharing to take place seamlessly.
>
> <Instructions referenced from one of Dr.Stretch' posts to this newsgroup but
> edited for your case>
> 1. Open your Norton or, other Virus program
> (I have NIS 2007 on Vista & NIS 2006 on XP) they both look the same.
> 2. Expand the Setting Tab
> 3. Under Web Browsing, click Personal Firewall
> 4. Click Configure, then if you are (Admin. click continue)
> 5. Goto Advance Settings (on side menu)
> 6. Click Configure
> 7. You are there (Do you notice all the RED arrows)
> 8. Choose any selection that has the word either "sharing" or NetBIOS
> 9. Click Modify and choose Allow (or equivalent)
>
> Repeat steps 8 & 9 for every such selection.
>
> b. As described in the file & printer sharing document
> (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...vista_fp.mspx), allowing
> anonymous network access (i.e. guest account access) is not recommended. But,
> if you still do not want to create a password for your user accounts, please
> ensure that password protected sharing is turned OFF and every share you had
> attempted to share is configured to allow either EVERYONE or GUEST have at
> least read permissions.
>
> Thanks,
> Sen.
> "MissKaren" wrote:
>
> > hi
> > 1. i do not have windows live one care - unless its already preinstalled and
> > set up - but i dont see it under the program files. and i do have norton
> > installed - came with teh computer.
> > 2. my password is not empty.
> >
> > i hope that helps u figuring out the problem. thanks.
> >
> > "Sen [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Can you please answer the following questions?
> > > 1. Do you have any 3rd party firewall on Vista like Windows Live One Care,
> > > Norton Internet Security, etc.?
> > > 2. Do you have a non-empty password for your user name in Vista?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlzc0thcmVu?=

RE: Vista and XP Networking
yes thank this did the trick!....very much...

"Sen [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
> a. You may have to configure Norton so that it allows network discovery and
> file & printer sharing to take place seamlessly.
>
> <Instructions referenced from one of Dr.Stretch' posts to this newsgroup but
> edited for your case>
> 1. Open your Norton or, other Virus program
> (I have NIS 2007 on Vista & NIS 2006 on XP) they both look the same.
> 2. Expand the Setting Tab
> 3. Under Web Browsing, click Personal Firewall
> 4. Click Configure, then if you are (Admin. click continue)
> 5. Goto Advance Settings (on side menu)
> 6. Click Configure
> 7. You are there (Do you notice all the RED arrows)
> 8. Choose any selection that has the word either "sharing" or NetBIOS
> 9. Click Modify and choose Allow (or equivalent)
>
> Repeat steps 8 & 9 for every such selection.
>
> b. As described in the file & printer sharing document
> (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net...vista_fp.mspx), allowing
> anonymous network access (i.e. guest account access) is not recommended. But,
> if you still do not want to create a password for your user accounts, please
> ensure that password protected sharing is turned OFF and every share you had
> attempted to share is configured to allow either EVERYONE or GUEST have at
> least read permissions.
>
> Thanks,
> Sen.
> "MissKaren" wrote:
>
> > hi
> > 1. i do not have windows live one care - unless its already preinstalled and
> > set up - but i dont see it under the program files. and i do have norton
> > installed - came with teh computer.
> > 2. my password is not empty.
> >
> > i hope that helps u figuring out the problem. thanks.
> >
> > "Sen [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Can you please answer the following questions?
> > > 1. Do you have any 3rd party firewall on Vista like Windows Live One Care,
> > > Norton Internet Security, etc.?
> > > 2. Do you have a non-empty password for your user name in Vista?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

=?Utf-8?B?U2VuIFtNU0ZUXQ==?=

RE: Vista and XP Networking
You are welcome. Thanks should also go to "Dr.Stretch" too for posting these
steps for Norton Internet Security.

Thanks.