Networking Vista with other operating systems

=?Utf-8?B?UGFwYSBTcXVhdCE=?=

Networking Vista with other operating systems
Have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out where Microsoft hid
everything in this version. Anyway, got the darn thing connected to my
network - can hit the internet, and can see other computers. Printers do
not show up and I can not connect to any other computers or printers. Also,
don't know if they are connected, but the Dell Connect option won't work
either. What is the trick and where did the evil men in blue hide it?
=?Utf-8?B?U2ljaGVybGljaA==?=

RE: Networking Vista with other operating systems
Reading some more posts here (and on other places ) I think they dont want
that you connect with other systems; Please run Vista only in
"Vista-only"-networks. (

I'm downgrading to XP again
Sicherlich

=?Utf-8?B?UGFwYSBTcXVhdCE=?=

"Sicherlich" wrote:

> Reading some more posts here (and on other places ) I think they dont want
> that you connect with other systems; Please run Vista only in
> "Vista-only"-networks. (
>
> I'm downgrading to XP again
> Sicherlich

> Yeah, I think you are Correct! I just might box this one up and send it back to Dell for an XP model. Wonder if we can get a rebate? hmmm...

=?Utf-8?B?V0VCSURFQVo=?=

RE: Networking Vista with other operating systems
The men in the blue suits did not hide it - they just never put it in. Since
the only network visiblility/connection is VISTA LLTD the networking aspect
of the VISTA OS is limited to just that. Gone are all the traditional network
toplogies resolution tools. So forget XP, NT Sever2003, NT2000, NT4 and other
WINS you can think of. Even if you load the LLTD on the other OS/NOS it is
not going to work like it does on VISTA so forget about it.
"Papa Squat!" wrote:

> Have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out where Microsoft hid
> everything in this version. Anyway, got the darn thing connected to my
> network - can hit the internet, and can see other computers. Printers do
> not show up and I can not connect to any other computers or printers. Also,
> don't know if they are connected, but the Dell Connect option won't work
> either. What is the trick and where did the evil men in blue hide it?

=?Utf-8?B?U3JpcHJlc2FubmEgW01TRlRd?=

RE: Networking Vista with other operating systems
Hi,

I would like to work with you to see if we can get this issue resolved.

- When you open Network Explorer (Start --> Network) and are not able to see
your printers or XP computers, do you also see an info bar in the window
asking you to enable Network discovery and file sharing? If yes, please click
on the info bar to enable these ports

- Are the XP and Vista computers on the same workgroup? Vista talks the
older and newer computer discovery protocols while XP talks just the Computer
Browsing protocol which works to collect the browse list from its neighbors
at intervals. So if both the machines are on the same workgroup, discovery
would be faster.

- Is any 3rd party firewall blocking the "Network discovery" and "file and
print sharing" ports?

About LLTD being the only discovery protocol available in Vista is not true.
LLTD is a network topology discovery and not computer/device discovery
protocol.
Vista has backward compatibility with the discovery protocols of previous
Windows versions, XP/WS03 etc. So you need LLTD responders on XP only if you
want that machine to appear on the Network Map created by the Vista machine.
But for the XP m/c to be discovered by Vista (viaNetwork Explorer), you do
not need LLTD. We need just the right ports to be allowed by the
firewall/firewalls on the Vista machine.

Do let me know of more details so we can proceed further with the debugging.

Thanks,
Sri

"Papa Squat!" wrote:

> Have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out where Microsoft hid
> everything in this version. Anyway, got the darn thing connected to my
> network - can hit the internet, and can see other computers. Printers do
> not show up and I can not connect to any other computers or printers. Also,
> don't know if they are connected, but the Dell Connect option won't work
> either. What is the trick and where did the evil men in blue hide it?

=?Utf-8?B?V0VCSURFQVo=?=

RE: Networking Vista with other operating systems
Hi,

Good, glad you are willing to assist. First let me say if the older
networking discovery tools are still there in VISTA it's not real obvious to
me. For instance in WIN2000 and XP you could right click on "Network
Neighborhood" and "Search for computers..." this seems to be missing in
VISTA. Yes we have the search pane but according to The Network and Sharing
Center Dialogue" the local network only consists of
me-->workgroup--->Internet so it's not likely the search pane will net any
results. What I would hope for is a search that could use naming convention
or IP address (like in WIN2000 or XP) when the seach pane fails to net the
results we expect.

Secondly understand that using the exact same node connection and login I
can view and connect to the other workstations in my local (workgroup)
network and also the two servers running NT4 NOS if I boot using XP or WIN
2000. I think we can assume there are no 3rd party firewalls or apps blocking
connection since this is true.

Maybe you can help with this too. I wanted to change which ports (I want to
specifically name them) I allow for the user login connectivity. I guess i
expected to find this right within the firewall dialogue box but I see only
allow a program or Turn firewall on or off, and block incoming - nowhere do I
see where I can specifically list the ports I want to allow or dissalow.
Perhaps this exists somwhere else?

"Sripresanna [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to work with you to see if we can get this issue resolved.
>
> - When you open Network Explorer (Start --> Network) and are not able to see
> your printers or XP computers, do you also see an info bar in the window
> asking you to enable Network discovery and file sharing? If yes, please click
> on the info bar to enable these ports
>
> - Are the XP and Vista computers on the same workgroup? Vista talks the
> older and newer computer discovery protocols while XP talks just the Computer
> Browsing protocol which works to collect the browse list from its neighbors
> at intervals. So if both the machines are on the same workgroup, discovery
> would be faster.
>
> - Is any 3rd party firewall blocking the "Network discovery" and "file and
> print sharing" ports?
>
> About LLTD being the only discovery protocol available in Vista is not true.
> LLTD is a network topology discovery and not computer/device discovery
> protocol.
> Vista has backward compatibility with the discovery protocols of previous
> Windows versions, XP/WS03 etc. So you need LLTD responders on XP only if you
> want that machine to appear on the Network Map created by the Vista machine.
> But for the XP m/c to be discovered by Vista (viaNetwork Explorer), you do
> not need LLTD. We need just the right ports to be allowed by the
> firewall/firewalls on the Vista machine.
>
> Do let me know of more details so we can proceed further with the debugging.
>
> Thanks,
> Sri
>
> "Papa Squat!" wrote:
>
> > Have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out where Microsoft hid
> > everything in this version. Anyway, got the darn thing connected to my
> > network - can hit the internet, and can see other computers. Printers do
> > not show up and I can not connect to any other computers or printers. Also,
> > don't know if they are connected, but the Dell Connect option won't work
> > either. What is the trick and where did the evil men in blue hide it?

Thomas.Swaney@gmail.com

Re: Networking Vista with other operating systems
On Mar 2, 12:18 pm, WEBIDEAZ <WEBID...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> [...]

> > But for the XP m/c to be discovered byVista(viaNetwork Explorer), you do
> > not need LLTD. We need just the right ports to be allowed by the
> > firewall/firewalls on theVistamachine.

> > Do let me know of more details so we can proceed further with the debugging.

> > Thanks,
> > Sri

> > "Papa Squat!" wrote:

> > > Have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out where Microsoft hid
> > > everything in this version. Anyway, got the darn thing connected to my
> > >network- can hit the internet, and can see other computers. Printers do
> > > not show up and I can not connect to any other computers or printers. Also,
> > > don't know if they are connected, but the Dell Connect option won't work
> > > either. What is the trick and where did the evil men in blue hide it?- Hide quoted text -

Is there a way to "Search for computers..." like in Windows XP
without the computer being on the same WorkGroup? We could do this in
Windows XP easily...

=?Utf-8?B?V0VCSURFQVo=?=

Re: Networking Vista with other operating systems
Did we have something to offer here Thomas?

"Thomas.Swaney@gmail.com" wrote:

> [...]

> > > About LLTD being the only discovery protocol available inVistais not true.
> > > LLTD is anetworktopology discovery and notcomputer/device discovery
> > > protocol.
> > >Vistahas backward compatibility with the discovery protocols of previous
> > > Windows versions, XP/WS03 etc. So you need LLTD responders on XP only if you
> > > want that machine to appear on theNetworkMap created by theVistamachine.
> > > But for the XP m/c to be discovered byVista(viaNetwork Explorer), you do
> > > not need LLTD. We need just the right ports to be allowed by the
> > > firewall/firewalls on theVistamachine.

> > > Do let me know of more details so we can proceed further with the debugging.

> > > Thanks,
> > > Sri

> Is there a way to "Search for computers..." like in Windows XP
> without the computer being on the same WorkGroup? We could do this in

Papa Squat!

RE: Networking Vista with other operating systems
Hey, sorry for dropping this thread. Hope you are still interested in
helping. Don't know why I quit getting email replies. Anyway, I can see
the XP computers from the vista box, but Vista is requiring a log in and
password. None are set. Oddly enough, my XP machines can access files on
the Vista machine. Secondly, the Vista machine will not find printers shared
on the XP machines. I have done the network discovery thing and same
workgroup thing. Oddly enough, I just purchased a ACER laptop with Vista
Home and it works flawlessly. I can't find a setting that is any different
between the two Vista machines, but every thing has been moved around in
Vista. Thanks.....
....Dan

"Sripresanna [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to work with you to see if we can get this issue resolved.
>
> - When you open Network Explorer (Start --> Network) and are not able to see
> your printers or XP computers, do you also see an info bar in the window
> asking you to enable Network discovery and file sharing? If yes, please click
> on the info bar to enable these ports
>
> - Are the XP and Vista computers on the same workgroup? Vista talks the
> older and newer computer discovery protocols while XP talks just the Computer
> Browsing protocol which works to collect the browse list from its neighbors
> at intervals. So if both the machines are on the same workgroup, discovery
> would be faster.
>
> - Is any 3rd party firewall blocking the "Network discovery" and "file and
> print sharing" ports?
>
> About LLTD being the only discovery protocol available in Vista is not true.
> LLTD is a network topology discovery and not computer/device discovery
> protocol.
> Vista has backward compatibility with the discovery protocols of previous
> Windows versions, XP/WS03 etc. So you need LLTD responders on XP only if you
> want that machine to appear on the Network Map created by the Vista machine.
> But for the XP m/c to be discovered by Vista (viaNetwork Explorer), you do
> not need LLTD. We need just the right ports to be allowed by the
> firewall/firewalls on the Vista machine.
>
> Do let me know of more details so we can proceed further with the debugging.
>
> Thanks,
> Sri
>
> "Papa Squat!" wrote:
>
> > Have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out where Microsoft hid
> > everything in this version. Anyway, got the darn thing connected to my
> > network - can hit the internet, and can see other computers. Printers do
> > not show up and I can not connect to any other computers or printers. Also,
> > don't know if they are connected, but the Dell Connect option won't work
> > either. What is the trick and where did the evil men in blue hide it?

Chuck

Re: Networking Vista with other operating systems
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 21:07:01 -0700, Papa Squat!
<PapaSquat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Sripresanna [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to work with you to see if we can get this issue resolved.
>>
>> - When you open Network Explorer (Start --> Network) and are not able to see
>> your printers or XP computers, do you also see an info bar in the window
>> asking you to enable Network discovery and file sharing? If yes, please click
>> on the info bar to enable these ports
>>
>> - Are the XP and Vista computers on the same workgroup? Vista talks the
>> older and newer computer discovery protocols while XP talks just the Computer
>> Browsing protocol which works to collect the browse list from its neighbors
>> at intervals. So if both the machines are on the same workgroup, discovery
>> would be faster.
>>
>> - Is any 3rd party firewall blocking the "Network discovery" and "file and
>> print sharing" ports?
>>
>> About LLTD being the only discovery protocol available in Vista is not true.
>> LLTD is a network topology discovery and not computer/device discovery
>> protocol.
>> Vista has backward compatibility with the discovery protocols of previous
>> Windows versions, XP/WS03 etc. So you need LLTD responders on XP only if you
>> want that machine to appear on the Network Map created by the Vista machine.
>> But for the XP m/c to be discovered by Vista (viaNetwork Explorer), you do
>> not need LLTD. We need just the right ports to be allowed by the
>> firewall/firewalls on the Vista machine.
>>
>> Do let me know of more details so we can proceed further with the debugging.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sri
>>
>> "Papa Squat!" wrote:
>>
>> > Have spent hours upon hours trying to figure out where Microsoft hid
>> > everything in this version. Anyway, got the darn thing connected to my
>> > network - can hit the internet, and can see other computers. Printers do
>> > not show up and I can not connect to any other computers or printers. Also,
>> > don't know if they are connected, but the Dell Connect option won't work
>> > either. What is the trick and where did the evil men in blue hide it?

>Hey, sorry for dropping this thread. Hope you are still interested in
>helping. Don't know why I quit getting email replies. Anyway, I can see
>the XP computers from the vista box, but Vista is requiring a log in and
>password. None are set. Oddly enough, my XP machines can access files on
>the Vista machine. Secondly, the Vista machine will not find printers shared
>on the XP machines. I have done the network discovery thing and same
>workgroup thing. Oddly enough, I just purchased a ACER laptop with Vista
>Home and it works flawlessly. I can't find a setting that is any different
>between the two Vista machines, but every thing has been moved around in
>Vista. Thanks.....
>...Dan

Dan,

You're going to need to setup an account on the XP computer, that's activated
for network access.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Activate>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#Activate

Which account depends upon what type of file sharing the computer is running.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Simple>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...xp.html#Simple

--
Cheers,