Remote Desktop to Windows Server 2003

=?Utf-8?B?TWVsaXNzYQ==?=

Remote Desktop to Windows Server 2003
Hi - I connected to my work network via network cable. To access my virtual
desktop I need to use the Remote Desktop connection. I can ping the server
(windows 2003) and get to the login screen where it asks me to verify my
login name and domain and then enter my password. I have verified all the
settings and still can't get to the virtual desktop.

I was able to use this type of connection from a WIndows XP Home edition
without any problems. I am running Windows VIsta Premium Home Edition on a
new laptop. I don't want to have to install XP in order to connect to the
server.

Any thoughts?
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Remote Desktop to Windows Server 2003
What's the symptom or error?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Melissa" <Melissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83F98683-59A8-4704-8B31-B634433D44C0@microsoft.com...
Hi - I connected to my work network via network cable. To access my virtual
desktop I need to use the Remote Desktop connection. I can ping the server
(windows 2003) and get to the login screen where it asks me to verify my
login name and domain and then enter my password. I have verified all the
settings and still can't get to the virtual desktop.

I was able to use this type of connection from a WIndows XP Home edition
without any problems. I am running Windows VIsta Premium Home Edition on a
new laptop. I don't want to have to install XP in order to connect to the
server.

Any thoughts?
=?Utf-8?B?TWVsaXNzYQ==?=

Re: Remote Desktop to Windows Server 2003
It kept asking me to verify my username and domain name. I was able to
figure out the problem. It shows my username: serverip address\username
To connect to the windows 2003 server, I remove the IP address from the
username and I am able to connect.

Is there anyway to remove the IP address from the username so i don't have
to wait for the connection to time out and then remove the IP address so I
can connect?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> What's the symptom or error?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Melissa" <Melissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83F98683-59A8-4704-8B31-B634433D44C0@microsoft.com...
> Hi - I connected to my work network via network cable. To access my virtual
> desktop I need to use the Remote Desktop connection. I can ping the server
> (windows 2003) and get to the login screen where it asks me to verify my
> login name and domain and then enter my password. I have verified all the
> settings and still can't get to the virtual desktop.
>
> I was able to use this type of connection from a WIndows XP Home edition
> without any problems. I am running Windows VIsta Premium Home Edition on a
> new laptop. I don't want to have to install XP in order to connect to the
> server.
>
> Any thoughts?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Remote Desktop to Windows Server 2003
Excellent! This is the issue I thought. For some reasons (perhaps by design but not sure why), Vista Remote Desktop auto assigns or remembers the host name/ip + username. You may or may not have a problem to logon. If you do have an issue to logon, we may have 3 solutions. 1. As you mentioned to change/remove the hostname/ip if you can. 2. select Other users. 3. In the Remote Desktop Connection (before logon), click Option and then delete the domain\hostname.

Thank you for the update.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE