Cisco VPN Reason 442

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

Cisco VPN Reason 442
Hi,
I work in a remote sales office and I installed the Cisco VPN client on my
laptop while connected to my executive suite wireless network and then
connect to the vpn at our HQ with no problem. When I go home and connect to
my home network and launch the client I get the "Reason 442: Cannot enable
the virtual adaptor" error. After trying to connect at home I can no longer
connect at the office either. I can uninstall the client and reinstall and
it will work either at home or work, depending on where I am when I install
it. As soon as I try to connect to the VPN while getting internet access
from a network other than the one I was on when I installed the client, I get
the Reason 442 error. I travel a lot and this is a big problem for me.

I have tried versions 4.8.01.0590 and 4.8.02.0010 and 5.0.00.0090. I
couldn't get the 5.0 version to work even on the first install. I have also
tried adding the UseLegacyIKEPort=0 line to my profile.

Also, I had 4.8.01.059 running yesterday, shut my laptop down for the night,
booted up on the same network and the virtual adaptor cannot be enabled.

The VPN worked fine at work, home and road when I was running WinXP, but
since switching to Vista I just can't get it to work consistantly.

Thanks

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Cisco VPN Reason 442
Mike,

I have read your posts. I did some tests but I don't have this issue. You may try to remove Cisco VPN Client manually. If that doesn't help, you may want to post in Cisco forums. If you do figure it out please post back.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23FA2000-5638-4EDF-8D0D-EA231EED2532@microsoft.com...
[...]

Robert, Thanks for your response. I "think" I got 5.0.00.0090 by adding the
UseLegacyIKEPort=0 line to my profile. I have connected via my office LAN
and my Verizon wireless card. Will try my home network tonight.

I do have another interesting thing that still persists. Whenever I'm
connected to the VPN I cannot access other computers on my local network. I
also cannot access a printer that's sitting on the LAN. Whenver trying to
connect to another computer I get the error "Microsoft Windows Network: The
local device name is already in use". As soon as I disconnect the VPN I can
connect.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Mike

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I have read your posts. I did some tests but I don't have this issue. You may try to remove Cisco VPN Client manually. If that doesn't help, you may want to post in Cisco forums. If you do figure it out please post back.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23FA2000-5638-4EDF-8D0D-EA231EED2532@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I work in a remote sales office and I installed the Cisco VPN client on my
> laptop while connected to my executive suite wireless network and then
> connect to the vpn at our HQ with no problem. When I go home and connect to
> my home network and launch the client I get the "Reason 442: Cannot enable
> the virtual adaptor" error. After trying to connect at home I can no longer
> connect at the office either. I can uninstall the client and reinstall and
> it will work either at home or work, depending on where I am when I install
> it. As soon as I try to connect to the VPN while getting internet access
> from a network other than the one I was on when I installed the client, I get
> the Reason 442 error. I travel a lot and this is a big problem for me.
>
> I have tried versions 4.8.01.0590 and 4.8.02.0010 and 5.0.00.0090. I
> couldn't get the 5.0 version to work even on the first install. I have also
> tried adding the UseLegacyIKEPort=0 line to my profile.
>
> Also, I had 4.8.01.059 running yesterday, shut my laptop down for the night,
> booted up on the same network and the virtual adaptor cannot be enabled.
>
> The VPN worked fine at work, home and road when I was running WinXP, but
> since switching to Vista I just can't get it to work consistantly.
>
> Thanks

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Cisco VPN Reason 442
I haven't tried the Cisco VPN client v5, but I believe you can check Allow local LAN access. However, "The
local device name is already in use" is different issue. Do you receive this message when mapping a remote computer drive?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E772EBC8-0E31-4421-8FDE-79C4D2ECB6FD@microsoft.com...
Robert, Thanks for your response. I "think" I got 5.0.00.0090 by adding the
UseLegacyIKEPort=0 line to my profile. I have connected via my office LAN
and my Verizon wireless card. Will try my home network tonight.

I do have another interesting thing that still persists. Whenever I'm
connected to the VPN I cannot access other computers on my local network. I
also cannot access a printer that's sitting on the LAN. Whenver trying to
connect to another computer I get the error "Microsoft Windows Network: The
local device name is already in use". As soon as I disconnect the VPN I can
connect.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Mike

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I have read your posts. I did some tests but I don't have this issue. You may try to remove Cisco VPN Client manually. If that doesn't help, you may want to post in Cisco forums. If you do figure it out please post back.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23FA2000-5638-4EDF-8D0D-EA231EED2532@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I work in a remote sales office and I installed the Cisco VPN client on my
> laptop while connected to my executive suite wireless network and then
> connect to the vpn at our HQ with no problem. When I go home and connect to
> my home network and launch the client I get the "Reason 442: Cannot enable
> the virtual adaptor" error. After trying to connect at home I can no longer
> connect at the office either. I can uninstall the client and reinstall and
> it will work either at home or work, depending on where I am when I install
> it. As soon as I try to connect to the VPN while getting internet access
> from a network other than the one I was on when I installed the client, I get
> the Reason 442 error. I travel a lot and this is a big problem for me.
>
> I have tried versions 4.8.01.0590 and 4.8.02.0010 and 5.0.00.0090. I
> couldn't get the 5.0 version to work even on the first install. I have also
> tried adding the UseLegacyIKEPort=0 line to my profile.
>
> Also, I had 4.8.01.059 running yesterday, shut my laptop down for the night,
> booted up on the same network and the virtual adaptor cannot be enabled.
>
> The VPN worked fine at work, home and road when I was running WinXP, but
> since switching to Vista I just can't get it to work consistantly.
>
> Thanks

Ryan

saem problem
I have the same problem, but I use multiple profiles to connect to several networks. One works while the other gives the Reason: 442. The problem is on Vista. No problem with XP tho.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Andre Plasse

VPN / Vista

To run VPN client v5.00.... see the link :
http://blogs.codes-sources.com/thesa...ous-vista.aspx

The explanations are in french, but they very helpful.
I worked several days before to find it on the web !

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Allan Hansen

Help on cisco vpn client with reason 442 error
Hi tis did the trick for me

uninstall the vpn client
restart pc
login as local administrator
install the vpn client and accept the unsigend driver this is the virtual adapter witch not was pressent befor.

chek this:

Is this being installed on a 64bit machine? If yes - stop, we don't support 64bit.

Are you installing this on any version other then RTM? If yes - Do a clean install of Vista RTM before installing the client.

Are you installing this on an upgraded installation of Vista? If yes - Do a clean install of Vista RTM before installing the client.

Did you run the vpnclient_setup.msi file to install the client? If yes - Rerun the installer using the downloaded vpnclient-win-msi-<version>-k9-x86.exe or vpnclient_setup.exe. Currently the .MSI file isn't Vista compatible.

If you are getting an error message saying that the client is unable to enable the virtual adapter do the following:

1. Check to see if the Virtual Adapter is installed. Open Device Manager and look under Networking to verify if the Virtual Adapter is installed.
If not run the following command in the VPN Client directory: vainstaller.exe i "C:\Program Files\Cisco Systems\VPN Client\setup\netcvirta.inf" CS_VirtA
If this doesn't show the Virtual Adapter, uninstall the client and reinstall the client with MSI logging enabled. See below for info. Then email the MSI log and the DNE log to vista-vpn@cisco.com.

2. Manually enable the Virtual Adapter and attempt to connect. If the adapter will not enable do the following:
If this doesn't show the Virtual Adapter, uninstall the client and reinstall the client with MSI logging enabled. See below for info. Then email the MSI log and the DNE log to vista-vpn@cisco.com.

Are you getting a firewall error message and being disconnected? Vista client currently doesn't install the integrated firewall, disable or create a new group that does not check for the firewall on your headend.

Additional things to keep in mind:
Client currently does not support certificate authentication, Start Before Login, integrated firewall, 64bit, .MSI and logging is limited to file only and will not show up in the display window.

To enable MSI logging please see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300

The DNEinst.log is located in: c:\windows\temp\dneinst.log

To enable Verbose logging of the client for troubleshooting connection related issues do the following:

1. Open the GUI and enable logging. Then close the GUI.
2. Open the vpnclient.ini file located in c:\program files\cisco systems\vpn client\vpnclient.ini and change the following loglevels to 15, IPSec, CVPND and IKE. Save and close the file.
3. Open the GUI and attempt to connect. Once you have run into the issue close the GUI and send the logs in c:\program files\cisco systems\vpn client\logs\* to vista-vpn@cisco.com.

At minimum try the following before contacting vista-vpn@cisco.com:

Reinstalled the client, if the problem persists reinstall Vista RTM cleanly then the client and see if the problem still persists.

After reinstalling the client go ahead and email vista-vpn@cisco.com with the information regarding the issue. We do require the problems to be reproducable which means reinstalling Vista cleanly and then the client and seeing if the problem still persists.

Please include in your email to vista-vpn@cisco.com the following:

State the problem, and the steps you took to run into the problem.
What version of Vista and the client you have installed. ie Vista Business 32bit.
Steps you have taken to troubleshoot.
Install log and DNE log.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com