Vista to Vista Printer Sharing

=?Utf-8?B?S2Vycnk=?=

Vista to Vista Printer Sharing
I am having an issue with sharing my printer that is connected directly to my
desktop(Vista), and my laptop(Vista). I have verified that all information
for workgroup is correct, I have disabled the password protection for
sharing. I am getting an error code stating that the network path was not
found when I try to open the host PC. I can access the Media files, but when
I try to access the PC proper, my laptop pings and receives no response. Any
input would be appreciated.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista to Vista Printer Sharing
I would check the firewall or security software settings first. Or these search results may help,

Step by step troubleshooting ...Create the same username and password on all shared computers. 8. You may try to disable Password protection sharing. 9. If you run Network Map on a Vista, ...
http;//www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=273 - Similar pages

View topic - Solved: Vista sharing problem
Q: I set sharing on all drives in Vista Business. I gave full control to everyone. I can see all drives from the machine with XP Pro, but I cannot open any ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=258

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Kerry" <Kerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CE1991DB-D61F-4085-87CF-B62E52527322@microsoft.com...
I am having an issue with sharing my printer that is connected directly to my
desktop(Vista), and my laptop(Vista). I have verified that all information
for workgroup is correct, I have disabled the password protection for
sharing. I am getting an error code stating that the network path was not
found when I try to open the host PC. I can access the Media files, but when
I try to access the PC proper, my laptop pings and receives no response. Any
input would be appreciated.
Kevin Purcell

Re: Vista to Vista Printer Sharing
"Kerry" <Kerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having an issue with sharing my printer that is connected directly to
>my
> desktop(Vista), and my laptop(Vista). I have verified that all
> information
> for workgroup is correct, I have disabled the password protection for
> sharing. I am getting an error code stating that the network path was not
> found when I try to open the host PC. I can access the Media files, but
> when
> I try to access the PC proper, my laptop pings and receives no response.
> Any
> input would be appreciated.

so I'm understanding that you have a single printer connected via a cable to
two different computers at once? Or are you sharing the printer which is
connected to one computer and trying to print via another computer over a
network?

--
BigK wrote this.

=?Utf-8?B?S2Vycnk=?=

Re: Vista to Vista Printer Sharing
Well, I DID have one printer hooked to one PC via USB, and I was trying to
share it with my laptop. I had a brain cramp and didn't think when I was
setting up. I now have a network printer with it's own IP that solves my
problems(Should I tell you that this printer had the capability all along?).
I appreciate all of the help. This is what you get when you are trying to
muddle your way through. Luckily, I am only looking like a fool instead of
doing real damage.

"Kevin Purcell" wrote:

> "Kerry" <Kerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having an issue with sharing my printer that is connected directly to
> >my
> > desktop(Vista), and my laptop(Vista). I have verified that all
> > information
> > for workgroup is correct, I have disabled the password protection for
> > sharing. I am getting an error code stating that the network path was not
> > found when I try to open the host PC. I can access the Media files, but
> > when
> > I try to access the PC proper, my laptop pings and receives no response.
> > Any
> > input would be appreciated.

> so I'm understanding that you have a single printer connected via a cable to
> two different computers at once? Or are you sharing the printer which is
> connected to one computer and trying to print via another computer over a
> network?
>
> --
> BigK wrote this.

Kevin Purcell

> Well, I DID have one printer hooked to one PC via USB, and I was trying to
> share it with my laptop. I had a brain cramp and didn't think when I was
> setting up. I now have a network printer with it's own IP that solves my
> problems(Should I tell you that this printer had the capability all
> along?).
> I appreciate all of the help. This is what you get when you are trying to
> muddle your way through. Luckily, I am only looking like a fool instead
> of
> doing real damage.

for the benefit of others, I was looking for a solution to a similar problem
and found it.

I was sharing a printer on WinXP Home with a computer running vista
ultimate. I kept getting access denied.

I set up the printer as a local printer with a new port with the address
typed in as such //computername/printer name and that worked (slashes the
wrong way)

Kevin