Networking my Windows XP and Vista PC through my wireless router

=?Utf-8?B?TG9zc2U=?=

Networking my Windows XP and Vista PC through my wireless router
Hi there
Is it just me or does Windows make it extremely hard to network 2 computers?
I just got a new PC (Vista) and I want the Vista to see my old PC (XP). Both
Vista nd XP connect to the internet through an SMC Barricade Wireless Router.
I have an ethernet cable from the Vista and XP connected to the router so
shouldn't that be enough of a connection to see eachother's shared files and
folders?

I'd appreciate some help. Basically, what I am trying to accomplish is view
the XP shared files/folders from my Vista and vice versa.

Losse
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Networking my Windows XP and Vista PC through my wireless router
These links may help,

Vista How to Collections
http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=260

Info: Step by step troubleshooting VISTA sharing
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=273

Troubleshooting Vista Wireless
http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=300

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Losse" <Losse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:63EA8ABF-A4D0-4184-A68D-11A7D2A006EF@microsoft.com...
Hi there
Is it just me or does Windows make it extremely hard to network 2 computers?
I just got a new PC (Vista) and I want the Vista to see my old PC (XP). Both
Vista nd XP connect to the internet through an SMC Barricade Wireless Router.
I have an ethernet cable from the Vista and XP connected to the router so
shouldn't that be enough of a connection to see eachother's shared files and
folders?

I'd appreciate some help. Basically, what I am trying to accomplish is view
the XP shared files/folders from my Vista and vice versa.

Losse
=?Utf-8?B?TG9zc2U=?=

Re: Networking my Windows XP and Vista PC through my wireless rout
Robert
Thanks for your time but your links just keep on opening the same page...
There aren't any solutions I can see... Just pages opening with titles...
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Networking my Windows XP and Vista PC through my wireless rout
Thank you for the feedback. I just fixed it. Please let me know if that doesn't work.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Losse" <Losse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC3EA8E4-C918-49D2-B225-5CEB05EF9F82@microsoft.com...
Robert
Thanks for your time but your links just keep on opening the same page...
There aren't any solutions I can see... Just pages opening with titles...
=?Utf-8?B?TG9zc2U=?=

Re: Networking my Windows XP and Vista PC through my wireless rout
I'm not too clear on this:
I've create a shared folder on my other computer (call it computer 2) and
now I want to see that shared folder from computer 1.

Where exactly is this "Form" I have to type the file name in???

1. on your other pc, open windows explorer
2. Type in the share name in the form \\chicagotech \ms-mvps – (Where
chicagotech is the computer name, ms-mvps is the shared folder name). you
should now see the files
3. You may if you wish make the shared folder into a drive letter such as E:
- In windows explorer click tools, map network drive
- Select the drive letter you want to use and type in the share name in the
form \\computer\share
- Click "Reconnect at logon" and click "Finish"
You should now see a new drive in windows explorer.

To share more folders and printers, just repeat the steps above. You won't
have to turn on sharing or configure firewalls a second time.

=?Utf-8?B?U3JpcHJlc2FubmEgW01TRlRd?=

Re: Networking my Windows XP and Vista PC through my wireless rout
Hi Losse,

can you let me know answers to the following?

- Are both the Vista and XP computers on the same workgroup?
- On the Vista machine, in the Network Explorer (Start --> Network) show the
XP machine?

Thanks,
Sri