Transfer files to VIsta from XP

=?Utf-8?B?QWJl?=

Transfer files to VIsta from XP
Hi all,

I have just got Vista Premium and am running XP Pro. I installed the lltd
on XP and for some reason I still cant see either machine when they are
shared out. I have other XP machines and can see the XP machines from my XP
boxes but cant see the Vista machine nor can the Vista machine see any of the
XP machines. I know this post has come up often but trying to figure out
what is wrong here.

I noticed someone posted about MSFT offering free support for Vista for new
computers. If someone has that # I dont mind calling them.

Thanks!
Richard G. Harper

Re: Transfer files to VIsta from XP
If your new Vista PC has a non-Microsoft firewall or "Internet security"
software package on it, try uninstalling it while you get your home network
set up. The option to "disable" these non-Microsoft firewall products
rarely works as advertised and as a result you get a flakey network issue
you can't resolve.

If there is none, run the Network Setup wizard on the new Vista PC and make
sure all settings match those of an existing XP computer on the network.

"Abe" <Abe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news33D74EF-B6A9-4E3D-9241-DD7B9E232BBA@microsoft.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I have just got Vista Premium and am running XP Pro. I installed the lltd
> on XP and for some reason I still cant see either machine when they are
> shared out. I have other XP machines and can see the XP machines from my
> XP
> boxes but cant see the Vista machine nor can the Vista machine see any of
> the
> XP machines. I know this post has come up often but trying to figure out
> what is wrong here.
>
> I noticed someone posted about MSFT offering free support for Vista for
> new
> computers. If someone has that # I dont mind calling them.
>
> Thanks!

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Transfer files to VIsta from XP
Do not blindly disable your firewall! You might disable it temporarily to
check, but *please* do not run without a firewall if at all possible. Most
Vista/XP networking issues wind up being a matter of allowing file and
printer sharing through your firewall.