Simple peer-to-peer problem...

=?Utf-8?B?c2lkZXN3aXBl?=

Simple peer-to-peer problem...
I am trying to connect my Vista machine to an XP machine using a cross-over
cable. I have given the Vista machine an IP of 192.168.0.1 and the XP
machine 192.168.0.6, both under 255.255.255.0. I disabled firewalls on both
machines and ensured no other firewalls were installed. I have link lights
and activity on the cards, but I can not get the two to ping each other. I
have also tried disabling, IPv6 on the Vista box and I have tried letting ICS
on the Vista machine manage the connection, moving the XP box to DHCP. No
luck. I did install the LLTD patch, but that did not resolve the problem.
Additionally I can ping computers that are on my wireless network, but they
show sparatically in the "Network Map." They have also been patched with
LLTD Responder. Sometimes, I'll see my router listed but then the screen
refreshes and its gone.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Simple peer-to-peer problem...
We need to figure out why it doesn't ping. Do you have two NICs in the computer? Can you ping each other if booting it safe mode with network?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"sideswipe" <sideswipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news383306A-8B25-42EE-8217-FAA414755A08@microsoft.com...
[...]

The Vista machine has a wlan and lan card. The XP desktop has just lan. I
have also tried cross connecting the vista machine with my laptop, running
XP. My laptop just like the Vista has wlan and lan. I can ping the laptop
via wireless, but lan goes no where. I have not tried the safe mode w/
network option. Should I boot, just XP in safemode or both? Oh, and thanks
for responding.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> We need to figure out why it doesn't ping. Do you have two NICs in the computer? Can you ping each other if booting it safe mode with network?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "sideswipe" <sideswipe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news383306A-8B25-42EE-8217-FAA414755A08@microsoft.com...
> I am trying to connect my Vista machine to an XP machine using a cross-over
> cable. I have given the Vista machine an IP of 192.168.0.1 and the XP
> machine 192.168.0.6, both under 255.255.255.0. I disabled firewalls on both
> machines and ensured no other firewalls were installed. I have link lights
> and activity on the cards, but I can not get the two to ping each other. I
> have also tried disabling, IPv6 on the Vista box and I have tried letting ICS
> on the Vista machine manage the connection, moving the XP box to DHCP. No
> luck. I did install the LLTD patch, but that did not resolve the problem.
> Additionally I can ping computers that are on my wireless network, but they
> show sparatically in the "Network Map." They have also been patched with
> LLTD Responder. Sometimes, I'll see my router listed but then the screen
> refreshes and its gone

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Simple peer-to-peer problem...
if this is multihomed computer, it could be the routing issue. post routing table here may help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE