Vista Home basic shares

=?Utf-8?B?Uko=?=

Vista Home basic shares
I have 5 pc's setup with Home Vista Basic. I setup one PC to share its files.
I can access the files from all the pc's but when I try to access the same
file more then once vista will just sit there until the first session is
closed.

With excel you can open up a file on one pc and then you should be able to
open it from another with read only access but this does not work. This is
the same with word or access.

I did try the Business version of vista and I did not have this problem.
Does Vista Home basic have a bug with file sharing to multiple pc's?

It suppose to allow 5 concurrent useres, which it does but will not let me
share one file to multiple users at the same time. Any Ideas ?

Malke

Re: Vista Home basic shares
RJ wrote:
> I have 5 pc's setup with Home Vista Basic. I setup one PC to share its files.
> I can access the files from all the pc's but when I try to access the same
> file more then once vista will just sit there until the first session is
> closed.
>
> With excel you can open up a file on one pc and then you should be able to
> open it from another with read only access but this does not work. This is
> the same with word or access.
>
> I did try the Business version of vista and I did not have this problem.
> Does Vista Home basic have a bug with file sharing to multiple pc's?
>
> It suppose to allow 5 concurrent useres, which it does but will not let me
> share one file to multiple users at the same time. Any Ideas ?

The inbound concurrent connections limitation has never been for 5
*computers* or 5 *users*. It is for 5 *connections* and each computer
can (and usually does) make more than one connection to a pseudo-server.
The reason you did not have the problem with the Business version is
that it allows more than 5 concurrent connections. This is not a bug.
You need to either use Business on the pseudo-server, or a real server
operating system (overkill IMO for only 4 workstations), or if the
pseudo-server is only acting as a file/backup server you can put Linux
on it.

I have searched on MS for an updated inbound connections limit in Vista
but have been unsuccessful. I'm going to assume that the limitations are
the same for the Vista Home/Business/Ultimate Editions as they are in XP
Home/Pro until I find out otherwise.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314882 - Inbound connections limit in XP

concurrent connections:

5 for XP Home (Vista Home Basic/Home Premium)
10 for XP Pro/Tablet/MCE (Vista Business/Ultimate)
49 for SBS 2000
74 for SBS 2003
Unlimited for full Server O/Ses

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Chris

RE: Vista Home basic shares - R
I have run into the same issue w/Home Premium. I realize Home was not made to act as a server, however it doesen't mean that it shouldn't do basic file sharing.
After trying to "reaccess" a shared file and having the remote PC hang, I went to check the permissions on the shared file. After clicking on the Sharing button, the window froze. I can still ping the Vista PC, but no can access.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Malke

Re: Vista Home basic shares - R
Chris wrote:
> I have run into the same issue w/Home Premium. I realize Home was not made to act as a server, however it doesen't mean that it shouldn't do basic file sharing.
> After trying to "reaccess" a shared file and having the remote PC hang, I went to check the permissions on the shared file. After clicking on the Sharing button, the window froze. I can still ping the Vista PC, but no can access.

Home Premium can do "basic file sharing" just fine. This isn't what the
OP was doing. You are having other issues so you should make a new post
and include all the details about your systems and your problems.

Here is a link that will help you with the details you need to include:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Malke