Can I share my DVD drive with XP Home user on my network

Walter Cohen

Can I share my DVD drive with XP Home user on my network
I have Vista Home Premium. I also have a XP Home machine as part of my
wireless home network and I'd like to be able to share my DVD drive (Vista
machine) with my XP Home machine. I have some file that are on the DVD but
my XP machine does not have a DVD drive.

Can I do this and, if so, how in Vista (and in XP)?

Thanks!
Walter

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Can I share my DVD drive with XP Home user on my network
Sure. I am accessing the DVD in Vista from my windows 2003. To do that, right click on the DVD drive and select share>Advanced sharing.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OOfGG0gWHHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
I have Vista Home Premium. I also have a XP Home machine as part of my
wireless home network and I'd like to be able to share my DVD drive (Vista
machine) with my XP Home machine. I have some file that are on the DVD but
my XP machine does not have a DVD drive.

Can I do this and, if so, how in Vista (and in XP)?

Thanks!
Walter

Walter Cohen

Re: Can I share my DVD drive with XP Home user on my network
Ok, did that and on the XP machine I can "see" the Vista machine on the network but when double-clicked it states I don't have the right permissions to access the machine and to contact the network admin.
Do I also need to do something else on the XP machine (from it's admin account....as I want the standard user to be able to see the DVD drive)?

Thanks,
Walter
"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%237Yx2BjWHHA.1688@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
Sure. I am accessing the DVD in Vista from my windows 2003. To do that, right click on the DVD drive and select share>Advanced sharing.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OOfGG0gWHHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
I have Vista Home Premium. I also have a XP Home machine as part of my
wireless home network and I'd like to be able to share my DVD drive (Vista
machine) with my XP Home machine. I have some file that are on the DVD but
my XP machine does not have a DVD drive.

Can I do this and, if so, how in Vista (and in XP)?

Thanks!
Walter

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Can I share my DVD drive with XP Home user on my network
If you add the same username on both computers that should work.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ewBas7sWHHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

Dale

Re: Can I share my DVD drive with XP Home user on my network
I, too, am trying to share my DVD burner on my new Vista machine with my
networked Windows XP machine.

Likewise, when I try to access it from the XP machine via my network, I get
the message "DVD Drive is not accessible. You might not have permissions to
use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
out if you have access permissions. The device is not ready".

The DVD burner works fine on the host PC.

What could be wrong?
What does the "administator" function do and is that me????

The reply said "If you add the same username on both computers that should
work". I'm not even sure what you mean by that - please explain.

Thanks!!

Dale

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> If you add the same username on both computers that should work.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ewBas7sWHHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Ok, did that and on the XP machine I can "see" the Vista machine on the network but when double-clicked it states I don't have the right permissions to access the machine and to contact the network admin.
> Do I also need to do something else on the XP machine (from it's admin account....as I want the standard user to be able to see the DVD drive)?
>
> Thanks,
> Walter
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%237Yx2BjWHHA.1688@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Sure. I am accessing the DVD in Vista from my windows 2003. To do that, right click on the DVD drive and select share>Advanced sharing.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OOfGG0gWHHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> I have Vista Home Premium. I also have a XP Home machine as part of my
> wireless home network and I'd like to be able to share my DVD drive (Vista
> machine) with my XP Home machine. I have some file that are on the DVD but
> my XP machine does not have a DVD drive.
>
> Can I do this and, if so, how in Vista (and in XP)?
>
> Thanks!
> Walter

Tim

Re: Can I share my DVD drive with XP Home user on my network
I believe what Robert meant was to make sure you have matching accounts on
both PCs. For example, if your login account on your Vista PC is "Dale" and
your password is "123dale", then you should have/create an account on the XP
machine with a login name of "Dale" and a password of "123dale".

Tim

"Dale" <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I, too, am trying to share my DVD burner on my new Vista machine with my
> networked Windows XP machine.
>
> Likewise, when I try to access it from the XP machine via my network, I
> get
> the message "DVD Drive is not accessible. You might not have permissions
> use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
> find
> out if you have access permissions. The device is not ready".
>
> The DVD burner works fine on the host PC.
>
> What could be wrong?
> What does the "administator" function do and is that me????
>
> The reply said "If you add the same username on both computers that should
> work". I'm not even sure what you mean by that - please explain.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Dale
>

> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
>> If you add the same username on both computers that should work.
>>
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, did that and on the XP machine I can "see" the Vista machine on the
>> network but when double-clicked it states I don't have the right
>> permissions to access the machine and to contact the network admin.
>> Do I also need to do something else on the XP machine (from it's admin
>> account....as I want the standard user to be able to see the DVD drive)?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Walter
>> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Sure. I am accessing the DVD in Vista from my windows 2003. To do
>> that, right click on the DVD drive and select share>Advanced sharing.
>>
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> I have Vista Home Premium. I also have a XP Home machine as part
>> of my
>> wireless home network and I'd like to be able to share my DVD drive
>> (Vista
>> machine) with my XP Home machine. I have some file that are on the
>> DVD but
>> my XP machine does not have a DVD drive.
>>
>> Can I do this and, if so, how in Vista (and in XP)?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Walter

Chuck

On Sun, 20 May 2007 12:28:00 -0700, Dale <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
>> If you add the same username on both computers that should work.
>>
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ewBas7sWHHA.3500@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Ok, did that and on the XP machine I can "see" the Vista machine on the network but when double-clicked it states I don't have the right permissions to access the machine and to contact the network admin.
>> Do I also need to do something else on the XP machine (from it's admin account....as I want the standard user to be able to see the DVD drive)?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Walter
>> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%237Yx2BjWHHA.1688@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> Sure. I am accessing the DVD in Vista from my windows 2003. To do that, right click on the DVD drive and select share>Advanced sharing.
>>
>> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
>> Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
>> How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
>> "Walter Cohen" <w_cohen@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OOfGG0gWHHA.480@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> I have Vista Home Premium. I also have a XP Home machine as part of my
>> wireless home network and I'd like to be able to share my DVD drive (Vista
>> machine) with my XP Home machine. I have some file that are on the DVD but
>> my XP machine does not have a DVD drive.
>>
>> Can I do this and, if so, how in Vista (and in XP)?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Walter
>>

>I, too, am trying to share my DVD burner on my new Vista machine with my
>networked Windows XP machine.
>
>Likewise, when I try to access it from the XP machine via my network, I get
>the message "DVD Drive is not accessible. You might not have permissions to
>use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
>out if you have access permissions. The device is not ready".
>
>The DVD burner works fine on the host PC.
>
>What could be wrong?
>What does the "administator" function do and is that me????
>
>The reply said "If you add the same username on both computers that should
>work". I'm not even sure what you mean by that - please explain.
>
>Thanks!!
>
>Dale

Dale,

Does the manual or spec sheet for the drive state that it's network accessible?
Ability to share any computer accessory doesn't come automatically. Things like
writable drives, fax machines, scanners, and similar accessories aren't always
sharable because the manufacturer doesn't make them network usable when they
write the drivers.

If you want to operate a DVD burner through the network, use Remote Desktop,
VNC, or a similar desktop sharing product.

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
namit

Re: Can I share my DVD drive with XP Home user on my network

I am also trying to share the DVD-RW drive on the Vista machine with my
other XP machine. The sharing is happening fine (using advanced sharing
in Vista), but my XP machine doesn't understand that this drive is a DVD
drive. Hence, I am unable to read it or write into it. Can someone help?

--
namit
BobTheCoward

namit;4244781 Wrote:
> I am also trying to share the DVD-RW drive on the Vista machine with my
> other XP machine. The sharing is happening fine (using advanced
> sharing
> in Vista), but my XP machine doesn't understand that this drive is a
> DVD
> drive. Hence, I am unable to read it or write into it. Can someone
> help?
>

> --
> namit

Namit-You won't be able to burn to a shared DVD drive, since it's
exposed to other machines on the network as a Network drive. The client
machines have no idea what the underlying hardware architecture is-for
all they know it could be a an old Jaz drive connected on the parallel
port. The sharing machine exposes the drive as a SHARE...not a DRIVE.
Important distinction.

AFAIK, there's no way to do what you're trying to do (though there may
be hardware/software solutions out there that do provide
burn-via-network support).

good luck.

--
BobTheCoward
BobTheCoward's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/112712.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

XLB

Re: Can I share my DVD drive with XP Home user on my network

have we made sure our network settings are not set to public?

--
XLB
XLB's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/134106.htm