Is Vista HELP and SUPPORT flawed ?

Papa

Is Vista HELP and SUPPORT flawed ?
My computer's operating system is Vista Home Premium.

I was looking for my computer's IP address, so I clicked on "Windows Help &
Support" and typed in "IP address" in the search box. A window appeared with
a step-by-step set of instructions, consisting of:

1. Click to open Network and Sharing Center
2. Under Connection, click View Status
3. Click Details

Then it says "Your computer's IP address appears in the value column, next
to "IPV4 IP Address"".

What REALLY happens when I try to follow these instructions:

Step 1. The Network and Sharing Center does appear, as expected.
Step 2. A CONNECTION tab does NOT appear, so there is NO WAY to View the
Status or click on Details.

Have I installed Vista incorrectly, or is it just a very flawed operating
system? I never ran across glitches like this in Windows XP, Windows 98SE,
Windows 98, Windows, or MSDOS.

To give Microsoft the benefit of a doubt, I hope it is something I have done
wrong - but I have to wonder.

Richard G. Harper

Re: Is Vista HELP and SUPPORT flawed ?
It works fine for me - clicking and following along shows exactly what they
say it will.

Do you have a network adapter and is it connected to a network?

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
> My computer's operating system is Vista Home Premium.
>
> I was looking for my computer's IP address, so I clicked on "Windows Help
> & Support" and typed in "IP address" in the search box. A window appeared
> with a step-by-step set of instructions, consisting of:
>
> 1. Click to open Network and Sharing Center
> 2. Under Connection, click View Status
> 3. Click Details
>
> Then it says "Your computer's IP address appears in the value column, next
> to "IPV4 IP Address"".
>
> What REALLY happens when I try to follow these instructions:
>
> Step 1. The Network and Sharing Center does appear, as expected.
> Step 2. A CONNECTION tab does NOT appear, so there is NO WAY to View the
> Status or click on Details.
>
> Have I installed Vista incorrectly, or is it just a very flawed operating
> system? I never ran across glitches like this in Windows XP, Windows 98SE,
> Windows 98, Windows, or MSDOS.
>
> To give Microsoft the benefit of a doubt, I hope it is something I have
> done wrong - but I have to wonder.

Papa

Re: Is Vista HELP and SUPPORT flawed ?
Yes, I have a wireless network adapter, a Netgear. No, it is not making a
connection to my home network. However, my computer does recognize my (SSID)
home network name.

news0B186EC-25C5-46DA-997B-3A5BE45BF20A@microsoft.com...
> It works fine for me - clicking and following along shows exactly what
> they say it will.
>
> Do you have a network adapter and is it connected to a network?

> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
>> My computer's operating system is Vista Home Premium.
>>
>> I was looking for my computer's IP address, so I clicked on "Windows Help
>> & Support" and typed in "IP address" in the search box. A window appeared
>> with a step-by-step set of instructions, consisting of:
>>
>> 1. Click to open Network and Sharing Center
>> 2. Under Connection, click View Status
>> 3. Click Details
>>
>> Then it says "Your computer's IP address appears in the value column,
>> next to "IPV4 IP Address"".
>>
>> What REALLY happens when I try to follow these instructions:
>>
>> Step 1. The Network and Sharing Center does appear, as expected.
>> Step 2. A CONNECTION tab does NOT appear, so there is NO WAY to View the
>> Status or click on Details.
>>
>> Have I installed Vista incorrectly, or is it just a very flawed operating
>> system? I never ran across glitches like this in Windows XP, Windows
>> 98SE, Windows 98, Windows, or MSDOS.
>>
>> To give Microsoft the benefit of a doubt, I hope it is something I have
>> done wrong - but I have to wonder.

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Is Vista HELP and SUPPORT flawed ?
If you're not connected, then there's no connection to view the status of.
The directions work fine when you do, in fact, have an IP address to view.

I've responded to your other thread -- let's troubleshoot connectivity
first. I'm sorry you're having networking problems, but there's no need to
bash Help for providing correct instructions for a different situation than
you happen to be in.

"Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)" <michael.bishop@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If you're not connected, then there's no connection to view the status of.
> The directions work fine when you do, in fact, have an IP address to view.
>
> I've responded to your other thread -- let's troubleshoot connectivity
> first. I'm sorry you're having networking problems, but there's no need
> to bash Help for providing correct instructions for a different situation
> than you happen to be in.
>
> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> a écrit dans le message de
>> Yes, I have a wireless network adapter, a Netgear. No, it is not making a
>> connection to my home network. However, my computer does recognize my
>> (SSID) home network name.
>>
>> "Richard G. Harper" <rgharper@email.com> wrote in message
>> news0B186EC-25C5-46DA-997B-3A5BE45BF20A@microsoft.com...
>>> It works fine for me - clicking and following along shows exactly what
>>> they say it will.
>>>
>>> Do you have a network adapter and is it connected to a network?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
>>> * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
>>> * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
>>> * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>>> * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Papa

Re: Is Vista HELP and SUPPORT flawed ?
Hi Michael.

Thanks for your help. As for bashing HELP, few of us are networking experts.
When HELP does not respond to a users request for help, something is
missing. Granted that if there is no IP address, an IP address cannot be
displayed, but many users (including me) will completely miss that point. In
my opinion, what HELP should do in cases like this is to offer a short
explanation, such as "IP not found". To say nothing leaves most of us
totally lost. It's like waiting for a progress bar that never appears.