remote printer sharing

=?Utf-8?B?VmluY2UgUA==?=

remote printer sharing
I have set up a wireless home network on which I would like to share a
printer attached to my desktop on which Vista Home Premium is installed. My
remote computer uses the Windows XP operating system. I have set up the
network and enabled file and printer sharing on the desktop and allowed an
exception to the Windows firewall. I have also set up a network on the remote
computer. Both computers have the same workgroup name. I am not able to get
my remote computer to find the printer on the Vista desktop. Any suggestions?
--
Vince
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: remote printer sharing
What's the system error if using net view \\remotepcip?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Vince P" <VinceP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEFAE5B4-E00C-49A7-A032-A9F0421153F3@microsoft.com...
I have set up a wireless home network on which I would like to share a
printer attached to my desktop on which Vista Home Premium is installed. My
remote computer uses the Windows XP operating system. I have set up the
network and enabled file and printer sharing on the desktop and allowed an
exception to the Windows firewall. I have also set up a network on the remote
computer. Both computers have the same workgroup name. I am not able to get
my remote computer to find the printer on the Vista desktop. Any suggestions?
--
Vince
=?Utf-8?B?VmluY2UgUA==?=

Re: remote printer sharing
What is net view \\remotepcip and how do I use it?
--
Vince

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> What's the system error if using net view \\remotepcip?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Vince P" <VinceP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEFAE5B4-E00C-49A7-A032-A9F0421153F3@microsoft.com...
> I have set up a wireless home network on which I would like to share a
> printer attached to my desktop on which Vista Home Premium is installed. My
> remote computer uses the Windows XP operating system. I have set up the
> network and enabled file and printer sharing on the desktop and allowed an
> exception to the Windows firewall. I have also set up a network on the remote
> computer. Both computers have the same workgroup name. I am not able to get
> my remote computer to find the printer on the Vista desktop. Any suggestions?
> --
> Vince

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: remote printer sharing
go to DOS command, type net view \\IP (Ip is the remote computer ip address).

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Vince P" <VinceP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E2D60A5-B36C-4184-8295-E7B593CBF255@microsoft.com...
What is net view \\remotepcip and how do I use it?
--
Vince

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> What's the system error if using net view \\remotepcip?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Vince P" <VinceP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEFAE5B4-E00C-49A7-A032-A9F0421153F3@microsoft.com...
> I have set up a wireless home network on which I would like to share a
> printer attached to my desktop on which Vista Home Premium is installed. My
> remote computer uses the Windows XP operating system. I have set up the
> network and enabled file and printer sharing on the desktop and allowed an
> exception to the Windows firewall. I have also set up a network on the remote
> computer. Both computers have the same workgroup name. I am not able to get
> my remote computer to find the printer on the Vista desktop. Any suggestions?
> --
> Vince

=?Utf-8?B?VmluY2UgUA==?=

Re: remote printer sharing
When I type net view \\remotepcip I get the message system error 53 network
not found. When I type net view \\ I get errror message 6118 When I type net
view \\vince-pc (the name of my computer, I get a description of the shared
resources on my computer.
--
Vince

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> go to DOS command, type net view \\IP (Ip is the remote computer ip address).
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Vince P" <VinceP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E2D60A5-B36C-4184-8295-E7B593CBF255@microsoft.com...
> What is net view \\remotepcip and how do I use it?
> --
> Vince
>

> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > What's the system error if using net view \\remotepcip?
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Vince P" <VinceP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEFAE5B4-E00C-49A7-A032-A9F0421153F3@microsoft.com...
> > I have set up a wireless home network on which I would like to share a
> > printer attached to my desktop on which Vista Home Premium is installed. My
> > remote computer uses the Windows XP operating system. I have set up the
> > network and enabled file and printer sharing on the desktop and allowed an
> > exception to the Windows firewall. I have also set up a network on the remote
> > computer. Both computers have the same workgroup name. I am not able to get
> > my remote computer to find the printer on the Vista desktop. Any suggestions?
> > --
> > Vince

=?Utf-8?B?VmluY2UgUA==?=

Re: remote printer sharing
Thanks for your help. My problem is solved. I found that I had two firewalls
enabled, one from Norton and one from Microsoft. When I disabled the Norton
firewall I was able to print remotely.