Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!

shauny

Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!
Hi

I was running the Cisco VPN version 5.0.00.0090 happily (as
administrator) until I did a windows update yesterday. Now the VPN
connection gives me a 442 error (Failed to enable virtual adapter). I
have added the UseLegacyIKEPort=0 line to my profile, but it still
errors.

Any ideas?

Shaun

Richard G. Harper

Re: Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!
Do you have the latest client from Cisco? If not, get it.

Have you tried using System Restore to roll back the last update to see if
that actually broke the client?

"shauny" <shauny@shauny.com> wrote in message
news:1172479313.652435.136040@a75g2000cwd.googlegr oups.com...
> Hi
>
> I was running the Cisco VPN version 5.0.00.0090 happily (as
> administrator) until I did a windows update yesterday. Now the VPN
> connection gives me a 442 error (Failed to enable virtual adapter). I
> have added the UseLegacyIKEPort=0 line to my profile, but it still
> errors.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Shaun

=?Utf-8?B?YWJoaXNodEBvbmxpbmUubWljcm9zb2Z0LmNvbQ==?=

RE: Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!
If rolling back solves the problem then please turn on the RAS logs and let
us know. Below are the steps for to turn on the RAs logs

1) netsh ras set trac * ena
Repeat the case
2) netsh ras set trac * dis

Get all the files in directory %windows%/tracing

Abhishek
"shauny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I was running the Cisco VPN version 5.0.00.0090 happily (as
> administrator) until I did a windows update yesterday. Now the VPN
> connection gives me a 442 error (Failed to enable virtual adapter). I
> have added the UseLegacyIKEPort=0 line to my profile, but it still
> errors.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Shaun

shauny

Re: Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!
On Feb 26, 11:53 am, abhi...@online.microsoft.com
<abhishtonlinemicrosoft...@discussions.microsoft.c om> wrote:
> If rolling back solves the problem then please turn on the RAS logs and let
> us know. Below are the steps for to turn on the RAs logs
>
> 1) netsh ras set trac * ena
> Repeat the case
> 2) netsh ras set trac * dis
>
> Get all the files in directory %windows%/tracing
>
> Abhishek
>
> "shauny" wrote:
> > Hi

> > I was running the Cisco VPN version 5.0.00.0090 happily (as
> > administrator) until I did a windows update yesterday. Now the VPN
> > connection gives me a 442 error (Failed to enable virtual adapter). I
> > have added the UseLegacyIKEPort=0 line to my profile, but it still
> > errors.

> > Any ideas?

> > Shaun

Hi

Rollback not an option unfortunately, but the logs in tracing are all
pretty dull apart from one line:

[3372] 14:45:17: IsatapUpdateRouterAddress: Failed to resolve router
isatap in site

Nothing network related has changed. Went into Device Manager (at the
advice of a cisco engineer) and enabled the Cisco VPN device, but as
soon as the VPN client fails, it sets the device back to disabled....

:-(

Shaun

robwilc@gmail.com

On Feb 26, 2:50 pm, "shauny" <sha...@shauny.com> wrote:
> On Feb 26, 11:53 am, abhi...@online.microsoft.com
>

> <abhishtonlinemicrosoft...@discussions.microsoft.c om> wrote:
> > If rolling back solves the problem then please turn on the RAS logs and let
> > us know. Below are the steps for to turn on the RAs logs

> > 1) netsh ras set trac * ena
> > Repeat the case
> > 2) netsh ras set trac * dis

> > Get all the files in directory %windows%/tracing

> > Abhishek

> > "shauny" wrote:
> > > Hi

> > > I was running theCiscoVPNversion 5.0.00.0090 happily (as
> > > administrator) until I did a windows update yesterday. Now theVPN
> > > connection gives me a 442 error (Failed to enable virtualadapter). I
> > > have added the UseLegacyIKEPort=0 line to my profile, but it still
> > > errors.

> > > Any ideas?

> > > Shaun

> Hi
>
> Rollback not an option unfortunately, but the logs in tracing are all
> pretty dull apart from one line:
>
> [3372] 14:45:17: IsatapUpdateRouterAddress: Failed to resolve router
> isatap in site
>
> Nothing network related has changed. Went into Device Manager (at the
> advice of aciscoengineer) and enabled theCiscoVPNdevice, but as
> soon as theVPNclient fails, it sets the device back to disabled....
>
> :-(
>
> Shaun

I get this reasonably often on Vista as well. I am using the same VPN
client version as you mentioned in your original post. I get the
same symptoms, and sometimes fixing it will involve either a) a reboot
of my laptop, or b) enabling the VPN Adapter in "NETWORK
CONNECTIONS"... and then sometimes even that doesn't work, and I have
to rely on simple perservance.

I'm trying to reproduce the issue now, but each time so far, with
logging turned on, I haven't had the issue !

Thanks
Rob

Rob

On Feb 27, 4:28 pm, robw...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Feb 26, 2:50 pm, "shauny" <sha...@shauny.com> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 26, 11:53 am, abhi...@online.microsoft.com

> > <abhishtonlinemicrosoft...@discussions.microsoft.c om> wrote:
> > > If rolling back solves the problem then please turn on the RAS logs and let
> > > us know. Below are the steps for to turn on the RAs logs

> > > 1) netsh ras set trac * ena
> > > Repeat the case
> > > 2) netsh ras set trac * dis

> > > Get all the files in directory %windows%/tracing

> > > Abhishek

> > Hi

> > Rollback not an option unfortunately, but the logs in tracing are all
> > pretty dull apart from one line:

> > [3372] 14:45:17: IsatapUpdateRouterAddress: Failed to resolve router
> >isatapin site

> > Nothing network related has changed. Went into Device Manager (at the
> > advice of aciscoengineer) and enabled theCiscoVPNdevice, but as
> > soon as theVPNclient fails, it sets the device back to disabled....

> > :-(

> > Shaun

> I get this reasonably often onVistaas well. I am using the sameVPN
> client version as you mentioned in your original post. I get the
> same symptoms, and sometimes fixing it will involve either a) a reboot
> of my laptop, or b) enabling theVPNAdapter in "NETWORK
> CONNECTIONS"... and then sometimes even that doesn't work, and I have
> to rely on simple perservance.
>
> I'm trying to reproduce the issue now, but each time so far, with
> logging turned on, I haven't had the issue !
>
> Thanks
> Rob- Hide quoted text -

Okay so I now this, with the logging turned on. How much of the trace
file do you need to see? Some of it contains server names, which I'm
not sure i'd want to post here, but I can clear those if
necessary.....

Danny

Same here
Same exact problem probably for same exact reason. Hopefully someone will know how to fix this...

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

"Rob" wrote:

> On Feb 27, 4:28 pm, robw...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Feb 26, 2:50 pm, "shauny" <sha...@shauny.com> wrote:

> > > Hi

> > > Rollback not an option unfortunately, but the logs in tracing are all
> > > pretty dull apart from one line:

> > > [3372] 14:45:17: IsatapUpdateRouterAddress: Failed to resolve router
> > >isatapin site

> > > Nothing network related has changed. Went into Device Manager (at the
> > > advice of aciscoengineer) and enabled theCiscoVPNdevice, but as
> > > soon as theVPNclient fails, it sets the device back to disabled....

> > > :-(

> > > Shaun

> > I get this reasonably often onVistaas well. I am using the sameVPN
> > client version as you mentioned in your original post. I get the
> > same symptoms, and sometimes fixing it will involve either a) a reboot
> > of my laptop, or b) enabling theVPNAdapter in "NETWORK
> > CONNECTIONS"... and then sometimes even that doesn't work, and I have
> > to rely on simple perservance.
> >
> > I'm trying to reproduce the issue now, but each time so far, with
> > logging turned on, I haven't had the issue !
> >
> > Thanks
> > Rob- Hide quoted text -

> Okay so I now this, with the logging turned on. How much of the trace
> file do you need to see? Some of it contains server names, which I'm
> not sure i'd want to post here, but I can clear those if
> necessary.....

I just learnt that Cisco client does not use remote access client of MS so
these logs might not help.
Nick Chadwick

Re: Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!
If you have multiple NICs in your machine (e.g. 1 ethernet, 1 wireless), try disabling 1 of them before using the VPN client.

I have been experiencing the same problem, but disabling either 1 of my NICs then allows the VPN client to connect successfully.

I am on an earlier version of the client, but hope this is of help to some.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Rob

On Mar 6, 10:51 pm, Nick Chadwick wrote:
> If you have multiple NICs in your machine (e.g. 1 ethernet, 1 wireless), try disabling 1 of them before using the VPN client.
>
> I have been experiencing the same problem, but disabling either 1 of my NICs then allows the VPN client to connect successfully.
>
> I am on an earlier version of the client, but hope this is of help to some.
>
> EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choicehttp://www.eggheadcafe.com

I will try that out tonight.

I do have multiple NICs. I have the onboard ethernet, and wireless,
along with 2 VMWare NICs (which are already disabled). Normally when
I attempt to VPN then I'm on wireless, but the regular NIC isn't
connected (but is still enabled).

A reboot always seems to cure it for me, but then a few VPN sessions
later, and I'm back to "Failed to enable Virtual Adapter".