Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!

shauny

Re: Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!
On 7 Mar, 09:04, "Rob" <robw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 6, 10:51 pm, Nick Chadwick wrote:
>
> > If you have multiple NICs in your machine (e.g. 1 ethernet, 1 wireless), try disabling 1 of them before using the VPN client.

> > I have been experiencing the same problem, but disabling either 1 of my NICs then allows the VPN client to connect successfully.

> > I am on an earlier version of the client, but hope this is of help to some.

> > EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choicehttp://www.eggheadcafe.com

> I will try that out tonight.
>
> I do have multiple NICs. I have the onboard ethernet, and wireless,
> along with 2 VMWare NICs (which are already disabled). Normally when
> I attempt to VPN then I'm on wireless, but the regular NIC isn't
> connected (but is still enabled).
>
> A reboot always seems to cure it for me, but then a few VPN sessions
> later, and I'm back to "Failed to enable Virtual Adapter".

Hi

I tried disabling the other NIC's but I get the same error. As I do
if I enable the adapter through control panel. *Sometimes*
uninstalling the Cisco VPN software, rebooting and re-installing
works, but its not exactly convenient.

Oh well, back to XP I guess - Vista is no use to me without a
connection to my office.

:-(

Shaun

Rob

On Mar 7, 9:25 am, "shauny" <sha...@shauny.com> wrote:
> On 7 Mar, 09:04, "Rob" <robw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 6, 10:51 pm, Nick Chadwick wrote:

> > > If you have multiple NICs in your machine (e.g. 1 ethernet, 1 wireless), try disabling 1 of them before using the VPN client.

> > > I have been experiencing the same problem, but disabling either 1 of my NICs then allows the VPN client to connect successfully.

> > > I am on an earlier version of the client, but hope this is of help to some.

> > > EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choicehttp://www.eggheadcafe.com

> > I will try that out tonight.

> > I do have multiple NICs. I have the onboard ethernet, and wireless,
> > along with 2 VMWare NICs (which are already disabled). Normally when
> > I attempt to VPN then I'm on wireless, but the regular NIC isn't
> > connected (but is still enabled).

> > A reboot always seems to cure it for me, but then a few VPN sessions
> > later, and I'm back to "Failed to enable Virtual Adapter".

I tried disabling all the other nics on the machine, and then running
the vpn software... seemed to work for a bit, even when I come in and
out of standby

But just now I tried it, and it's back to the same "Failed to enable
Virtual Adapter".

I've rebooted the machine, and it has just connected fine.!

> Hi
>
> I tried disabling the other NIC's but I get the same error. As I do
> if I enable the adapter through control panel. *Sometimes*
> uninstalling theCiscoVPN software, rebooting and re-installing
> works, but its not exactly convenient.
>
> Oh well, back to XP I guess - Vista is no use to me without a
> connection to my office.
>
> :-(
>
> Shaun

Flashheart

Re: Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!

Hey Guys...

I tried a system restore and it solved the problem.
I have updated my Citrix client from 9.2 to 10.0. The VPN problem is
either from that update or from the installation og Wireshark (or
Ethereal). The only two programs i have installed since.

--
Flashheart
Flashheart's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23372

http://forums.techarena.in

littlepark

Re: Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!

Same problem only thing to fix it was a reinstall of vpn client. Seems
Vista update actually removed virtual adapter on my machine.

--
littlepark
littlepark's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=23702
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=692232

http://forums.techarena.in

JT_Delray

Re: Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!
Gents:

I have the same problem, yet I do not see that Citrix client as the
sole cause (if at all) since I do not run it.

MULTIPLE re-boots are not solving the problem. Here is some more
information on the problem for the benefit of other searchers (my
exact configuration may or may not be contributing to the problem vs.
a software bug):

Windows Vista Business 32-bit
Dell Latitude D420
U2500 @ 1.20GHz Processor
2038MB RAM

I run Cisco VPN version 5.0.00.0090 as administrator on this machine.

Despite disabling other connections (e.g. besides one ethernet
connection in use), and enabling "Local Area Connection 2" manually
(which is for Cisco Systems VPN Adapter on my setup), the error
message persists, and occurs COMMONLY:

"VPN Client: Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client.
Reason 442: Failed to enable Virtual Adapter. Connection terminated
on: MM DD YYYY HH:MM:SS Duration: 0 day(s), 00:00.00"

This has amounted to a relatively severe loss of productivity; I'm
disappointed in Cisco's inability to resolve (darn near impossible to
find meaningful, current information on their site)...

Xmlrider

JT_Delray;2795235 Wrote:
> Gents:
>
> I have the same problem, yet I do not see that Citrix client as the
> sole cause (if at all) since I do not run it.
>
> MULTIPLE re-boots are not solving the problem. Here is some more
> information on the problem for the benefit of other searchers (my
> exact configuration may or may not be contributing to the problem vs.
> a software bug):
>
> Windows Vista Business 32-bit
> Dell Latitude D420
> U2500 @ 1.20GHz Processor
> 2038MB RAM
>
> I run Cisco VPN version 5.0.00.0090 as administrator on this machine.
>
> Despite disabling other connections (e.g. besides one ethernet
> connection in use), and enabling "Local Area Connection 2" manually
> (which is for Cisco Systems VPN Adapter on my setup), the error
> message persists, and occurs COMMONLY:
>
> "VPN Client: Secure VPN Connection terminated locally by the Client.
> Reason 442: Failed to enable Virtual Adapter. Connection terminated
> on: MM DD YYYY HH:MM:SS Duration: 0 day(s), 00:00.00"
>
> This has amounted to a relatively severe loss of productivity; I'm
> disappointed in Cisco's inability to resolve (darn near impossible to
> find meaningful, current information on their site)...

This problem has been driving me freakin' nuts -- glad I'm not the only
one experiencing it. I'm running Windows Vista and Cisco VPN
5.0.00.0090 and get the same error message you're describing. My
machine came with 10/100 connection and I installed a Broadcom 802.11g
Network adapter. When i went back in and disabled the Intel 82562V
10/100 in the device drivers, it connected on the first try. Might be
something to that -- at least with my machine. Thanks all for the tips!

--
Xmlrider
Xmlrider's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=25823
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=692232

http://forums.techarena.in

kaydance

Re: Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!

I'm using v 5.0.01.0600 with the same problem. Randomly will allow me to
connect but most times I get the 442 Error. I usually have to reboot but
that does not always work. I've tried restarting the service for the
Cisco VPN, disabling and Re enabling my wireless adapter. I have also
tried manually enabling the VPN connection in my Network Connections.
As someone else stated once the connection fails it automatically
disables again.I am at a total loss here, had no issues whatsoever with
XP. So far the combination of restarting service, disabling and re
enabling my connection, then manually enabling the VPN connection and
connecting has worked. Seems like quite a PITA to use my VPN tho.
Hopefully there will be an update with either Vista or Cisco that will
correct this.

--
kaydance
kaydance's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=47427
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=692232

http://forums.techarena.in

Robert L. \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!
We have some cases like this one. You need to remove the Cisco VPN and
re-install it. Please post back with the result.

--
Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
http://www.ChicagoTech.net
"kaydance" <kaydance.38htne@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> I'm using v 5.0.01.0600 with the same problem. Randomly will allow me to
> connect but most times I get the 442 Error. I usually have to reboot but
> that does not always work. I've tried restarting the service for the
> Cisco VPN, disabling and Re enabling my wireless adapter. I have also
> tried manually enabling the VPN connection in my Network Connections.
> As someone else stated once the connection fails it automatically
> disables again.I am at a total loss here, had no issues whatsoever with
> XP. So far the combination of restarting service, disabling and re
> enabling my connection, then manually enabling the VPN connection and
> connecting has worked. Seems like quite a PITA to use my VPN tho.
> Hopefully there will be an update with either Vista or Cisco that will
> correct this.
>

> --
> kaydance
> kaydance's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=47427
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=692232
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

just_dan

Re: Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!

Hello guys, just registered to post this as this thread is on the first
page when googling the error... it's been driving me nuts and I'm
an-oncall manager for a 24hr emergency medical service who is struggling
over the christmas period to do his job properly!

I found I can get in by connecting in the VPN client, then manually
enabling the VPN adaptor -at the same time- as the client is "connecting
to security gateway."

This botch/workaround may help some of you.

--
just_dan
just_dan's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/just_dan.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

sapphirenut

Re: Vista Windows Update breaks Cisco Client!

Reason 442: Failed to Enable Virtual Adapter

Here's what's worked for me in the past.

#1: Disable ICS through "Services"
#2: Disable ICS through Network and Sharing Center
#3: Registry hack (open CMD prompt AS ADMINISTRATOR and type the
following): reg add
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Param eters /v ArpRetryCount
/t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
#4: Right click vpngui.exe and run in Windows XP compatibility mode.
#5: If you have McAfee installed make sure you removed the NDIS filter
under network, adapters, choose the Cicso VPN go to properties and
uncheck NDIS.

It seems there are a variety of solutions for this common problem. Good
luck.

--
sapphirenut
sapphirenut's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/218657.htm