simple? secure connection

=?Utf-8?B?QW5vdGhlciBtZQ==?=

simple? secure connection
Okay. I know enough to get myself into trouble, but I don't know exactly
what to do for my wireless security. I see other wirelss networks from
neighborhood routers and some show as secure, some unsecure. All I can make
out about mine is:
*The firewall is on.
*The network shows connected
Do the neighbors see this as secure when they view my router, or is there a
specific setup to do this. Set up a Password?
Steve Winograd [MVP]

Re: simple? secure connection
In article <D40E22C6-767D-467D-8EF1-A76A32B70A36@microsoft.com>,
Another me <Anotherme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Okay. I know enough to get myself into trouble, but I don't know exactly
>what to do for my wireless security. I see other wirelss networks from
>neighborhood routers and some show as secure, some unsecure. All I can make
>out about mine is:
>*The firewall is on.
>*The network shows connected
>Do the neighbors see this as secure when they view my router, or is there a
>specific setup to do this. Set up a Password?

To make your network secure, enable encryption in your wireless
router. You'll define an encryption type and an encryption key
(password). Use the highest level of encryption that your equipment
supports. Common encryption types, from least secure to most secure,
are: 64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA, and WPA2.

The first time your computer tries to connect to your wireless network
after that, you'll be asked to give the encryption key before the
connection can be made.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Sooner Al [MVP]

"Another me" <Anotherme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news40E22C6-767D-467D-8EF1-A76A32B70A36@microsoft.com...
> Okay. I know enough to get myself into trouble, but I don't know exactly
> what to do for my wireless security. I see other wirelss networks from
> neighborhood routers and some show as secure, some unsecure. All I can
> make
> out about mine is:
> *The firewall is on.
> *The network shows connected
> Do the neighbors see this as secure when they view my router, or is there
> specific setup to do this. Set up a Password?

In addition to Steve's comments see this page for wireless security
guidance...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...sSecurity.html

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...

Papa

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <bcmaven@mvps.org> wrote in message
> In article <D40E22C6-767D-467D-8EF1-A76A32B70A36@microsoft.com>,
> Another me <Anotherme@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>Okay. I know enough to get myself into trouble, but I don't know exactly
>>what to do for my wireless security. I see other wirelss networks from
>>neighborhood routers and some show as secure, some unsecure. All I can
>>make
>>out about mine is:
>>*The firewall is on.
>>*The network shows connected
>>Do the neighbors see this as secure when they view my router, or is there
>>specific setup to do this. Set up a Password?

> To make your network secure, enable encryption in your wireless
> router. You'll define an encryption type and an encryption key
> (password). Use the highest level of encryption that your equipment
> supports. Common encryption types, from least secure to most secure,
> are: 64-bit WEP, 128-bit WEP, WPA, and WPA2.
>
> The first time your computer tries to connect to your wireless network
> after that, you'll be asked to give the encryption key before the
> connection can be made.
> --
> Best Wishes,

Hi Steve:

I wish it was that simple, but apparently it isn't.

I just upgraded from Windows XP Home to Vista Home Premium on my laptop,
which is a Gateway 400SD4 equipped with a Netgear 32 bit CardBus MA521
wireless card.

Before starting the upgrade, the notebook had a connection to the internet
through my home network router, a Dlink DI-714P+. After the Vista upgrade
was completed, the connection was no longer there, although the laptop
recognized the home network SSID name.

The router has 128 bit encryption, and so I entered the 26 digit encryption
key into the laptop. No help, but the SSID name is still recognized.

Then I entered NO AUTHENTICATION. Still no help, but (again) the SSID name
is still recognized.

Then I changed the workgroup name from WORKGROUP (the default name for Vista
installations) to MSHOME (the default name for XP installations). Still no
help.

Another situation that may be related: I cannot turn on NETWORK DISCOVERY.
Yes, I followed the procedures. It just will not turn on.

I am not a computer novice, but this has me completely snowed. Any
suggestions will be most welcome.

Regards,

Papa

Papa

Re: simple? secure connection
Anyone?

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: simple? secure connection
Thanks for including the hardware you're using -- a lot of people don't do
that, and if there is incompatibility, that's necessary info to track it
down.

By "recognized the SSID," I assume you mean that Vista is seeing the
wireless network in the Connect To... dialog. What happens when you try to
connect? I assume you're prompted for the key to connect, and you enter it;
I'm unclear what happens next, as you say "No help, but the SSID name is
still recognized."

If you would repost with what errors you're seeing, I'll try to help out.

"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> a écrit dans le message de

> Hi Steve:
>
> I wish it was that simple, but apparently it isn't.
>
> I just upgraded from Windows XP Home to Vista Home Premium on my laptop,
> which is a Gateway 400SD4 equipped with a Netgear 32 bit CardBus MA521
> wireless card.
>
> Before starting the upgrade, the notebook had a connection to the internet
> through my home network router, a Dlink DI-714P+. After the Vista upgrade
> was completed, the connection was no longer there, although the laptop
> recognized the home network SSID name.
>
> The router has 128 bit encryption, and so I entered the 26 digit
> encryption key into the laptop. No help, but the SSID name is still
> recognized.
>
> Then I entered NO AUTHENTICATION. Still no help, but (again) the SSID name
> is still recognized.
>
> Then I changed the workgroup name from WORKGROUP (the default name for
> Vista installations) to MSHOME (the default name for XP installations).
> Still no help.
>
> Another situation that may be related: I cannot turn on NETWORK DISCOVERY.
> Yes, I followed the procedures. It just will not turn on.
>
> I am not a computer novice, but this has me completely snowed. Any
> suggestions will be most welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> Papa

Papa

Re: simple? secure connection
Thanks, Michael. I'll run through the process one more time, write down
exactly what occurs, and then post the info back to you in this thread.
Should be in an hour or so unless I get too stressed out and throw a brick
through the screen. ;>)

"Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)" <michael.bishop@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for including the hardware you're using -- a lot of people don't do
> that, and if there is incompatibility, that's necessary info to track it
> down.
>
> By "recognized the SSID," I assume you mean that Vista is seeing the
> wireless network in the Connect To... dialog. What happens when you try
> to connect? I assume you're prompted for the key to connect, and you
> enter it; I'm unclear what happens next, as you say "No help, but the SSID
> name is still recognized."
>
> If you would repost with what errors you're seeing, I'll try to help out.
>
> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> a écrit dans le message de
>>
>> Hi Steve:
>>
>> I wish it was that simple, but apparently it isn't.
>>
>> I just upgraded from Windows XP Home to Vista Home Premium on my laptop,
>> which is a Gateway 400SD4 equipped with a Netgear 32 bit CardBus MA521
>> wireless card.
>>
>> Before starting the upgrade, the notebook had a connection to the
>> internet through my home network router, a Dlink DI-714P+. After the
>> Vista upgrade was completed, the connection was no longer there, although
>> the laptop recognized the home network SSID name.
>>
>> The router has 128 bit encryption, and so I entered the 26 digit
>> encryption key into the laptop. No help, but the SSID name is still
>> recognized.
>>
>> Then I entered NO AUTHENTICATION. Still no help, but (again) the SSID
>> name is still recognized.
>>
>> Then I changed the workgroup name from WORKGROUP (the default name for
>> Vista installations) to MSHOME (the default name for XP installations).
>> Still no help.
>>
>> Another situation that may be related: I cannot turn on NETWORK
>> DISCOVERY. Yes, I followed the procedures. It just will not turn on.
>>
>> I am not a computer novice, but this has me completely snowed. Any
>> suggestions will be most welcome.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Papa

Papa

Re: simple? secure connection
Well, Michael, here is my very wordy description of what I encountered.

I first clicked on the wireless connection icon at the bottom right hand
edge of my computer screen. Then I clicked on "Connect to a network".

A screen page appeared that is entitled "Connect to a network". It provided
two network choices to click on. One of the choices is the name of my home
network. Lets call it "myhomenetwork". This network is described as a
"security-enabled network". The other choice is a network called "default",
which is described as an "Unsecured network". I don't know where the
"default" network came from, but probably was some incorrect thing that I
did.

So I selected "myhomenetwork" and clicked on the "Connect" button at the
bottom right hand corner of this screen page.

Then an error message appeared that said "Windows cannot connect to
"myhomenetwork", along with 2 choices:

(1). Diagnose the problem

(2). Connect to a different network

I clicked on choice (1). A message appeared briefly that said "Identifying
the problem", followed by a screen page entitled "Windows Network
Diagnostics". There were 2 options:

(a). Make sure your computer is in the range of "myhomenetwork" and that the
network settings match the wireless router or access point settings.

Click here to close dialog box.

(b) View available wireless networks

You can try connecting to "myhomenetwork" again or try connecting to a
different network. If you own or set up this network, reset your wireless
router or access point and try connecting again.

I first clicked on choice (a). All that did was bring me back to the bare
desktop.

Then I went through all of the above again and clicked on choice (b). This
brought me back to the "connect to a network" screen, showing the
"myhomenetwork" network and the "default" network.

So this time I clicked on the "Set up a connection" or network" button at
the bottom left hand edge of this screen page. A new screen page appeared,
entitled "Choose a connection option". It provided 5 choices. I decided to
choose "Manually connect to a wireless network". After clicking on NEXT, a
new screen page appeared, entitled "Enter information for the wireless
network you want to add". I entered "myhomenetwork" (without the quotes) in
the first box, WEP for security type, the third box (encryption type) was
grayed out so I couldn't enter anything but showed WEP in the box, and I
entered my 26 hexadecimal digit security key in the fourth box. The security
key had been established about 2 years ago when I first set up my home
network, and has been working just fine for my Windows XP wireless
computers. I also selected "Start this connection automatically" and
"Connect even if the network is not broadcasting".

Then I clicked NEXT and a screen appeared entitled "A network entitled
"myhomenetwork" already exists. Two choices were provided:

(i). Use the existing network. Open the "connect to a network" dialog so I
can connect.

(ii). Choose a different name. Return to the setup page and choose a
different name.

The choice I made was (i)., which took me back once more to the screen page
entitled "Select a network to connect to". I selected "myhomenetwork" and
clicked on the "Connect" button at the bottom right hand edge of this screen
page. This just brought me to the "Windows cannot connect to
"myhomenetwork" screen.

That's about all I can think of right now. I feel like the entire process is
just leading me around in circles. Hope you can make some sense out of it,
and thank you for your efforts.

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

> Well, Michael, here is my very wordy description of what I encountered.
>
> I first clicked on the wireless connection icon at the bottom right hand
> edge of my computer screen. Then I clicked on "Connect to a network".
>

> A screen page appeared that is entitled "Connect to a network". It
> provided two network choices to click on. One of the choices is the name
> of my home network. Lets call it "myhomenetwork". This network is
> described as a "security-enabled network". The other choice is a network
> called "default", which is described as an "Unsecured network". I don't
> know where the "default" network came from, but probably was some
> incorrect thing that I did.

All correct so far....

> So I selected "myhomenetwork" and clicked on the "Connect" button at the
> bottom right hand corner of this screen page.
>
> Then an error message appeared that said "Windows cannot connect to
> "myhomenetwork", along with 2 choices:
>
> (1). Diagnose the problem
> (2). Connect to a different network
>
> I clicked on choice (1). A message appeared briefly that said
> "Identifying the problem", followed by a screen page entitled "Windows
> Network Diagnostics". There were 2 options:
>
> (a). Make sure your computer is in the range of "myhomenetwork" and that
> the network settings match the wireless router or access point settings.
>
> Click here to close dialog box.
>
> (b) View available wireless networks
>
> You can try connecting to "myhomenetwork" again or try connecting to a
> different network. If you own or set up this network, reset your wireless
> router or access point and try connecting again.

All the rest actually is just wandering around -- you created another
wireless profile, got an error because it conflicts with one you've already
got, etc. It sounds like you may have a settings issue somewhere; let's
start by cleaning out the profiles that are stored. Go to Network & Sharing
Center > Manage wireless networks. You've probably got one or several
network profiles stored here. Please remove the ones for the SSID
"myhomenetwork".

Now, things branch -- if your access point is normal, broadcasting the SSID
and visible, go through the above again -- Network Icon > Connect. Put your
mouse over the entry for "myhomenetwork", let the tooltip pop up, and make
sure what Windows is detecting about the network is correct. If everything
looks good, try to connect. If it fails, do the Diagnose process, then go
to Start > Right-click Computer > Manage; Event Viewer > Windows Logs >
System and look for Info messages from Diagnostics Networking.

Find info from those messages and post back here.

If your access point doesn't broadcast, I'd really suggest setting it to do
so first, while we figure this out; if that's not an option, then go through
the process you described in the section I cut out to create a wireless
profile from scratch; then try to connect, and if it fails, grab the
messages from the Event Log as described above.

Papa

Re: simple? secure connection
Thank you, Michael. Just now printing out your instructions. Will get back
to this thread with my results as soon as possible.

Regards,

Papa