Enabling Offline Folders

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBCLg==?=

Enabling Offline Folders
I am an administrator on my laptop. I went to the control panel and selected
to enable offline folders. A reboot was required.

When going into the directory view and right-clicking on my network drive,
the offline option(s) wasn't there. I went back to the control panel and saw
computer to activate Offline Files.

I restarted maybe 8 times in all. I also restored my entire O/S to the
factory install. When looking at the event viewer I can see the service
started, then after that I see the service stopped with no explanation. If I
try to start the offline service manually I get an error saying "Invalid path
or directory."

I have been on hold with HP for over 2 hours (literally). I have searched
online support from both HP and Microsoft and found nothing. Please help!

Mike
=?Utf-8?B?dG1wYw==?=

RE: Enabling Offline Folders
I have a similar problem with offline folders when connected/synced to a
Western Digital NetCenter. I went to the netcenter folder, selected it to be
offline, all went good, did some work offline, let it sync back to the
netdrive, all good, did some more offline work, deleting some folders on
purpose but for some reason the sync corrupted the corresponding deleted
folder on the netcenter. When I try to access the deleted folder on the
netcenter, it freezes up the netcenter and not even the off buttton with turn
it off. I have to unplug it, let it boot up, reboot my pc and then try to
access the netcenter, and all is fine except for the folder that should be
gone.

I tried removing the option to have the folder offline, no good either.

Windows Vista™ Ultimate 32bit
HP-Pavilion a1730n
System Model RK574AA-ABA a1730n
System Type X86-based PC
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, 2600 Mhz
Mobo: AUSUTek Model NODUSM3
Chipset: GeForce 6150 / nForce 410/430 MCP
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.04, 12/15/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Physical Memory 2GB

"Mike B." wrote:

> I am an administrator on my laptop. I went to the control panel and selected
> to enable offline folders. A reboot was required.
>
> When going into the directory view and right-clicking on my network drive,
> the offline option(s) wasn't there. I went back to the control panel and saw
> computer to activate Offline Files.
>
> I restarted maybe 8 times in all. I also restored my entire O/S to the
> factory install. When looking at the event viewer I can see the service
> started, then after that I see the service stopped with no explanation. If I
> try to start the offline service manually I get an error saying "Invalid path
> or directory."
>
> I have been on hold with HP for over 2 hours (literally). I have searched
> online support from both HP and Microsoft and found nothing. Please help!
>
> Mike

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBCLg==?=

RE: Enabling Offline Folders
I still am not able to use offline files. Again, it tells me that offlines
files is enabled, but not active. When trying to start the offline files
service manually I get a "Invalid path or directory." error. Please help!
Thanks!

"Mike B." wrote:

> I am an administrator on my laptop. I went to the control panel and selected
> to enable offline folders. A reboot was required.
>
> When going into the directory view and right-clicking on my network drive,
> the offline option(s) wasn't there. I went back to the control panel and saw
> computer to activate Offline Files.
>
> I restarted maybe 8 times in all. I also restored my entire O/S to the
> factory install. When looking at the event viewer I can see the service
> started, then after that I see the service stopped with no explanation. If I
> try to start the offline service manually I get an error saying "Invalid path
> or directory."
>
> I have been on hold with HP for over 2 hours (literally). I have searched
> online support from both HP and Microsoft and found nothing. Please help!
>
> Mike

James L. Williams

Re: Enabling Offline Folders
I have this same problem on three brand new gateway computers. Each gateway
has Vista Buisness, and I can't get this damn offline folders to activate.
It keeps telling me that I must restart, but it does not help. What makes
matters worse, is that these computers are attached to a windows .Net
domain, and I have the "My Documents" redirected to the server. Each of
these computers can view and open the documents, but they can't change the
documents or create new ones. And as you have stated, the Offline files is
not activating for this folder.

Where is Microsofts experts to answer this questions. I must say that for a
business, this is the worse windows release for from microsoft ever. I have
had several issues that my clients computers with vista can't get resolved,
and you hear nothing from Microsoft. Are they even monitoring their own
newsgroups anymore.

Regards,

James

"Mike B." <MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsDD5D56A-F062-4F62-80EE-6520AA68793C@microsoft.com...
>I still am not able to use offline files. Again, it tells me that offlines
> files is enabled, but not active. When trying to start the offline files
> service manually I get a "Invalid path or directory." error. Please help!
> Thanks!
>

> "Mike B." wrote:
>
>> I am an administrator on my laptop. I went to the control panel and
>> selected
>> to enable offline folders. A reboot was required.
>>
>> When going into the directory view and right-clicking on my network
>> drive,
>> the offline option(s) wasn't there. I went back to the control panel and
>> saw
>> this
>> computer to activate Offline Files.
>>
>> I restarted maybe 8 times in all. I also restored my entire O/S to the
>> factory install. When looking at the event viewer I can see the service
>> started, then after that I see the service stopped with no explanation.
>> If I
>> try to start the offline service manually I get an error saying "Invalid
>> path
>> or directory."
>>
>> I have been on hold with HP for over 2 hours (literally). I have searched
>> online support from both HP and Microsoft and found nothing. Please help!
>>
>> Mike

Tony

Ugh. I cant the Offline Files to be active
I have rebooted 6 times and even restored the laptop to factory settings...but no dice. This is frustrating.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBCLg==?=

RE: Ugh. I cant the Offline Files to be active
Here is the response I got from a tech at Microsoft:

We'd like you to try reinitializing the cache and then checking whether
Offline Files starts. Please review the following instructions carefully
before proceeding:

To reinitialize the Offline Files cache, create the following DWORD registry
value with a value of 1 and restart the system.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Paramet ers\FormatDatabase

*Note that any unsynchronized changes will be lost. In addition, any files
and folders pinned by means other than Folder Redirection or Group Policy
will no longer be pinned on that client.*

The setting of this registry value may be automated using REG.EXE.

REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\CSC\Parame ters" /v
FormatDatabase /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f