Vista does not see XP computers on home network

=?Utf-8?B?QXByaWw=?=

Vista does not see XP computers on home network
Existing home network has been set up between two xp media center computers
through an action tech wireless modem, recently purchased vaio ar laptop with
windows vista prof, attempted to add to existing network, laptop uses modem
for wireless internet but will not see two existing xp computers for file
sharing.
Richard G. Harper

Re: Vista does not see XP computers on home network
Make sure you have run the Network Setup wizard in Vista, make sure that all
the choices you make are the same as the ones on the prior computers. If
your new computer has some sort of non-Microsoft firewall or "Internet
Security" software, uninstall it while you set up your new network and then
reinstall it when the network is working.

"April" <April@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Existing home network has been set up between two xp media center
> computers
> through an action tech wireless modem, recently purchased vaio ar laptop
> with
> windows vista prof, attempted to add to existing network, laptop uses
> modem
> for wireless internet but will not see two existing xp computers for file
> sharing.

=?Utf-8?B?SXNhYWMgTGFCYXV2ZQ==?=

RE: Vista does not see XP computers on home network
I have a similar problem.
Setup: I have 3 Desktops and one laptop. One is Running Windows XP Home
(Desktop 1), one is running Windows XP MCE (Desktop 2) and one is running
Windows Vista Home Premium (Desktop 3). The laptop is running Windows XP
Home. They are all connected via a wireless network. Internet access is
fine on all computers. All computers on on the MSHOME workgroup. All
computers can ping each other properly. On Desktop 3 (Vista), The network is
set to private. Network Discovery is set on "Custom" and is illuminated
green. When a change is attempted the only option is to "Turn on Network
Discovery" and click apply. When this is done, nothing happens and the same
options are available. Files sharing is On. Public folder sharing is On.
Printer sharing is Off as there are not printers for it to share and On is
not an option. Password Protected Sharing is Off. Media Sharing is On.
Windows firewall is turned off and Norton Antvirus settings are set to permit
all traffic.

Problem: Desktop 3 will not connect to, sometimes will not even see,
Desktops 1 & 2. It will see the laptop and has no problem filesharing with
it. Desktops 1 and 2 share printers and files with each other fine. I need
Desktop 3 to connect to Desktop 2 and use it's shared printers. When Desktop
3 does see Desktop 1 or 2 it will either get an access is denied error or
something about not being able to connect using the SMB port. I wish I oculd
give you more specifics but it doesn't see anyone else on the network right
now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated by the bothof us I am sure. Thanks in
advance,
Isaac LaBauve
Circuit City In Home Firedog Technician

"April" wrote:

> Existing home network has been set up between two xp media center computers
> through an action tech wireless modem, recently purchased vaio ar laptop with
> windows vista prof, attempted to add to existing network, laptop uses modem
> for wireless internet but will not see two existing xp computers for file
> sharing.

=?Utf-8?B?SmV6?=

RE: Vista does not see XP computers on home network
Just want to say thanks for all your advise, we have found the problem,
action tech is not compatible with vista,

"April" wrote:

> Existing home network has been set up between two xp media center computers
> through an action tech wireless modem, recently purchased vaio ar laptop with
> windows vista prof, attempted to add to existing network, laptop uses modem
> for wireless internet but will not see two existing xp computers for file
> sharing.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista does not see XP computers on home network
Make sure no firewall blocks sharing or install the LLTD. These two cases may help,

Solved: Vista can't access XPHow to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com > > i have vista ultimate, and im trying to use my printer on my xp pro ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=283

Vista: can't see XPXP-Pro SP2) and all in the same workgroup. Both of the xp machines can address each other using \\machinename but the vista machine cannot. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...294c30 a325d7

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"April" <April@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1C95B58-FCC8-4500-934D-ACB4C8B37FA0@microsoft.com...
Existing home network has been set up between two xp media center computers
through an action tech wireless modem, recently purchased vaio ar laptop with
windows vista prof, attempted to add to existing network, laptop uses modem
for wireless internet but will not see two existing xp computers for file
sharing.
Stuart Levine

Did you ever solve this issue?
I just recently purchased a Dell with Windows Vista Home Premium for my mother. Her husband has a Windows XP Media Edition computer where she would access shared folders and a shared printer (similar to your situation). Anyway, both are also in MSHOME workgroup and I can see GEORGE (her husband's computer) but anytime I try to browse or connect to the printer I either get the "Access Denied" error or a prompt for login, for which I enter the credentials for the Owner and then receive this strange message from Vista stating that the credentials are different and should it convert the credentials to the new format. If you attempt to answer yes, you get an error. Any insight you have would be helpful. I'm beginning to HATE Vista. I can't believe that Vista machines can not access XP shared folders and printers. I would hope there was some downward compatible mechanism to assist with this??

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
lubykelley@gmail.com

Re: Did you ever solve this issue?
On Mar 6, 9:37 am, Stuart Levine wrote:
> I just recently purchased a Dell withWindowsVistaHome Premium for my mother. Her husband has aWindowsXP Media Edition computer where she would access shared folders and a shared printer (similar to your situation). Anyway, both are also in MSHOME workgroup and I canseeGEORGE (her husband's computer) but anytime I try to browse or connect to the printer I either get the "Access Denied" error or a prompt for login, for which I enter the credentials for the Owner and then receive this strange message fromVistastating that the credentials are different and should it convert the credentials to the new format. If you attempt to answer yes, you get an error. Any insight you have would be helpful. I'm beginning to HATEVista. I can't believe thatVistamachines cannotaccess XP shared folders and printers. I would hope there was some downward compatible mechanism to assist with this??
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Stuart
>
> EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choicehttp://www.eggheadcafe.com

DID ANYONE EVER GET THIS ISSUE SOLVED? I'M HAVING THE SAME TROUBLE,
EXACTLY AS STUARTLEVINE, BUT I THINK I'M HATING VISTA MORE. I WANT TO
LIKE IT, BUT THIS SEEMS LIKE A NO-BRAINER. COULD BE ON MY PART.
PLEASE REPLY SOMEONE!

Papa Squat!

RE: Vista does not see XP computers on home network
Just wondering if this problem was resolved. I have exactly the same
problem. Would add that my XP machines can access files on the Vista box,
but the vista box wants log in ID and password when none are set. Also, the
Vista box won't find shared printers on the XP boxes. Thanks for your time...
....Dan

"April" wrote:

> Existing home network has been set up between two xp media center computers
> through an action tech wireless modem, recently purchased vaio ar laptop with
> windows vista prof, attempted to add to existing network, laptop uses modem
> for wireless internet but will not see two existing xp computers for file
> sharing.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista does not see XP computers on home network
Try to create the same username of XP on the Vista. Or this link may help,

Vista Permission IssuesPost Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am Post subject: How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote . ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

"April" wrote:

> Existing home network has been set up between two xp media center computers
> through an action tech wireless modem, recently purchased vaio ar laptop with
> windows vista prof, attempted to add to existing network, laptop uses modem
> for wireless internet but will not see two existing xp computers for file
> sharing.

Chuck

Re: Vista does not see XP computers on home network
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 19:01:03 -0700, Papa Squat!
<PapaSquat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"April" wrote:
>
>> Existing home network has been set up between two xp media center computers
>> through an action tech wireless modem, recently purchased vaio ar laptop with
>> windows vista prof, attempted to add to existing network, laptop uses modem
>> for wireless internet but will not see two existing xp computers for file
>> sharing.

>Just wondering if this problem was resolved. I have exactly the same
>problem. Would add that my XP machines can access files on the Vista box,
>but the vista box wants log in ID and password when none are set. Also, the
>Vista box won't find shared printers on the XP boxes. Thanks for your time...
>...Dan

Hi Dan,

Networking a computer running Windows Vista with other computers running Windows
XP or earlier operating systems can be unbelievably complex. There is just no
one solution. Do you have a thread of your own, anywhere, describing your
individual problem in detail? If so, we can look at your problem, and maybe
both of us will learn from the experience.

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT