ics Vista-XP not possible

Sergio Millich

ics Vista-XP not possible
Has anyone managed to get ics working with a Vista PC connected to internet
and an XP PC on the network? I've already posted saying that I couldn't do
it with Ethernet. I've set up a wireless nework with the same configuration
and the result is... the same. Both computers share about anything and are
indeed connected by wireless, but somehow the XP PC can't get access to the
broadband connection. This isn't a firewall problem because I've tried just
about everything for hours. Anyone else had a better experience?

Steve Winograd [MVP]

Re: ics Vista-XP not possible
In article <B3069F96-8754-4F6D-B56F-A2DC0A087521@microsoft.com>,
"Sergio Millich" <millichs@iprolink.ch> wrote:
>Has anyone managed to get ics working with a Vista PC connected to internet
>and an XP PC on the network? I've already posted saying that I couldn't do
>it with Ethernet. I've set up a wireless nework with the same configuration
>and the result is... the same. Both computers share about anything and are
>indeed connected by wireless, but somehow the XP PC can't get access to the
>broadband connection. This isn't a firewall problem because I've tried just
>about everything for hours. Anyone else had a better experience?

I'm running ICS with a Vista host giving Internet access to an XP
client, and it works fine.

Here are some tests that can help you find the problem. I'd try it
first on wired Ethernet, to eliminate any extra complications from
wireless:

1. On the Vista host computer:

a. Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center.
b. Click "Manage network connections".
c. Click the local area network connection.
d. Click Details. It should show:

IPv4 IP Address: 192.168.0.1
IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
IPv4 Default Gateway: none
IPv4 DNS Server = none

2. On the XP client computer:

a. Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections >
Network Connections
b. Right click the local area network connection.
c. Click Status > Support > Details. It should show:

IP Address: 192.168.0.x (1<x<255)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS Server = 192.168.0.1

3. If #1 and #2 are right, open a command prompt window on XP and
enter these lines. Each one should get four replies:

ping 216.239.39.99
ping google.com

4. If #1-#3 are right, enter these addresses in Internet Explorer on
XP. Both should take you to the Google web page:

http://216.239.39.99
http://google.com
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Sergio Millich

Re: ics Vista-XP not possible
Thank you for your advice. However if I indeed get steps 1 & 2 correctly on
my network, I do not get #3. when I ping your adresses I get a timeout
message. The problem is I think specific to my configuration: I use a USB
ADSL modem (speedtouch) and when I've installed it on Vista it configured
two connections, one for the Internet and another one for the local network.
I cannot share the one for the Internet because it doesn't even have a
"share" tab. I can only configure the local connection as shared. Then I
have a third connection for the ethernet card (which is also a local
connection), to which I give the 192.168.0.1 IP address. Somehow things
aren't working properly between all these connections. This is strange
because I had the same configuration when I shared ics on XP, and it worked
perfectly then.

Best,
Sergio Millich

In article <A20818C2-0B3D-4DAA-9770-5ED7E55BA7D8@microsoft.com>,
> [...]

>> http://google.com

>Thank you for your advice. However if I indeed get steps 1 & 2 correctly on
>my network, I do not get #3. when I ping your adresses I get a timeout
>message. The problem is I think specific to my configuration: I use a USB
>ADSL modem (speedtouch) and when I've installed it on Vista it configured
>two connections, one for the Internet and another one for the local network.
>I cannot share the one for the Internet because it doesn't even have a
>"share" tab. I can only configure the local connection as shared. Then I
>have a third connection for the ethernet card (which is also a local
>connection), to which I give the 192.168.0.1 IP address. Somehow things
>aren't working properly between all these connections. This is strange
>because I had the same configuration when I shared ics on XP, and it worked

I think that you need to share the Internet connection, not the local
connection. I don't know why there isn't a Sharing tab in the
Internet connection's properties.

Don't make any manual settings on the third connection -- let ICS
configure it.

Can you connect the ADSL modem to your computer using Ethernet instead
of USB? That would be a much more robust setup. If the computer only
has one Ethernet adapter, you could add a second one -- PCI card or
USB Ethernet adapter -- for the ADSL modem.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Sergio Millich

Re: ics Vista-XP not possible
I've been told by Thomson that they still had a few problems with their
driver on Vista, but as far as it went, I could use their modem to connect
to the Internet. Because it is a USB ADSL modem I cannot connect it to my PC
with ethernet. Maybe on a future upgrade, the modem software will get set up
more appropriately, so that you could indeed share the internet connection,
not the local network one.

>>> http://google.com

In article <B34A49A8-CECD-4D01-919A-1EE116D2CE7C@microsoft.com>,
"Sergio Millich" <millichs@iprolink.ch> wrote:
>I've been told by Thomson that they still had a few problems with their
>driver on Vista, but as far as it went, I could use their modem to connect
>to the Internet. Because it is a USB ADSL modem I cannot connect it to my PC
>with ethernet. Maybe on a future upgrade, the modem software will get set up
>more appropriately, so that you could indeed share the internet connection,
>not the local network one.
>
>Sergio Millich

That makes sense. Thomson isn't the only manufacturer that doesn't
have full Vista support for its gear yet.

Can you connect the ADSL modem to your XP computer and use it as the
ICS host?
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
David Lee

ICS Vista-XP
Hello, Sergio Milich, I have the same problems as yours, but I found the solution. First you have to set a static IP on Vista Lan Conection. Second you have to set to Obtain IP Automatically to your XP Conection. It didnt work until I replace the router with a Switch, there are router that is not compatible with Vista. Now I used a DLink Fast Ethernet Switch.

David

http://www.eggheadcafe.com