XP cannot see Vista, Vista can see XP (but very slowly)

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgSm9uZXM=?=

XP cannot see Vista, Vista can see XP (but very slowly)
I have two XP Pro PC's and a new Vista Business notebook on my home network.
The Vista PC can see the two XP PC's and copy files from them, but very
slowly. Sometimes, the Vista PC just displays "Not Responding" for what seems
a very long time. Neither of the XP PC's can connect to the Vista PC shares.
The message that apears is as follows:-

\\PCName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
have access permissions.

Access is denied.

I have set up the new Vista PC in exactly the same way as the two XP PC's,
using the same workgroup name, and defining shares on the Vista PC.
--
Chris Jones

=?Utf-8?B?QXByaWw=?=

RE: XP cannot see Vista, Vista can see XP (but very slowly)
we cant get vista to see our xp computers, for file sharing is there anything
that you had to do in your home network to get vista to see your existing
home network?

"Chris Jones" wrote:

> I have two XP Pro PC's and a new Vista Business notebook on my home network.
> The Vista PC can see the two XP PC's and copy files from them, but very
> slowly. Sometimes, the Vista PC just displays "Not Responding" for what seems
> a very long time. Neither of the XP PC's can connect to the Vista PC shares.
> The message that apears is as follows:-
>
> \\PCName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
> have access permissions.
>
> Access is denied.
>

> I have set up the new Vista PC in exactly the same way as the two XP PC's,
> using the same workgroup name, and defining shares on the Vista PC.
> --
> Chris Jones

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgSm9uZXM=?=

RE: XP cannot see Vista, Vista can see XP (but very slowly)

As I said in my original post, I did the exact same thing as I have done in
Win2k and WinXP. Unfortunately, Vista does not connect very well to XP at
all, so the connection that is there is pretty useless.
--
Chris Jones

"April" wrote:

> we cant get vista to see our xp computers, for file sharing is there anything
> that you had to do in your home network to get vista to see your existing
> home network?
>
> "Chris Jones" wrote:
>
> > I have two XP Pro PC's and a new Vista Business notebook on my home network.
> > The Vista PC can see the two XP PC's and copy files from them, but very
> > slowly. Sometimes, the Vista PC just displays "Not Responding" for what seems
> > a very long time. Neither of the XP PC's can connect to the Vista PC shares.
> > The message that apears is as follows:-
> >
> > \\PCName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
> > have access permissions.
> >
> > Access is denied.
> >

> > I have set up the new Vista PC in exactly the same way as the two XP PC's,
> > using the same workgroup name, and defining shares on the Vista PC.
> > --
> > Chris Jones

=?Utf-8?B?S2ltIFtNU10=?=

RE: XP cannot see Vista, Vista can see XP (but very slowly)
Chris,
I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. There are some changes in Vista
over XP regarding file and printer sharing. Please read through the
following article and follow the steps. Let me know if this doesn't solve
your problem:

"Chris Jones" wrote:

> I have two XP Pro PC's and a new Vista Business notebook on my home network.
> The Vista PC can see the two XP PC's and copy files from them, but very
> slowly. Sometimes, the Vista PC just displays "Not Responding" for what seems
> a very long time. Neither of the XP PC's can connect to the Vista PC shares.
> The message that apears is as follows:-
>
> \\PCName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
> have access permissions.
>
> Access is denied.
>

> I have set up the new Vista PC in exactly the same way as the two XP PC's,
> using the same workgroup name, and defining shares on the Vista PC.
> --
> Chris Jones

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlbGw=?=

RE: XP cannot see Vista, Vista can see XP (but very slowly)
Eventually, that article gets to the 'How-To', but assumes that the reader is
connecting the printer to another Vista machine. Not everyone who bought a
new computer and with no choice but Vista for an OS uppgraded their whole
network to Vista.

Some have XP, and some have 98SE and some have all three - I being the
latter and I can tell you, Vista sucks when it comes to doing anything
outside of it's own ego - especially since every hardware and software
manufacturer is scrambling to meet the psychotic needs of Vista.

"Kim [MS]" wrote:

> Chris,
> I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. There are some changes in Vista
> over XP regarding file and printer sharing. Please read through the
> following article and follow the steps. Let me know if this doesn't solve
> your problem:
>

> "Chris Jones" wrote:
>
> > I have two XP Pro PC's and a new Vista Business notebook on my home network.
> > The Vista PC can see the two XP PC's and copy files from them, but very
> > slowly. Sometimes, the Vista PC just displays "Not Responding" for what seems
> > a very long time. Neither of the XP PC's can connect to the Vista PC shares.
> > The message that apears is as follows:-
> >
> > \\PCName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
> > have access permissions.
> >
> > Access is denied.
> >

> > I have set up the new Vista PC in exactly the same way as the two XP PC's,
> > using the same workgroup name, and defining shares on the Vista PC.
> > --
> > Chris Jones

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXMgSm9uZXM=?=

RE: XP cannot see Vista, Vista can see XP (but very slowly)
Unfortunately, that article did not help. Neither of my XP machines can
access my Vista PC. They both see it in Microsoft Windows Network, but
connecting to it generates the error I noted above.

When I open a command window in either XP box and type net view \\vistapc, I
merely get the response:-

"System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied"

What do I have to do on the Vista PC to correct this obvious error????

If no-one here can give me a satisfactory answer, I will have to go back to
Windows XP on my new PC and wait another year or so until Microsoft fix this
(maybe in SP2).
--
Chris Jones

"Kim [MS]" wrote:

> Chris,
> I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. There are some changes in Vista
> over XP regarding file and printer sharing. Please read through the
> following article and follow the steps. Let me know if this doesn't solve
> your problem:
>

> "Chris Jones" wrote:
>
> > I have two XP Pro PC's and a new Vista Business notebook on my home network.
> > The Vista PC can see the two XP PC's and copy files from them, but very
> > slowly. Sometimes, the Vista PC just displays "Not Responding" for what seems
> > a very long time. Neither of the XP PC's can connect to the Vista PC shares.
> > The message that apears is as follows:-
> >
> > \\PCName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
> > have access permissions.
> >
> > Access is denied.
> >

> > I have set up the new Vista PC in exactly the same way as the two XP PC's,
> > using the same workgroup name, and defining shares on the Vista PC.
> > --
> > Chris Jones

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlbGw=?=

RE: XP cannot see Vista, Vista can see XP (but very slowly)
Chris,

I was finally able to get my XO and Vista to communicate. I found I had to
go into the Public folder on Vista, and as Admin, Share that folder and
others below it. I also changed the defauklt Workgroup to my defined Network
group. I can't yet use the \\vista but I canif I use my network on XP to see
Vista.

As for sharing the printer, I was able to manage to do this too, but wasn't
worth it because, when I print rom XP to the Vista printer, it takes about 4
minutes for Vista allow, then print. Faster to run it off to a print shop
somewhere HP tells me they are working hard to get a working driver so my
printer performs better with Vista.

Like you, I considered putting XP on here, but it's a Duo Core HP and as I
understand it, hard to find XP drivrs for it - stuck, with Vista until
SP2,Version 6.12, Rev 5.7 Beta 9 is out.

"Chris Jones" wrote:

> Unfortunately, that article did not help. Neither of my XP machines can
> access my Vista PC. They both see it in Microsoft Windows Network, but
> connecting to it generates the error I noted above.
>
> When I open a command window in either XP box and type net view \\vistapc, I
> merely get the response:-
>
> "System error 5 has occurred.
>
> Access is denied"
>
> What do I have to do on the Vista PC to correct this obvious error????
>
> If no-one here can give me a satisfactory answer, I will have to go back to
> Windows XP on my new PC and wait another year or so until Microsoft fix this
> (maybe in SP2).
> --
> Chris Jones
>

> "Kim [MS]" wrote:
>
> > Chris,
> > I'm sorry you're experiencing problems. There are some changes in Vista
> > over XP regarding file and printer sharing. Please read through the
> > following article and follow the steps. Let me know if this doesn't solve
> > your problem:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net.../vista_fp.mspx
> >

> > "Chris Jones" wrote:
> >
> > > I have two XP Pro PC's and a new Vista Business notebook on my home network.
> > > The Vista PC can see the two XP PC's and copy files from them, but very
> > > slowly. Sometimes, the Vista PC just displays "Not Responding" for what seems
> > > a very long time. Neither of the XP PC's can connect to the Vista PC shares.
> > > The message that apears is as follows:-
> > >
> > > \\PCName is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
> > > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you
> > > have access permissions.
> > >
> > > Access is denied.
> > >

> > > I have set up the new Vista PC in exactly the same way as the two XP PC's,
> > > using the same workgroup name, and defining shares on the Vista PC.
> > > --
> > > Chris Jones

=?Utf-8?B?QldhbHRvbg==?=

RE: XP cannot see Vista, Vista can see XP (but very slowly)
My vista comp connects via a D-Link gateway to the internet - as does my old
xp pro comp. Both desktops connect fine to the net. My printers, connected to
the xp machine, work well and are 'shared', but neither printer can be
activated from the vista desktop - ie the print command on the vista does not
produce a printed document. Obviously, both desktops are on and connected via
ethernet cdables to the D-link 'gateway. Incidentally, on trhe vista, the
network map identifies the old xp machine!!