XP can access Vista but Vista can't access XP

=?Utf-8?B?VHJhdmVsaW4nIExpYnJhcmlhbg==?=

XP can access Vista but Vista can't access XP
I've got a three computer network, an NT box (which we can ignore unless you
can help on that too), an XP Pro box, and a Vista Tablet. I've been able to
successfully access Vista's public folders from the XP box and I can see the
XP box on the network map on the Vista tablet. (Installed LLTD on the XP box
to get that to work.) But, whenever I try to get to the shared printers or
folders on the XP box from the Vista tablet it won't give me access.

Vista's network diagnostics is telling me the following after I've tried
just entering \\MSAUERS3 to get into the XP box:

"MSAUERS3" is not set up to establish a connection on port
"File and Printer Sharing (SMB)" with this computer.

I am not running a third party firewall and File and Printer Sharing is
allowed via the Windows firewall on both computers.

File and Printer sharing is turned on on the XP Box.

(This all worked before I upgraded the Tablet to Vista.)
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: XP can access Vista but Vista can't access XP
Assuming no firewall is running, can you ping each other by IP?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Travelin' Librarian" <Travelin' Librarian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:695A3F4C-6CCE-4A3F-8648-1D78A0074E61@microsoft.com...
[...]

=?Utf-8?B?VHJhdmVsaW4nJyBMaWJyYXJpYW4=?=

Re: XP can access Vista but Vista can't access XP
Yes, in both directions.

Michael

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Assuming no firewall is running, can you ping each other by IP?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Travelin' Librarian" <Travelin' Librarian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:695A3F4C-6CCE-4A3F-8648-1D78A0074E61@microsoft.com...
> I've got a three computer network, an NT box (which we can ignore unless you
> can help on that too), an XP Pro box, and a Vista Tablet. I've been able to
> successfully access Vista's public folders from the XP box and I can see the
> XP box on the network map on the Vista tablet. (Installed LLTD on the XP box
> to get that to work.) But, whenever I try to get to the shared printers or
> folders on the XP box from the Vista tablet it won't give me access.
>
> Vista's network diagnostics is telling me the following after I've tried
> just entering \\MSAUERS3 to get into the XP box:
>
> "MSAUERS3" is not set up to establish a connection on port
> "File and Printer Sharing (SMB)" with this computer.
>
> I am not running a third party firewall and File and Printer Sharing is
> allowed via the Windows firewall on both computers.
>
> File and Printer sharing is turned on on the XP Box.
>
> (This all worked before I upgraded the Tablet to Vista

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: XP can access Vista but Vista can't access XP
do you receive system error when doing net view \\remotepcip?

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Travelin'' Librarian" <TravelinLibrarian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7CF6464C-C6B7-4598-8084-138B47674AA5@microsoft.com...
Yes, in both directions.

Michael

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Assuming no firewall is running, can you ping each other by IP?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Travelin' Librarian" <Travelin' Librarian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:695A3F4C-6CCE-4A3F-8648-1D78A0074E61@microsoft.com...
> I've got a three computer network, an NT box (which we can ignore unless you
> can help on that too), an XP Pro box, and a Vista Tablet. I've been able to
> successfully access Vista's public folders from the XP box and I can see the
> XP box on the network map on the Vista tablet. (Installed LLTD on the XP box
> to get that to work.) But, whenever I try to get to the shared printers or
> folders on the XP box from the Vista tablet it won't give me access.
>
> Vista's network diagnostics is telling me the following after I've tried
> just entering \\MSAUERS3 to get into the XP box:
>
> "MSAUERS3" is not set up to establish a connection on port
> "File and Printer Sharing (SMB)" with this computer.
>
> I am not running a third party firewall and File and Printer Sharing is
> allowed via the Windows firewall on both computers.
>
> File and Printer sharing is turned on on the XP Box.
>
> (This all worked before I upgraded the Tablet to Vista

=?Utf-8?B?VHJhdmVsaW4nJyBMaWJyYXJpYW4=?=

Re: XP can access Vista but Vista can't access XP
Vista returns:
\\192.168.1.100
Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is
correct and the dstination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows
still cannot find the network path, contact your network administrator.

From XP I get a window showing all the shared folders on Vista but can only
get into the Public area. The other shared folders will not open.

Michael

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> do you receive system error when doing net view \\remotepcip?
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Travelin'' Librarian" <TravelinLibrarian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7CF6464C-C6B7-4598-8084-138B47674AA5@microsoft.com...
> Yes, in both directions.
>
> Michael
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > Assuming no firewall is running, can you ping each other by IP?
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Travelin' Librarian" <Travelin' Librarian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:695A3F4C-6CCE-4A3F-8648-1D78A0074E61@microsoft.com...
> > I've got a three computer network, an NT box (which we can ignore unless you
> > can help on that too), an XP Pro box, and a Vista Tablet. I've been able to
> > successfully access Vista's public folders from the XP box and I can see the
> > XP box on the network map on the Vista tablet. (Installed LLTD on the XP box
> > to get that to work.) But, whenever I try to get to the shared printers or
> > folders on the XP box from the Vista tablet it won't give me access.
> >
> > Vista's network diagnostics is telling me the following after I've tried
> > just entering \\MSAUERS3 to get into the XP box:
> >
> > "MSAUERS3" is not set up to establish a connection on port
> > "File and Printer Sharing (SMB)" with this computer.
> >
> > I am not running a third party firewall and File and Printer Sharing is
> > allowed via the Windows firewall on both computers.
> >
> > File and Printer sharing is turned on on the XP Box.
> >
> > (This all worked before I upgraded the Tablet to Vista

matmchugh

Re: XP can access Vista but Vista can't access XP

I couldn't access xp folders from vista, so thought i would try radmin 3
to see if i could control another pc on my network, and as i thought i
could i then realised my network was not connected when i installed
vista so went to
CONTROL PANEL>PROGRAMS AND FEATURES>TURN WINDOWS FEATURES ON OR OFF
click this and then scroll down and check the necessary network
features are enabled

Mat Mchugh

--
matmchugh
matmchugh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22606

http://forums.techarena.in

=?Utf-8?B?VHJhdmVsaW4nJyBMaWJyYXJpYW4=?=

Re: XP can access Vista but Vista can't access XP
I was connected to my network when I installed Vista. I've looked at the
screen you're pointing me to and what I think should be checked is checked.
Can you be more specific as to which ones you say should be selected so I can
be sure?

Michael

"matmchugh" wrote:

> I couldn't access xp folders from vista, so thought i would try radmin 3
> to see if i could control another pc on my network, and as i thought i
> could i then realised my network was not connected when i installed
> vista so went to
> CONTROL PANEL>PROGRAMS AND FEATURES>TURN WINDOWS FEATURES ON OR OFF
> click this and then scroll down and check the necessary network
> features are enabled
>
> Mat Mchugh
>

> --
> matmchugh
> matmchugh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22606
> View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=691506
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

matmchugh

Re: XP can access Vista but Vista can't access XP

Hi Michael,

I cannot say for certain what i enabled as my pc with vista ultimate on
is currentely being re-installed as i have a mobo withe the nforce2
chipset (leadtek kncr18gm)
and needed to re-install to sort out a few probs with the sound but
that'll be all fixed soon.
But if you look there was a short description of what each one does
either by the side of it or if you hold the mouse over it
i also went to my network connection properties page>client for
microsoft networks and selected windows locator
i also disabled ipv6 whilst i set up the ipv4 then once i had the ipv4
working using a manually configured ip i manually configured the ipv6
and it worked.
I had to edit the registry to disable ipv6 tunneling interface
I am sorry if this is difficult to understand/implement but i only have
about 30hrs actual vista experience. i wrote a tutorial on how to set
up which i will post up here in a bit as it's on my nforce2 pc which
according to a e-mail i recieved off nvidia "cannot run vista" but can,
perfectly,(my re-installing was down to bios issues)

i advise using tools like radmin and the like as i could access vista
files from xp home but could control the xp remotely from vista, which
meant traffic could go both ways but the vista computers necessary
networking features hadn't been enabled, but at first i couldn't even
see the xp computer

i will post the tutorial as soon as vista's back on
mat

--
matmchugh
matmchugh's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=22606
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=691506

http://forums.techarena.in

kingsley

Re: XP can access Vista but Vista can't access XP

please can you send a copy of the tuturials to my mailbox
(kingsley4christ777@yahoo.com). I am also experiencing this challenge in
using windows vista.

--
kingsley
kingsley's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kingsley.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Mick Murphy

Re: XP can access Vista but Vista can't access XP
Below is info on how to Network XP and Vista.
Info is NOT sent to private email addresses from here.

the SAME.

In Vista Network and Sharing:

File Sharing: ON

Docs)