Vista & XP Networking

=?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIwNjk=?=

Vista & XP Networking
I have just got a new laptop with Vista Home Basic and cannot see other
computers in my home network. The other computers are running XP Pro and can
communicate with each other but not with the Vista laptop. How do I resolve
the problem?

Jonathan Yaniv

Re: Vista & XP Networking
Hello,

It seems that it is restricting access to your Vista laptop. To fix this
issue, you will need to change the location of your network to Home, and not
private, or public. Also, you want to make sure that File and Printer
sharing is turned on. This should fix your issue.

--
Please comment about my performance about helping and/or resolving your
issue to Brian

Thank you

Jonathan Yaniv
Windows Live Butterfly Expert

"Radar069" <Radar069@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just got a new laptop with Vista Home Basic and cannot see other
> computers in my home network. The other computers are running XP Pro and
> can
> communicate with each other but not with the Vista laptop. How do I
> resolve
> the problem?

Richard G. Harper

Re: Vista & XP Networking
Did you run the Network Setup wizard on Vista and ensure that it's set up to
match the network settings on your current network?

Is there a non-Microsoft firewall or security suite installed? If so,
uninstall it (don't disable it, most firewall software doesn't disable
correctly anyway) and try setting up the network again, then reinstall the
software afterwards.

"Radar069" <Radar069@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just got a new laptop with Vista Home Basic and cannot see other
> computers in my home network. The other computers are running XP Pro and
> can
> communicate with each other but not with the Vista laptop. How do I
> resolve
> the problem?

=?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIwNjk=?=

Re: Vista & XP Networking
Thanks for the responses I have solved it now It was Norton Interneet
sercurity Blocking the router.

Again thanks all

"Richard G. Harper" wrote:

> Did you run the Network Setup wizard on Vista and ensure that it's set up to
> match the network settings on your current network?
>
> Is there a non-Microsoft firewall or security suite installed? If so,
> uninstall it (don't disable it, most firewall software doesn't disable
> correctly anyway) and try setting up the network again, then reinstall the
> software afterwards.

> "Radar069" <Radar069@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have just got a new laptop with Vista Home Basic and cannot see other
> > computers in my home network. The other computers are running XP Pro and
> > can
> > communicate with each other but not with the Vista laptop. How do I
> > resolve
> > the problem?

Richard G. Harper

Re: Vista & XP Networking
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

> Thanks for the responses I have solved it now It was Norton Interneet
> sercurity Blocking the router.
>
> Again thanks all
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
>> Did you run the Network Setup wizard on Vista and ensure that it's set up
>> match the network settings on your current network?
>>
>> Is there a non-Microsoft firewall or security suite installed? If so,
>> uninstall it (don't disable it, most firewall software doesn't disable
>> correctly anyway) and try setting up the network again, then reinstall
>> the
>> software afterwards.

>> "Radar069" <Radar069@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have just got a new laptop with Vista Home Basic and cannot see other
>> > computers in my home network. The other computers are running XP Pro
>> > and
>> > can
>> > communicate with each other but not with the Vista laptop. How do I
>> > resolve
>> > the problem?

=?Utf-8?B?RHIuIFN0cmV0Y2g=?=

Re: Vista & XP Networking
Hello Radar069,

If you uninstall your NIS or any virus protection program (that's nuts)
please re-install your virus program first, and make sure that it is running.
Your Virus program will automatically turn off the built-in firewall to
avoid conflicts (Virus program is not the reason you’re not seeing the
Network)

Once you've done this, we can begin the process getting you network
computers to show.

The process to do this is very simple and you don't need any Geek skills
I will lay out 12 steps to get you going. Please follow

Before you start go here to Microsoft and download this update LLTD
(KB922120) and save to your drive.
NOTE: this is only for SP2, if your still running SP1 you're SOL, sorry

This update was design for Vista to have the ability to see & show the XPs
on the network

Install the update and restart computer. Lets begin:

1. Open your Norton or, other Virus program
(I have NIS 2007 on Vista & NIS 2006 on XP) they both look the same.
2. Expand the Setting Tab
3. Under Web Browsing, click Personal Firewall
4. Click Configure, then if you are (Admin. click continue)
5. Goto Advance Settings (on side menu)
6. Click Configure
7. You are there (Do you notice all the RED arrows)
8. Click a selection (and the click Modify)
9. Setup it the way you like it (not the way Norton like it)
10. Restart the computer (after making all your firewall settings)
NOTE: Maybe for all except 3 items you should have checked Allow
11. When ready click Start, then Network --- wait for 3 or 4 sec, do you see
them now? GOOD
12. From Network Center add folders or printers to share (select folders for
read only)

THAT'S IT!!...Much Love, remember we must help each other, because the
manufacturers will not give advice/help on products that they do not own

"Radar069" wrote:

> Thanks for the responses I have solved it now It was Norton Interneet
> sercurity Blocking the router.
>
> Again thanks all
>
> "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
>
> > Did you run the Network Setup wizard on Vista and ensure that it's set up to
> > match the network settings on your current network?
> >
> > Is there a non-Microsoft firewall or security suite installed? If so,
> > uninstall it (don't disable it, most firewall software doesn't disable
> > correctly anyway) and try setting up the network again, then reinstall the
> > software afterwards.
> >
> > --
> > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> > * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> > * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Radar069" <Radar069@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have just got a new laptop with Vista Home Basic and cannot see other
> > > computers in my home network. The other computers are running XP Pro and
> > > can
> > > communicate with each other but not with the Vista laptop. How do I
> > > resolve
> > > the problem?

=?Utf-8?B?Q0dU?=

Re: Vista & XP Networking
What a star you are, you are spot on my problem is over Thankyou

"Dr. Stretch" wrote:

> Hello Radar069,
>
> If you uninstall your NIS or any virus protection program (that's nuts)
> please re-install your virus program first, and make sure that it is running.
> Your Virus program will automatically turn off the built-in firewall to
> avoid conflicts (Virus program is not the reason you’re not seeing the
> Network)
>
> Once you've done this, we can begin the process getting you network
> computers to show.
>
> The process to do this is very simple and you don't need any Geek skills
> I will lay out 12 steps to get you going. Please follow
>
> Before you start go here to Microsoft and download this update LLTD
> (KB922120) and save to your drive.
> NOTE: this is only for SP2, if your still running SP1 you're SOL, sorry
>
> This update was design for Vista to have the ability to see & show the XPs
> on the network

> Install the update and restart computer. Lets begin:
>
> 1. Open your Norton or, other Virus program
> (I have NIS 2007 on Vista & NIS 2006 on XP) they both look the same.
> 2. Expand the Setting Tab
> 3. Under Web Browsing, click Personal Firewall
> 4. Click Configure, then if you are (Admin. click continue)
> 5. Goto Advance Settings (on side menu)
> 6. Click Configure
> 7. You are there (Do you notice all the RED arrows)
> 8. Click a selection (and the click Modify)
> 9. Setup it the way you like it (not the way Norton like it)
> 10. Restart the computer (after making all your firewall settings)
> NOTE: Maybe for all except 3 items you should have checked Allow
> 11. When ready click Start, then Network --- wait for 3 or 4 sec, do you see
> them now? GOOD
> 12. From Network Center add folders or printers to share (select folders for
> read only)
>
> THAT'S IT!!...Much Love, remember we must help each other, because the
> manufacturers will not give advice/help on products that they do not own
>

> "Radar069" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the responses I have solved it now It was Norton Interneet
> > sercurity Blocking the router.
> >
> > Again thanks all
> >
> > "Richard G. Harper" wrote:
> >
> > > Did you run the Network Setup wizard on Vista and ensure that it's set up to
> > > match the network settings on your current network?
> > >
> > > Is there a non-Microsoft firewall or security suite installed? If so,
> > > uninstall it (don't disable it, most firewall software doesn't disable
> > > correctly anyway) and try setting up the network again, then reinstall the
> > > software afterwards.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
> > > * NEW! Catch my blog ... http://msmvps.com/blogs/rgharper/
> > > * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
> > > * The Website - http://rgharper.mvps.org/
> > > * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

=?Utf-8?B?UmFkYXIwNjk=?=

Re: Vista & XP Networking
Dr. Stretch.

I said nothing about uninstalling NIS I said it was BLOCKING, to get over
problem I permited the router in NIS. Trouble was it was not obvious on first
checking the firewall. Mind you I am thinking of ditching Norton and going
with AVG later.
Thanks ffor the advice anyway