IEEE1394 Firewire Connection

Chris

IEEE1394 Firewire Connection
Hi, I just go a laptop with Windows Vista and I'm trying to transfer files
from a Windows XP laptop using a IEEE1394 Fire wire connection, I have set
up a fire wire network using two XP computers in the past so I know that my
XP laptop is set up correct but I have NO IDEA what to do in Vista, I cant
even find any fire wire settings. If there is a way to do this can someone
please help me with this?
Thanks For The Help!!!!

Steve Winograd [MVP]

Re: IEEE1394 Firewire Connection
In article <e8PchEFWHHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, "Chris"
<cd00@adelphia.net> wrote:
>Hi, I just go a laptop with Windows Vista and I'm trying to transfer files
>from a Windows XP laptop using a IEEE1394 Fire wire connection, I have set
>up a fire wire network using two XP computers in the past so I know that my
>XP laptop is set up correct but I have NO IDEA what to do in Vista, I cant
>even find any fire wire settings. If there is a way to do this can someone
>please help me with this?
>Thanks For The Help!!!!

Microsoft decided, rightly or wrongly, that so few people use FireWire
networking that they didn't implement that capability in Vista.

For recent computers, gigabit Ethernet is a better choice.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Chris

Re: IEEE1394 Firewire Connection
Thanks for the help Steve,
I'll go with wrongly on this one, but that's just my opinion I guess. At
least now I can stop wasting my time to try to figure this out.
How much speed difference is there between using Firewire and a Ethernet
cable to transfer large amounts of pictures and Mp3's???
Once again Thanks for your help!!!
Chris

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <bcmaven@mvps.org> wrote in message
> In article <e8PchEFWHHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, "Chris"
> <cd00@adelphia.net> wrote:
>>Hi, I just go a laptop with Windows Vista and I'm trying to transfer files
>>from a Windows XP laptop using a IEEE1394 Fire wire connection, I have set
>>up a fire wire network using two XP computers in the past so I know that
>>my
>>XP laptop is set up correct but I have NO IDEA what to do in Vista, I cant
>>even find any fire wire settings. If there is a way to do this can someone
>>please help me with this?
>>Thanks For The Help!!!!

> Microsoft decided, rightly or wrongly, that so few people use FireWire
> networking that they didn't implement that capability in Vista.
>
> For recent computers, gigabit Ethernet is a better choice.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

PTravel

Re: IEEE1394 Firewire Connection

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" <bcmaven@mvps.org> wrote in message
> In article <e8PchEFWHHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, "Chris"
> <cd00@adelphia.net> wrote:
>>Hi, I just go a laptop with Windows Vista and I'm trying to transfer files
>>from a Windows XP laptop using a IEEE1394 Fire wire connection, I have set
>>up a fire wire network using two XP computers in the past so I know that
>>my
>>XP laptop is set up correct but I have NO IDEA what to do in Vista, I cant
>>even find any fire wire settings. If there is a way to do this can someone
>>please help me with this?
>>Thanks For The Help!!!!

> Microsoft decided, rightly or wrongly, that so few people use FireWire
> networking that they didn't implement that capability in Vista.
>
> For recent computers, gigabit Ethernet is a better choice.

Steve, though I agree, note that there is a problem with at least one
gigabit adapter in Vista. I'm running a Netgear GA511 PCMCIA adapter on my
new Sony SZ440 with Vista Business. Though, eventually, I was able to get
the adapter installed, Vista reports it is only running at 10 megabits
(that's not a type -- "ten"). It took me awhile to figure that, in fact, it
was running a full gigabit speed; I realized this only when I started
measuring throughput when I'd ftp across my gigabit LAN. Neither Netgear
(who insists that the GA511 is Vista-compatible) nor Sony have a solution,
and I can't talk to Microsoft support because this is an OEM installation of
Vista -- Microsoft says, "talk to Sony."

At least it's working, but this is a silly bug that caused me days of grief
until I realized that Vista was simply lying to me about the link speed.

However, yes, if you can't get the adapter running at full-speed, gigabit is
a pleasure. It's so fast that, for most programs, network drives are
treated as if they are local. I edit video across my LAN, something I
couldn't do before upgrading from 100BaseT to 1000BaseT.

"PTravel" <ptravel@travelersvideo.com> wrote in message

> However, yes, if you can't get the adapter running at full-speed, gigabit
> is a pleasure. It's so fast that, for most programs, network drives are
> treated as if they are local. I edit video across my LAN, something I
> couldn't do before upgrading from 100BaseT to 1000BaseT.

Silly typo: that should read, "yes, if you CAN get the adapter running at
full speed . . ."

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: IEEE1394 Firewire Connection
Firewire is 800 Mbps in the most recent version I've seen, with most things
still running at 400, I think. Gigabit is (as the name implies) 1Gbps =
1000Mbps.

While I haven't ever used a Firewire connection between machines, Gigabit is
pretty nice. ;-)

"Chris" <cd00@adelphia.net> a écrit dans le message de
> Thanks for the help Steve,
> I'll go with wrongly on this one, but that's just my opinion I guess.
> At
> least now I can stop wasting my time to try to figure this out.
> How much speed difference is there between using Firewire and a Ethernet
> cable to transfer large amounts of pictures and Mp3's???
> Once again Thanks for your help!!!
> Chris
>

> "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <bcmaven@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> In article <e8PchEFWHHA.1212@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, "Chris"
>> <cd00@adelphia.net> wrote:
>>>Hi, I just go a laptop with Windows Vista and I'm trying to transfer
>>>files
>>>from a Windows XP laptop using a IEEE1394 Fire wire connection, I have
>>>set
>>>up a fire wire network using two XP computers in the past so I know that
>>>my
>>>XP laptop is set up correct but I have NO IDEA what to do in Vista, I
>>>cant
>>>even find any fire wire settings. If there is a way to do this can
>>>someone
>>>please help me with this?
>>>Thanks For The Help!!!!

>> Microsoft decided, rightly or wrongly, that so few people use FireWire
>> networking that they didn't implement that capability in Vista.
>>
>> For recent computers, gigabit Ethernet is a better choice.
>> --
>> Best Wishes,
>> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
>>
>> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
>> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
>> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Chris

Re: IEEE1394 Firewire Connection
Thanks for the info, not sure how fast my new Toshiba laptop and my older
Sony laptop networt adapters are.
Is there a place in XP and Vista that I can check how fast my Ethernet
adapters are?
Thanks

"Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)" <michael.bishop@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Firewire is 800 Mbps in the most recent version I've seen, with most
> things still running at 400, I think. Gigabit is (as the name implies)
> 1Gbps = 1000Mbps.
>
> While I haven't ever used a Firewire connection between machines, Gigabit
> is pretty nice. ;-)
>
> "Chris" <cd00@adelphia.net> a écrit dans le message de
>> Thanks for the help Steve,
>> I'll go with wrongly on this one, but that's just my opinion I guess.
>> At
>> least now I can stop wasting my time to try to figure this out.
>> How much speed difference is there between using Firewire and a Ethernet
>> cable to transfer large amounts of pictures and Mp3's???
>> Once again Thanks for your help!!!
>> Chris
>>

>> "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <bcmaven@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Microsoft decided, rightly or wrongly, that so few people use FireWire
>>> networking that they didn't implement that capability in Vista.
>>>
>>> For recent computers, gigabit Ethernet is a better choice.
>>> --
>>> Best Wishes,
>>> Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)
>>>
>>> Please post any reply as a follow-up message in the news group
>>> for everyone to see. I'm sorry, but I don't answer questions
>>> addressed directly to me in E-mail or news groups.
>>>
>>> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional Program
>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: IEEE1394 Firewire Connection
Usually, it will be in the name of the adapter. Go to the NSC (Network
icon, Network & Sharing Center), click Manage network connections, then look
at the name of the adapter. If it includes the number 1000, the term GIGA,
etc. then it's probably Gigabit. If it includes the number 100, the term
"Fast Ethernet" or something similar, it's probably 100 Mbps. You'd have to
go fairly old to have a 10Mbps port built into a laptop.

For most older laptops, you'll probably have a 100 Mbps port; Gigabit has
been around for a while, but it's only become popular on the consumer side
more recently.

> Thanks for the info, not sure how fast my new Toshiba laptop and my older
> Sony laptop networt adapters are.
> Is there a place in XP and Vista that I can check how fast my Ethernet
> adapters are?
> Thanks
>

> "Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)" <michael.bishop@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Firewire is 800 Mbps in the most recent version I've seen, with most
>> things still running at 400, I think. Gigabit is (as the name implies)
>> 1Gbps = 1000Mbps.
>>
>> While I haven't ever used a Firewire connection between machines, Gigabit
>> is pretty nice. ;-)
>>
>> "Chris" <cd00@adelphia.net> a écrit dans le message de
>>> Thanks for the help Steve,
>>> I'll go with wrongly on this one, but that's just my opinion I guess.
>>> At
>>> least now I can stop wasting my time to try to figure this out.
>>> How much speed difference is there between using Firewire and a Ethernet
>>> cable to transfer large amounts of pictures and Mp3's???
>>> Once again Thanks for your help!!!
>>> Chris

Chris

Re: IEEE1394 Firewire Connection
Thanks for the help, looks like I got one of each, 1000 and a 100.