website not set up to establish connection with WWW service (HTTP)

=?Utf-8?B?c3Bvbw==?=

website not set up to establish connection with WWW service (HTTP)
just got a new laptop with vista on. Connects to wireless network router but
won't go the further step to connect to the internet. I get a message in
diagnose connection problems like this: "www.microsoft.com" is not set up to
establish a connection on port "World Wide Web service (HTTP)" with this
computer.
what do i do, i'm no expert.
please help me

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: website not set up to establish connection with WWW service (HTTP)
Can you ping a public IP like 4.2.2.1? If yes, can you ping yahoo.com? Post back with the result of ipconfig /all.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"spoo" <spoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09C29DA3-89BB-45D5-B1F3-1D0B31A61C84@microsoft.com...
just got a new laptop with vista on. Connects to wireless network router but
won't go the further step to connect to the internet. I get a message in
diagnose connection problems like this: "www.microsoft.com" is not set up to
establish a connection on port "World Wide Web service (HTTP)" with this
computer.
what do i do, i'm no expert.
please help me

=?Utf-8?B?S3JlemFzaA==?=

Re: website not set up to establish connection with WWW service (H
I have the same problem here. Able to ping google.com and public ip addresses
but I'm not able to even access my router's interface or surf any websites.
=?Utf-8?B?QXBwbGUgSXBvcmQ=?=

RE: website not set up to establish connection with WWW service (HTTP)
Same Problem Here
A_P_Haley

RE: website not set up to establish connection with WWW service (HTTP)
Same here. Anyone shed any light?

"spoo" wrote:

> just got a new laptop with vista on. Connects to wireless network router but
> won't go the further step to connect to the internet. I get a message in
> diagnose connection problems like this: "www.microsoft.com" is not set up to
> establish a connection on port "World Wide Web service (HTTP)" with this
> computer.
> what do i do, i'm no expert.
> please help me

Subversive

Re: website not set up to establish connection with WWW service (HTTP)

I was having this problem on my new PC which came preinstalled with
Vista, where although everything previously worked and I still had
internet connectivity, as shown by my still being able to refresh my
DHCP information, change my DNS settings, and ping my router, suddenly
DNS stopped resolving, not internet connections succeeded, and trying
to bring a a browser window resulted in the popup:

*www.microsoft.com is not set up to establish a connection on
port "World Wide Web service (HTTP)" with this computer.*

Well, I finally figured out the problem. I had recently installed
Kapersky AntiVirus. Kapersky wasn't the problem though. The problem
was that the the Dell computer came preinstalled with Norton Internet
Security, and that program was causing conflicts. I removed it through
Programs and Features on the Control Panel, and the problem went away.

I hopes this information helps someone else suffering with this
problem, as right now there is nothing else on Google out there with a
solution.

I'm still getting a lot of blue screens though, with symscan.exe.
Probably just more unstable crapware from Symantec that Dell
pre-installed. Hopefully, I'll figure it out before too long.

--
Subversive
Subversive's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30766

http://forums.techarena.in

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: website not set up to establish connection with WWW service (HTTP)
That is good. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Subversive" <Subversive.2wlqjd@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message news:Subversive.2wlqjd@DoNotSpam.com...

[...]

Torkel is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Robert--
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I spent six hours trying to troubleshoot this problem. Everything is again as it should be. I posted your solution in another thread addressing a simular situation.

lball is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, Subversive, for your reply. It was the hint I needed. A friend's Dell laptop had a similar problem. In his case, the problem turned out to be that the firewall in PC-cillin was blocking all incoming traffic to IE. Firefox worked OK. Turning the firewall off or modifying PC-cillin to allow incoming traffic to IE fixed the problem immediately.

Lindsay
ihatevi

Re: website not set up to establish connection with WWW service (HTTP)

Thanks, Subversive - That nailed it!!

--
ihatevi
ihatevi's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/ihatevi.htm