Windows vista home basic

=?Utf-8?B?R2VvZmYgTWFjLg==?=

Windows vista home basic
I have just purchased a new laptop which came pre loaded with vista home
basic. I intend to use this for an off campus post grad degree. I need to use
the DSL link at my office which has a network domain but vista won't allow
the laptop to connect to the domain. Any ideas?

I have tried looking for an upgrade to vista but there doesn't seem to be a
path from home basic to one that allows logging onto a domain (that I can
find). Help?

Steve Winograd [MVP]

Re: Windows vista home basic
In article <68FAD515-793A-4AF0-9C3E-C585047186C7@microsoft.com>, Geoff
Mac. <Geoff Mac.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I have just purchased a new laptop which came pre loaded with vista home
>basic. I intend to use this for an off campus post grad degree. I need to use
>the DSL link at my office which has a network domain but vista won't allow
>the laptop to connect to the domain. Any ideas?
>
>I have tried looking for an upgrade to vista but there doesn't seem to be a
>path from home basic to one that allows logging onto a domain (that I can
>find). Help?

It might be possible to access domain resources without logging onto
the domain. Ask the office IT people.

Business and Ultimate can log onto a domain, and you can upgrade from
Home Basic to Ultimate. I don't know the pricing, so I can't say
which is less expensive, but here are two options:

1. Upgrade from Home Basic to Ultimate.
2. Buy a full retail copy of Business and do a clean installation.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Windows vista home basic
As has already been mentioned, you don't necessarily need to be
domain-joined to access the resources or the network, but you may.

If you do need to be domain-joined, you would need to upgrade to Vista
Ultimate. Click Start, Control Panel, System and Maintenance, Windows
Anytime Upgrade. This will take you through the process of purchasing an

de news:68FAD515-793A-4AF0-9C3E-C585047186C7@microsoft.com...