XP Printer sharing!?

=?Utf-8?B?S2l3aWZyb2c=?=

XP Printer sharing!?
We have a simple home network of laptops and desktops running XP. The Canon
iP3000 is connected to the upstairs desktop.
I am installing Vista on the downstairs desktop, Vista tries using the
printer host driver without succes and ask for a Vista driver!?
Vista does have a driver for that printer, it installs it when moving the
printer downstairs, but does not install it when it finds the same printer on
the network!?
Canon does not help much telling that this configuration is not supported!?
Where can I find the Vista driver for this iP3000?
DVD, Web?
Thanks for helping!

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: XP Printer sharing!?
On which PC is the Canon printer installed? XP or Vista?

--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"Kiwifrog" <Kiwifrog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a simple home network of laptops and desktops running XP. The
> Canon
> iP3000 is connected to the upstairs desktop.
> I am installing Vista on the downstairs desktop, Vista tries using the
> printer host driver without succes and ask for a Vista driver!?
> Vista does have a driver for that printer, it installs it when moving the
> printer downstairs, but does not install it when it finds the same printer
> on
> the network!?
> Canon does not help much telling that this configuration is not
> supported!?
> Where can I find the Vista driver for this iP3000?
> DVD, Web?
> Thanks for helping!

DGuess

Re: XP Printer sharing!?
"Kiwifrog" <Kiwifrog@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a simple home network of laptops and desktops running XP. The
> Canon
> iP3000 is connected to the upstairs desktop.
> I am installing Vista on the downstairs desktop, Vista tries using the
> printer host driver without succes and ask for a Vista driver!?
> Vista does have a driver for that printer, it installs it when moving the
> printer downstairs, but does not install it when it finds the same printer
> on
> the network!?
> Canon does not help much telling that this configuration is not
> supported!?
> Where can I find the Vista driver for this iP3000?
> DVD, Web?
> Thanks for helping!

If Canon says it isn't support there little hope to find a driver elsewhere.

How are you trying to set this up?
Workgroup names are the same or on same domain?
The printer is set to be shared on the upstairs computer?
You are selecting the Add a network printer?
Vista on a public or private network?
If you've been sharing the printer before, XP is already set up for sharing.
Norton's installed? McAfee? Any software firewall?

koze

Re: XP Printer sharing!?
try here: http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010094.asp
Ko

"Kiwifrog" <Kiwifrog@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> We have a simple home network of laptops and desktops running XP. The
> Canon
> iP3000 is connected to the upstairs desktop.
> I am installing Vista on the downstairs desktop, Vista tries using the
> printer host driver without succes and ask for a Vista driver!?
> Vista does have a driver for that printer, it installs it when moving the
> printer downstairs, but does not install it when it finds the same printer
> on
> the network!?
> Canon does not help much telling that this configuration is not
> supported!?
> Where can I find the Vista driver for this iP3000?
> DVD, Web?
> Thanks for helping!

=?Utf-8?B?S2l3aWZyb2c=?=

Re: XP Printer sharing!?
Thanks guys,

I have eventualy found a way to share the printer on XP using various tips
from posts:

- Connect, install and share printer on XP
- Connect and install printer on Vista
- In Printers rightclick on printer icon, go to Properties, Ports, Add port
"\\XPComputerName\XPPrinterName"
- In Printers, rightclick on background, Add Printer, select
"\\XPComputerName\XPPrinterName" in Use an existing port, select appropriate
driver in list and bingo, at least it worked for me...

Thanks to Micro$oft and Canon to make our life that easy?!

To be continued, I had rather the printer on Vista....

"koze" wrote:

> try here: http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010094.asp
> Ko
>
> "Kiwifrog" <Kiwifrog@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> > We have a simple home network of laptops and desktops running XP. The
> > Canon
> > iP3000 is connected to the upstairs desktop.
> > I am installing Vista on the downstairs desktop, Vista tries using the
> > printer host driver without succes and ask for a Vista driver!?
> > Vista does have a driver for that printer, it installs it when moving the
> > printer downstairs, but does not install it when it finds the same printer
> > on
> > the network!?
> > Canon does not help much telling that this configuration is not
> > supported!?
> > Where can I find the Vista driver for this iP3000?
> > DVD, Web?
> > Thanks for helping!

=?Utf-8?B?UmljIFN0ZXJsaW5n?=

Re: XP Printer sharing!?
Kiwifrog; I trully hope you can help me. I am having the same problem. I
have two computers (desktop) running XP. Now I bought a Toshiba laptop with
the new Vista install. I can not make the dog gone thing work over my
network to share the Lexmark X8300 Printer or files. I have tried every
thing....I have turned off firwalls, made sure the Workgroup, are the same
etc...Nothing... Help please god help

"Kiwifrog" wrote:

> Thanks guys,
>
> I have eventualy found a way to share the printer on XP using various tips
> from posts:
>
> - Connect, install and share printer on XP
> - Connect and install printer on Vista
> - In Printers rightclick on printer icon, go to Properties, Ports, Add port
> "\\XPComputerName\XPPrinterName"
> - In Printers, rightclick on background, Add Printer, select
> "\\XPComputerName\XPPrinterName" in Use an existing port, select appropriate
> driver in list and bingo, at least it worked for me...
>
> Thanks to Micro$oft and Canon to make our life that easy?!
>
> To be continued, I had rather the printer on Vista....
>

> "koze" wrote:
>
> > try here: http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010094.asp
> > Ko
> >
> > "Kiwifrog" <Kiwifrog@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> > > We have a simple home network of laptops and desktops running XP. The
> > > Canon
> > > iP3000 is connected to the upstairs desktop.
> > > I am installing Vista on the downstairs desktop, Vista tries using the
> > > printer host driver without succes and ask for a Vista driver!?
> > > Vista does have a driver for that printer, it installs it when moving the
> > > printer downstairs, but does not install it when it finds the same printer
> > > on
> > > the network!?
> > > Canon does not help much telling that this configuration is not
> > > supported!?
> > > Where can I find the Vista driver for this iP3000?
> > > DVD, Web?
> > > Thanks for helping!

=?Utf-8?B?S2l3aWZyb2c=?=

Re: XP Printer sharing!?
Hi Ric,

Welcome to Vista Rant Space.
I am just a newbie on this forum and Vista but I will try to help, may be
some expert will join in...

A few questions:

Do you see all your computers in Network tab of Windows Explorer? If not try
Connect to Network in Control Pannel, Network and Sharing Center, make sure
that File and Printers Sharing are ticked on.

In Control Panel Printers, do you see your printer as a Network printer?

Happy Easter...