Network Vista with Windows98

=?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

Network Vista with Windows98
I have a Windows98 desktop and a new laptop with Vista running. Both PCs are
connected through a router(desktop is cable connected and laptop is
wireless). Is there a way for me to see the Windows98 PC on the Vista PC so
that I can transfer files?

Thnk you.
Steve Winograd [MVP]

Re: Network Vista with Windows98
In article <104A44BE-27D5-4D48-AD22-A866091DCFF2@microsoft.com>, Tom
<Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I have a Windows98 desktop and a new laptop with Vista running. Both PCs are
>connected through a router(desktop is cable connected and laptop is
>wireless). Is there a way for me to see the Windows98 PC on the Vista PC so
>that I can transfer files?
>
>Thnk you.

Yes, Vista should be able to see the Windows98 PC. An easy way to do
that is to click Start > Run (or press the Windows key and R at the
same time) and type the Windows98's computer name in the box in this
format:

\\computer

That will open a window showing Windows98's shared folders.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
=?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

Re: Network Vista with Windows98
Thanks. I can now see the 98PC from my Vista but I need a username to access
it. I don't remember assigning a username on the 98 pc (just a password).
Does anyone know where I can find the username?

"Steve Winograd [MVP]" wrote:

> In article <104A44BE-27D5-4D48-AD22-A866091DCFF2@microsoft.com>, Tom
> <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >I have a Windows98 desktop and a new laptop with Vista running. Both PCs are
> >connected through a router(desktop is cable connected and laptop is
> >wireless). Is there a way for me to see the Windows98 PC on the Vista PC so
> >that I can transfer files?
> >
> >Thnk you.

> Yes, Vista should be able to see the Windows98 PC. An easy way to do
> that is to click Start > Run (or press the Windows key and R at the
> same time) and type the Windows98's computer name in the box in this
> format:
>
> \\computer
>
> That will open a window showing Windows98's shared folders.
> --
> Best Wishes,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Network Vista with Windows98
By default, Vista will try to authenticate with NTLMv2, which was introduced
in NT4 SP4 (i.e. after Windows 98). You'll need to enable lower security
settings on Vista to communicate with Win98, or add NTLMv2 to Win98.

To add NTLMv2 to Win98, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/239869. (Since
the files for NTLMv2 are not removed by uninstalling the ADCE, you should be
able to uninstall once you have everything working, if you wish.)

To permit NTLM from Vista, open regedit.exe, go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa\LMCompatibilityLevel
and change the value from 0x3 to 0x1.