Vista SBS without ISA 2004

=?Utf-8?B?R29vYmVyVGVr?=

Vista SBS without ISA 2004
I didn't want to install ISA on my SBS server so I was looking for away to
get a Vista client joined to the SBS domain without it.

I went in to systems manager in the control panel changed it from the work
group to the domain and then manually added the SBS DNS to the TCP/IP
settings. It works great. So does Outlook 2007!

It doesn't appear that you need ISA to make this happen yet the help threads
online say you need to do it. So why this discrepency? What problem may I
have in the future by doing it this way?
Kerry Brown

Re: Vista SBS without ISA 2004
"GooberTek" <GooberTek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I didn't want to install ISA on my SBS server so I was looking for away to
> get a Vista client joined to the SBS domain without it.
>
> I went in to systems manager in the control panel changed it from the work
> group to the domain and then manually added the SBS DNS to the TCP/IP
> settings. It works great. So does Outlook 2007!
>
> It doesn't appear that you need ISA to make this happen yet the help
> threads
> online say you need to do it. So why this discrepency? What problem may
> have in the future by doing it this way?

You should install the updates for Vista clients on the SBS server. Manually
joining a Vista computer to an SBS domain may put the computer in the wrong
OU. Group policy may not work properly. Applications may not get pushed out.
Folder redirection may not work. You will get basic domain functionality but
the SBS extras may not work.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-e0c8c169fac3

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?R29vYmVyVGVr?=

Re: Vista SBS without ISA 2004
Thanks!

on the link you attached I had followed it with the exception of number 4 -
the ISA stuff. I just don't have the time to learn another server package of
this size. Do you think I will have the same problems?

ROB

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "GooberTek" <GooberTek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I didn't want to install ISA on my SBS server so I was looking for away to
> > get a Vista client joined to the SBS domain without it.
> >
> > I went in to systems manager in the control panel changed it from the work
> > group to the domain and then manually added the SBS DNS to the TCP/IP
> > settings. It works great. So does Outlook 2007!
> >
> > It doesn't appear that you need ISA to make this happen yet the help
> > threads
> > online say you need to do it. So why this discrepency? What problem may
> > have in the future by doing it this way?

> You should install the updates for Vista clients on the SBS server. Manually
> joining a Vista computer to an SBS domain may put the computer in the wrong
> OU. Group policy may not work properly. Applications may not get pushed out.
> Folder redirection may not work. You will get basic domain functionality but
> the SBS extras may not work.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...4-e0c8c169fac3
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Kerry Brown

Re: Vista SBS without ISA 2004
As long as you did all this before you joined the Vista computer to the
domain you shouldn't have any problems.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User