Problems with appending DNS suffix for name resolution

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tNDcxMQ==?=

Problems with appending DNS suffix for name resolution
Hello,

we have a strange problem with DNS name resolution in Vista.

For example, suggest our company's DNS-root is 'ourcompany.net'. If I try to
ping a host in a subdomain of 'ourcompany.net', for example in
'site2.ourcompany.net', Vista does not append the suffix as expected -
although I have configured it correctly under network configuration.

IPconfig shows the following:

H:\>ipconfig /all

Windows-IP-Konfiguration

Hostname . . . . . . . . . . . . : nbecovista02
Primäres DNS-Suffix . . . . . . . : site1.ourcompany.net
Knotentyp . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP-Routing aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein
WINS-Proxy aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein
DNS-Suffixsuchliste . . . . . . . : site1.ourcompany.net
ourcompany.net

If I ping the FQDN 'host1.site2.ourcompany.net', everything is fine. If I
ping only 'host1.site2', no IP-Adress is returned. But what the above shown
IP-Configuration is concerned, Vista should append 'ourcompany.net' by its
own.

If I ping a host, that is placed in the same domain 'site1.ourcompany.net'
as the Vista client, directly without any suffix it is successful.

It is improbable that we have a problem with DNS, because our XP-Clients
work perfectly with this IP-configuration.

I hope, anyone has an idea what's going on there.
Kerry Brown

Re: Problems with appending DNS suffix for name resolution
"Tom4711" <Tom4711@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> we have a strange problem with DNS name resolution in Vista.
>
> For example, suggest our company's DNS-root is 'ourcompany.net'. If I try
> ping a host in a subdomain of 'ourcompany.net', for example in
> 'site2.ourcompany.net', Vista does not append the suffix as expected -
> although I have configured it correctly under network configuration.
>
> IPconfig shows the following:
>
> H:\>ipconfig /all
>
> Windows-IP-Konfiguration
>
> Hostname . . . . . . . . . . . . : nbecovista02
> Primäres DNS-Suffix . . . . . . . : site1.ourcompany.net
> Knotentyp . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> IP-Routing aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein
> WINS-Proxy aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein
> DNS-Suffixsuchliste . . . . . . . : site1.ourcompany.net
> ourcompany.net
>
> If I ping the FQDN 'host1.site2.ourcompany.net', everything is fine. If I
> ping only 'host1.site2', no IP-Adress is returned. But what the above
> shown
> IP-Configuration is concerned, Vista should append 'ourcompany.net' by its
> own.
>
> If I ping a host, that is placed in the same domain 'site1.ourcompany.net'
> as the Vista client, directly without any suffix it is successful.
>
> It is improbable that we have a problem with DNS, because our XP-Clients
> work perfectly with this IP-configuration.
>
> I hope, anyone has an idea what's going on there.

Are you using a beta version of Vista? I had this problem with the beta
versions but it is fixed for me in the RTM version.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tNDcxMQ==?=

Re: Problems with appending DNS suffix for name resolution
Hi Kerry,

thanx for your reply.

Unfortunatly, I'm using the RTM releases of Vista Ultimate and Business.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Tom4711" <Tom4711@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > we have a strange problem with DNS name resolution in Vista.
> >
> > For example, suggest our company's DNS-root is 'ourcompany.net'. If I try
> > ping a host in a subdomain of 'ourcompany.net', for example in
> > 'site2.ourcompany.net', Vista does not append the suffix as expected -
> > although I have configured it correctly under network configuration.
> >
> > IPconfig shows the following:
> >
> > H:\>ipconfig /all
> >
> > Windows-IP-Konfiguration
> >
> > Hostname . . . . . . . . . . . . : nbecovista02
> > Primäres DNS-Suffix . . . . . . . : site1.ourcompany.net
> > Knotentyp . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> > IP-Routing aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein
> > WINS-Proxy aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein
> > DNS-Suffixsuchliste . . . . . . . : site1.ourcompany.net
> > ourcompany.net
> >
> > If I ping the FQDN 'host1.site2.ourcompany.net', everything is fine. If I
> > ping only 'host1.site2', no IP-Adress is returned. But what the above
> > shown
> > IP-Configuration is concerned, Vista should append 'ourcompany.net' by its
> > own.
> >
> > If I ping a host, that is placed in the same domain 'site1.ourcompany.net'
> > as the Vista client, directly without any suffix it is successful.
> >
> > It is improbable that we have a problem with DNS, because our XP-Clients
> > work perfectly with this IP-configuration.
> >
> > I hope, anyone has an idea what's going on there.

> Are you using a beta version of Vista? I had this problem with the beta
> versions but it is fixed for me in the RTM version.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Kerry Brown

Re: Problems with appending DNS suffix for name resolution
What results do you get for nslookup host1.site2 ?

Do you have WINS running throughout the network?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

> Hi Kerry,
>
> thanx for your reply.
>
> Unfortunatly, I'm using the RTM releases of Vista Ultimate and Business.
>

> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> "Tom4711" <Tom4711@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > we have a strange problem with DNS name resolution in Vista.
>> >
>> > For example, suggest our company's DNS-root is 'ourcompany.net'. If I
>> > try
>> > ping a host in a subdomain of 'ourcompany.net', for example in
>> > 'site2.ourcompany.net', Vista does not append the suffix as expected -
>> > although I have configured it correctly under network configuration.
>> >
>> > IPconfig shows the following:
>> >
>> > H:\>ipconfig /all
>> >
>> > Windows-IP-Konfiguration
>> >
>> > Hostname . . . . . . . . . . . . : nbecovista02
>> > Primäres DNS-Suffix . . . . . . . : site1.ourcompany.net
>> > Knotentyp . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
>> > IP-Routing aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein
>> > WINS-Proxy aktiviert . . . . . . : Nein
>> > DNS-Suffixsuchliste . . . . . . . : site1.ourcompany.net
>> > ourcompany.net
>> >
>> > If I ping the FQDN 'host1.site2.ourcompany.net', everything is fine. If
>> > ping only 'host1.site2', no IP-Adress is returned. But what the above
>> > shown
>> > IP-Configuration is concerned, Vista should append 'ourcompany.net' by
>> > its
>> > own.
>> >
>> > If I ping a host, that is placed in the same domain
>> > 'site1.ourcompany.net'
>> > as the Vista client, directly without any suffix it is successful.
>> >
>> > It is improbable that we have a problem with DNS, because our
>> > XP-Clients
>> > work perfectly with this IP-configuration.
>> >
>> > I hope, anyone has an idea what's going on there.

>> Are you using a beta version of Vista? I had this problem with the beta
>> versions but it is fixed for me in the RTM version.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tNDcxMQ==?=

Re: Problems with appending DNS suffix for name resolution
Curiously a nslookup for host1.site2 works! ;-O It was a good idea I have not
tested before.

But now the most interesting question is: why does a nslookup work and why a
ping or mstsc-connection does not???

Although we have WINS running, the WINS servers in our sites do not
replicate with our central site. So name resolution via WINS is not an option.

Have you anymore ideas?

> Curiously a nslookup for host1.site2 works! ;-O It was a good idea I have
> not
> tested before.
>
> But now the most interesting question is: why does a nslookup work and why
> ping or mstsc-connection does not???
>
> Although we have WINS running, the WINS servers in our sites do not
> replicate with our central site. So name resolution via WINS is not an
> option.
>
> Have you anymore ideas?

It is starting to sound like a NETBIOS problem but I'm not sure what. What
was the full results of nslookup?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tNDcxMQ==?=

Re: Problems with appending DNS suffix for name resolution
Hi,

the output looks like the following. As I have no English language pack
installed, the output is German. I hope you can guess what the output shows:

C:\Windows\system32>nslookup host1.site2
Server: dnsserver.site1.ourcompany.net
Address: 10.2.70.160:53

Nicht-autorisierende Antwort:
Name: host1.site2.ourcompany.net
Address: 10.73.32.51

A ping to the same adress looks like:

C:\Windows\system32>ping host1.site2
Ping-Anforderung konnte Host "host1.site2" nicht finden. Überprüfen Sie den
Namen, und versuchen Sie es erneut.

The German text means that the host could not be found and I should check
the name. I guess, you know that message... ;-)

By the way: I have disabled Netbios over TCP/IP.

I'm lookinbg forward to hear from you again.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "Tom4711" <Tom4711@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Curiously a nslookup for host1.site2 works! ;-O It was a good idea I have
> > not
> > tested before.
> >
> > But now the most interesting question is: why does a nslookup work and why
> > ping or mstsc-connection does not???
> >
> > Although we have WINS running, the WINS servers in our sites do not
> > replicate with our central site. So name resolution via WINS is not an
> > option.
> >
> > Have you anymore ideas?

> It is starting to sound like a NETBIOS problem but I'm not sure what. What
> was the full results of nslookup?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Kerry Brown

Re: Problems with appending DNS suffix for name resolution
What happens if you

ping -a 10.73.32.51

I think this problem is probably beyond my skills. You may want to try one
of the server networking newsgroups. There are some very knowledgeable
people there.
--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

> Hi,
>
> the output looks like the following. As I have no English language pack
> installed, the output is German. I hope you can guess what the output
> shows:
>
> C:\Windows\system32>nslookup host1.site2
> Server: dnsserver.site1.ourcompany.net
> Address: 10.2.70.160:53
>
> Nicht-autorisierende Antwort:
> Name: host1.site2.ourcompany.net
> Address: 10.73.32.51
>
> A ping to the same adress looks like:
>
> C:\Windows\system32>ping host1.site2
> Ping-Anforderung konnte Host "host1.site2" nicht finden. Überprüfen Sie
> den
> Namen, und versuchen Sie es erneut.
>
> The German text means that the host could not be found and I should check
> the name. I guess, you know that message... ;-)
>
> By the way: I have disabled Netbios over TCP/IP.
>
> I'm lookinbg forward to hear from you again.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> "Tom4711" <Tom4711@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Curiously a nslookup for host1.site2 works! ;-O It was a good idea I
>> > have
>> > not
>> > tested before.
>> >
>> > But now the most interesting question is: why does a nslookup work and
>> > why
>> > ping or mstsc-connection does not???
>> >
>> > Although we have WINS running, the WINS servers in our sites do not
>> > replicate with our central site. So name resolution via WINS is not an
>> > option.
>> >
>> > Have you anymore ideas?

>> It is starting to sound like a NETBIOS problem but I'm not sure what.
>> What
>> was the full results of nslookup?
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tNDcxMQ==?=

Re: Problems with appending DNS suffix for name resolution
Hi,

the ping command you suggested works fine: the FQDN of the host is returned.

I have posted this thread now in the Windows Servers DNS group now.

Anyhow many thanks for your efforts. ;-)

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> What happens if you
>
> ping -a 10.73.32.51
>
> I think this problem is probably beyond my skills. You may want to try one
> of the server networking newsgroups. There are some very knowledgeable
> people there.
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Tom4711" <Tom4711@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > the output looks like the following. As I have no English language pack
> > installed, the output is German. I hope you can guess what the output
> > shows:
> >
> > C:\Windows\system32>nslookup host1.site2
> > Server: dnsserver.site1.ourcompany.net
> > Address: 10.2.70.160:53
> >
> > Nicht-autorisierende Antwort:
> > Name: host1.site2.ourcompany.net
> > Address: 10.73.32.51
> >
> > A ping to the same adress looks like:
> >
> > C:\Windows\system32>ping host1.site2
> > Ping-Anforderung konnte Host "host1.site2" nicht finden. Überprüfen Sie
> > den
> > Namen, und versuchen Sie es erneut.
> >
> > The German text means that the host could not be found and I should check
> > the name. I guess, you know that message... ;-)
> >
> > By the way: I have disabled Netbios over TCP/IP.
> >
> > I'm lookinbg forward to hear from you again.
> >
> > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
> >
> >> "Tom4711" <Tom4711@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> It is starting to sound like a NETBIOS problem but I'm not sure what.
> >> What
> >> was the full results of nslookup?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Kerry Brown
> >> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> >> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Kerry Brown

SOLVED: Problems with appending DNS suffix for name resolution
I am updating this thread as Tom4711 found a solution on another newsgroup.
here is a copy of his post.

"Hi,

for all who are reading this threat: I found the solution under this threat:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...=en-us&m=1&p=1.

"

--
Kerry Brown