Network Access Passwords

=?Utf-8?B?S2F2YWw=?=

Network Access Passwords
I have been having a problem over the past few days with a workgroup network
I have setup at my workplace. There are only 4 computers on it but I am
having a problem accessing one of the computers. From the start this one
computer required a password to access the computers files. When this first
came up I didn't know what the password was because I have not setup a
password for any of the computers. A friend helped me out and we tried
everything and failed. Then we got a tip from another friend to try
"administrator" as the user name and "admin" as the password. Well that
worked. This worked fine for about 3 months and then all of a sudden it has
started rejecting that password and will not accept anything I try. All the
computers are using Windows XP. Why is this happening? And is there a way I
can remove the password completely so that it is not needed to access that
computer?
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Network Access Passwords
It is better to create the password. If security is not your concern, enable guest account.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Kaval" <Kaval@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BF3A899-5886-4FD6-BBBB-B225C7A27D47@microsoft.com...
[...]

H, thanks for the reply. I dont mind setting up passwords but how do I do
that? My big problem right now with this is that there is one computer on the
network that no one can access because the password it used to have no longer
exists. I should also mention that the computer asks for the password whether
the guest account is on or off. The big problem is that the password hasn't
been changed by anyone using the computers(because none of us here really
know how to do that) and now the old password doesn't work. Also there were
never any passwords ever setup on any of the computers so none of us are even
aware of how a password ever got installed. So in that regard, how can I go
and remove the password or at least change it? Thanks in advance for any help

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> It is better to create the password. If security is not your concern, enable guest account.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Kaval" <Kaval@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0BF3A899-5886-4FD6-BBBB-B225C7A27D47@microsoft.com...
> I have been having a problem over the past few days with a workgroup network
> I have setup at my workplace. There are only 4 computers on it but I am
> having a problem accessing one of the computers. From the start this one
> computer required a password to access the computers files. When this first
> came up I didn't know what the password was because I have not setup a
> password for any of the computers. A friend helped me out and we tried
> everything and failed. Then we got a tip from another friend to try
> "administrator" as the user name and "admin" as the password. Well that
> worked. This worked fine for about 3 months and then all of a sudden it has
> started rejecting that password and will not accept anything I try. All the
> computers are using Windows XP. Why is this happening? And is there a way I
> can remove the password completely so that it is not needed to access that
> computer?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Network Access Passwords
Win98 password is saved in the windows folder. If I remember correctly, its extension is wpl.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE