Problems Accessing Vista Shared Folders from Win98 Using NTLMv2

Steve Winograd [MVP]

Problems Accessing Vista Shared Folders from Win98 Using NTLMv2
I've found two ways to try to let Win98 access Vista's shared folders
over a network, and neither of them is working:

The first is to enable LM and NTLM authentication on Vista by running
secpol.msc. That method hasn't worked for me, so I've disabled LM and
NTLM on Vista and set it back to NTLMv2 only.

I'm trying a second method, described in Microsoft KB article 288358,
to download, install, and un-install the Directory Services Client on
Win98SE. That part went successfully.

Now, when I access Vista Ultimate from 98SE, a window opens showing
Vista's shared folders. That means that 98SE is successfully
connecting to Vista using NTLMv2 authentication. However, I'm having
trouble browsing the Vista shared folders that are visible:

1. Some folders don't show all of the files that are in them.

2. Some folder names are truncated. For example, a folder named
Download appears as just D.

3. Access to individual files hangs, or it fails with a message saying
"The specified network resource or device is no longer available."

Does anyone know what the problem is? Is it possible to access
Vista's shared folders, and the files they contain, from 98SE using
NTLMv2 authentication?
--
Thanks,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Rusty H

Re: Problems Accessing Vista Shared Folders from Win98 Using NTLMv2
Steve, just a follow-up..... you helped me with the Win98 DSClient install a
month or so ago.

I bought a new laptop two weeks ago with VISTA Home Premium and today
decided to try Win98 sharing with this laptop. To my surprise, it worked
perfectly with none of the "partial directory" or "truncated file names"
that we saw with VISTA Ultimate. I don't no why other than Ultimate has
many group policy settings that are not in the Home version.

In article <OlwimrfXHHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>, "Rusty H"
<blstthgREMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I've found two ways to try to let Win98 access Vista's shared folders
>> over a network, and neither of them is working:
>>
>> The first is to enable LM and NTLM authentication on Vista by running
>> secpol.msc. That method hasn't worked for me, so I've disabled LM and
>> NTLM on Vista and set it back to NTLMv2 only.
>>
>> I'm trying a second method, described in Microsoft KB article 288358,
>> to download, install, and un-install the Directory Services Client on
>> Win98SE. That part went successfully.
>>
>> Now, when I access Vista Ultimate from 98SE, a window opens showing
>> Vista's shared folders. That means that 98SE is successfully
>> connecting to Vista using NTLMv2 authentication. However, I'm having
>> trouble browsing the Vista shared folders that are visible:
>>
>> 1. Some folders don't show all of the files that are in them.
>>
>> 2. Some folder names are truncated. For example, a folder named
>> Download appears as just D.
>>
>> 3. Access to individual files hangs, or it fails with a message saying
>> "The specified network resource or device is no longer available."
>>
>> Does anyone know what the problem is? Is it possible to access
>> Vista's shared folders, and the files they contain, from 98SE using
>> NTLMv2 authentication?

>Steve, just a follow-up..... you helped me with the Win98 DSClient install a
>month or so ago.
>
>I bought a new laptop two weeks ago with VISTA Home Premium and today
>decided to try Win98 sharing with this laptop. To my surprise, it worked
>perfectly with none of the "partial directory" or "truncated file names"
>that we saw with VISTA Ultimate. I don't no why other than Ultimate has
>many group policy settings that are not in the Home version.

Thanks for the followup, Rusty. I just found your message.

Is everything still working between Vista and Win98? I haven't been
able to make it work consistently. I get the "partial directory" and
"truncated file names" problems with Ultimate, and Win98 often hangs
when trying to access Ultimate's shared folders. The problem seems to
get worse as I go down through more levels of the folder tree.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
cotemart@gmail.com

Re: Problems Accessing Vista Shared Folders from Win98 Using NTLMv2

HI there, just received a Vista desktop yesterday and I am having the
exact same problem than yours (partial folders names, hidden files and
specially the "hang-up" of Windows explorer) I tried with two laptops
(Celeron 400) over the same D-Link router. Tried different settings on
Vista, even desabling the Firewall but nothing works.

I can't go on reverse (From Vista to 98SE) since I never managed to
make a Win98SE computer visible on my network.

Did you find any solutions yet?