remote desktop connection host ability lost in "upgrade" from xp M

=?Utf-8?B?SmltMTAzMTQ0?=

remote desktop connection host ability lost in "upgrade" from xp M
very upset to find that in my new vista Home Premium, upgraded from xp home
media, that under home premium my computer has lost the ability to act as
Host in Remote Desktop Connection; in xp Media edition (I think that's the
name of the version that was on the host computer). Now I can no longer
connect from my home (running ulitimate) to the host computer at my office,
which is now running Home Premium. I always use Remote Desktop. Every night,
it's a centerpiece of how I function. What is the workaround?
Recommendations? I'm dismayed, and even feel cheated, since the xp Media
edition functioned as host just fine, and I certainly assumed that the Home
Premium, sold as an Upgrade to my xp Media edition would certainly have this
essential feature.
=?Utf-8?B?SmltMTAzMTQ0?=

RE: remote desktop connection host ability lost in "upgrade" from xp M

sorry, not a reply, but a clarification : the host computer was running
Media Center Edition windows..... still, it could host just fine. Now, after
following the "upgrade" to home premium vista, I find that it will no longer
be able to serve me as host. I don't know what vpn is, or whether it will
work the same as RD did, which I'd used for years, and worked fine. Is there
a compatible third party software to be able for that computer to function as
Host? (I shouldn't have to do this, since it was an Upgrade, supposedly, from
my Media Center Edition .... still, it doesn't sound like microsoft will
offer a little mini program bit of software, as it did to help my former xp
professional to connect to win98.... tiny piece of software as a download
from micorsoft did the trick just fine.... But since home premium was sold
as an "upgrade" to me, they should help me restore this function I think....
So, again, what is the workaround, and is there 3rd party software that might
work? I see this isn't a reply, really. Didn't know how to just modify my
original post. Thanks in advance.
"Jim103144" wrote:

> very upset to find that in my new vista Home Premium, upgraded from xp home
> media, that under home premium my computer has lost the ability to act as
> Host in Remote Desktop Connection; in xp Media edition (I think that's the
> name of the version that was on the host computer). Now I can no longer
> connect from my home (running ulitimate) to the host computer at my office,
> which is now running Home Premium. I always use Remote Desktop. Every night,
> it's a centerpiece of how I function. What is the workaround?
> Recommendations? I'm dismayed, and even feel cheated, since the xp Media
> edition functioned as host just fine, and I certainly assumed that the Home
> Premium, sold as an Upgrade to my xp Media edition would certainly have this
> essential feature.

=?Utf-8?B?dG9yZ3JvdA==?=

RE: remote desktop connection host ability lost in "upgrade" from
Google a program called VNC. It will give you the same functionality.

"Jim103144" wrote:

> sorry, not a reply, but a clarification : the host computer was running
> Media Center Edition windows..... still, it could host just fine. Now, after
> following the "upgrade" to home premium vista, I find that it will no longer
> be able to serve me as host. I don't know what vpn is, or whether it will
> work the same as RD did, which I'd used for years, and worked fine. Is there
> a compatible third party software to be able for that computer to function as
> Host? (I shouldn't have to do this, since it was an Upgrade, supposedly, from
> my Media Center Edition .... still, it doesn't sound like microsoft will
> offer a little mini program bit of software, as it did to help my former xp
> professional to connect to win98.... tiny piece of software as a download
> from micorsoft did the trick just fine.... But since home premium was sold
> as an "upgrade" to me, they should help me restore this function I think....
> So, again, what is the workaround, and is there 3rd party software that might
> work? I see this isn't a reply, really. Didn't know how to just modify my
> original post. Thanks in advance.
> "Jim103144" wrote:
>
> > very upset to find that in my new vista Home Premium, upgraded from xp home
> > media, that under home premium my computer has lost the ability to act as
> > Host in Remote Desktop Connection; in xp Media edition (I think that's the
> > name of the version that was on the host computer). Now I can no longer
> > connect from my home (running ulitimate) to the host computer at my office,
> > which is now running Home Premium. I always use Remote Desktop. Every night,
> > it's a centerpiece of how I function. What is the workaround?
> > Recommendations? I'm dismayed, and even feel cheated, since the xp Media
> > edition functioned as host just fine, and I certainly assumed that the Home
> > Premium, sold as an Upgrade to my xp Media edition would certainly have this
> > essential feature.

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: remote desktop connection host ability lost in "upgrade" from xp M
Unfortunately, the ability to host Remote Desktop is limited to Ultimate and
Enterprise. (Possibly Business as well, I don't remember off the top of my
head.)