Problem accessing Vista Ultimate from XP after upgrade

Dunc

Problem accessing Vista Ultimate from XP after upgrade
I was running Vista Home Priemum and allo was working well. I could move
files back and forthe between the XP and WME machine and the Vista one. I
could access and attach documents to MSN Emails as well.

I upgraded to Ultimate as I wanted some of the extra features.

Now I find that I am having access problems.

I can access the XP and WME machines from teh Ultimate machine but not the
other way around. They can see the Vista but not access the information

I have set the all of the Network Discovery settings to to on (except the
media choice)
I have set the root of my C and E drives to share. I have set the share
permissions for the Everyone account to everything.

All computers are in the same workgroup

I am not sure just what settings I need to have in the Windows Firewall with
Advanced Security screen.
Perhaps that is my problem.

Any suggestions/help?

This may not be related but now I am unable to attach documents to MSN
Emails too.

Thanks
Dunc

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Problem accessing Vista Ultimate from XP after upgrade
Can you ping the Vista by IP? If not, turn off the firewall for the test.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Dunc" <Dunc_F@MSN.Com> wrote in message news:77BF865F-5EF1-4A5C-98B2-12AF824DC74B@microsoft.com...
[...]

I hate to admit this Bob, but I don't know how to Ping it.

But I can see the Vista, see all of it's drives but not open any of them,

I get the you may not be authorized message.

Dunc
"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eDhW9ouVHHA.5092@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
[...]

Ok, I figured out how to ping it.

Yes I can ping the Vista from a XP machine

[...]

Sorry, I didn't read carefully that you can see Vista. In most cases, creating the same username in both computers may fix the problem. If not, check this link,

Step by step troubleshooting VISTA sharing
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=273

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Dunc" <Dunc_F@MSN.Com> wrote in message news:EE14BB32-D7F6-462E-A7A7-10AAE4A22161@microsoft.com...
[...]

Thanks Bob,

I do not want to have the computers to have to be accessed via a password.
I would like access limited to the workgroup though.

I still think my issues relate to the settings of the "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" screen. that is in Ultimate.

Do you have suggestions for settings there? As I said before.... after working with this group before, I had everything working well with Home Priemum.
I tried to repeat the steps I took to enable access on it with this Ultimate machine and am in the situation I am now.

Is there something else I need to do?

Is this something I can call Microsoft support on for that "free" 90 day support?

Using the Public Folders is not a solution for me.

Thanks again

Dunc
"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" <noreply@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eAROmT1VHHA.996@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
[...]

Bob,

If it makes a difference, I am trying to access all the computors using the same account name and it is also has administrator privileges for the machines.
[...]

chinga69

Re: Problem accessing Vista Ultimate from XP after upgrade

you need to turn of password protected sharing in the network and
sharing centre

--
chinga69

CHEERS CHINGA69
Dunc

Re: Problem accessing Vista Ultimate from XP after upgrade
I had that set to off. No Difference.

still think I need help with the Ultimate Windows "Firewall with Advanced
Security" screen settings. They seem different than the Home Premium ones
"chinga69" <chinga69.2mh3pd@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> you need to turn of password protected sharing in the network and
> sharing centre
>

> --
> chinga69
>
> CHEERS CHINGA69

chinga69

Re: Problem accessing Vista Ultimate from XP after upgrade

ok disable the firewall and see if you can then access the vista machine

if you still cant then double check the vista settings in networking
and also on the xp machine when you open the my network places in xp
click on view puters so it refreshes the puters you can currently see

--
chinga69

CHEERS CHINGA69