How do I network Vista with 98SE?

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlbGw=?=

How do I network Vista with 98SE?
When trying to map a 98se machine, Visat wants me to input a user name and PW
to connect to a 98SE machine. 98SE doesn't require a user name, and, if I
give Vista the logon user name for 98se, Vista adds the
\\Vista_name\usernamegiven.

I saw Roberts suggestion to make the names the same, but that seems to mean
redoing one of the computers over again - and at that, it might not work
either. I also saw Lynn enabled netbios over tcp/ip but mine is greyed out.

Doesn't Vista have a simple way of connecting the network like 98SE and XP
have?

Once I get this solved, it may solve the problem of other comps not seeing
the Vista shared printer - first though, I have to get the network working.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: How do I network Vista with 98SE?
Try this command: net view \win98name. If it is system error 5, it could be permission issue; if it is 53, it could be firewall or netbios issue. It is better create the same username no both computers.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Shell" <Shell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5B8C9908-5302-4C81-89AB-2A5751B1B7E0@microsoft.com...
When trying to map a 98se machine, Visat wants me to input a user name and PW
to connect to a 98SE machine. 98SE doesn't require a user name, and, if I
give Vista the logon user name for 98se, Vista adds the
\\Vista_name\usernamegiven.

I saw Roberts suggestion to make the names the same, but that seems to mean
redoing one of the computers over again - and at that, it might not work
either. I also saw Lynn enabled netbios over tcp/ip but mine is greyed out.

Doesn't Vista have a simple way of connecting the network like 98SE and XP
have?

Once I get this solved, it may solve the problem of other comps not seeing
the Vista shared printer - first though, I have to get the network working.

=?Utf-8?B?U2hlbGw=?=

Re: How do I network Vista with 98SE?
Thanks Robter for the ideas. I think you meant \\, not one \. Two worked and
I got no errors at all. In fact, I got a display of the drives on the 98SE.
Note that 98SE doesn't want a username - just a password - at least the XP
connects without a username. When Vista tried to connect, it wants to send a
password AND a username and no matetr what username I put in, it won't let me
connect.

To redo Vista all over again with a new username is not making me any more
happy to have Vista. Since there are no errors reported - any ideas other
than starting over with a new Username?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Try this command: net view \win98name. If it is system error 5, it could be permission issue; if it is 53, it could be firewall or netbios issue. It is better create the same username no both computers.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Shell" <Shell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5B8C9908-5302-4C81-89AB-2A5751B1B7E0@microsoft.com...
> When trying to map a 98se machine, Visat wants me to input a user name and PW
> to connect to a 98SE machine. 98SE doesn't require a user name, and, if I
> give Vista the logon user name for 98se, Vista adds the
> \\Vista_name\usernamegiven.
>
> I saw Roberts suggestion to make the names the same, but that seems to mean
> redoing one of the computers over again - and at that, it might not work
> either. I also saw Lynn enabled netbios over tcp/ip but mine is greyed out.
>
> Doesn't Vista have a simple way of connecting the network like 98SE and XP
> have?
>
> Once I get this solved, it may solve the problem of other comps not seeing
> the Vista shared printer - first though, I have to get the network working

=?Utf-8?B?VG9t?=

Re: How do I network Vista with 98SE?
I ran into this same problem and I found a way to see the 98 folders from
Vista:
1. Run winipcfg to get host name of 98 pc
2. My host name has 3 nodes
3. Use xxx\yyy as the userid where xxx is the first node of my 98 pc host
name and yyy is the name I setup when I setup the 98 shared folder.
3. Use password that was used when I setup the 98 folder.
Some message popped about not recognizing the password but I was able to
connect and see the 98 folders.

I am copying data over now.

Go Figure???