Vista and and connectivity problems (DHCP troubles)

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBXb29k?=

Vista and and connectivity problems (DHCP troubles)
I have two significant problems with Vista. First, there are some access
points that it just flat will not determine, no matter WHAT you do (it
appears that it may be related to when you use a different Gateway subnet).

The second one is that the alternate IP configuration is just not working at
all.

There are incompatabilities with Vista and some of the built-in DHCP servers
in routers. As a result, kiss off automatic assignment of network settings
for these routers (wireless or otherwise).

You will have to MANUALLY set your IP info, just like in the old days.
Unfortunately, that also means that you will have to CAN those adapter IP
setting when using true DHCP enabled routers that actually work. When you
run into this, I've found that the alternate IP info does not work at all, it
never gets referenced or determined.

Here is one solution that may work for SOME routers (but it does NOT work
for all of them!)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

The reality is that as long as you can connect to the router (i.e. local
only connection) then the manual assignment of the IP info should get you
there. And forget about wasting your time trying to use the Alternate
configuration, it doesn't work.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista and and connectivity problems (DHCP troubles)
Thank you for the link.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE