Computer cannot join domain

=?Utf-8?B?UEFU?=

Computer cannot join domain
I'm trying to connect my new Ultimate Vista system to a Server 2003 with SP2
on it but it fails and I get this error. I know the server works since I can
join XP pros and 2000 systems. Here is the error I get. Can someone please
tell me what changed that made things less user friendly in Vista than it was
in XP????

" Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the following
error occured:
An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DV in the domain being joined has
failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that
can resolve DNS names in the target domain."

The client is automatically assigned 3 dns ip from the DHCP. The 3rd one
being the one to resolve the local domain. I have ping from the client and I
get no problems.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Computer cannot join domain
Any errors if using nslookup command? Also posting the result of ipconfig on the Vista may help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"PAT" <PAT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1D3379C-8F0D-443C-BAD4-9DB18C14D251@microsoft.com...
[...]

I found the problem. Since my domain is not a live internet domain, I had to
change my primary DNS server on the DHCP to be the server I was trying to log
in first place after the backup DNS servers.

Thanks, I was able to try this after reading a few fixes for similar problems.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Any errors if using nslookup command? Also posting the result of ipconfig on the Vista may help.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "PAT" <PAT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1D3379C-8F0D-443C-BAD4-9DB18C14D251@microsoft.com...
> I'm trying to connect my new Ultimate Vista system to a Server 2003 with SP2
> on it but it fails and I get this error. I know the server works since I can
> join XP pros and 2000 systems. Here is the error I get. Can someone please
> tell me what changed that made things less user friendly in Vista than it was
> in XP????
>
> " Your computer could not be joined to the domain because the following
> error occured:
> An attempt to resolve the DNS name of a DV in the domain being joined has
> failed. Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that
> can resolve DNS names in the target domain."
>
> The client is automatically assigned 3 dns ip from the DHCP. The 3rd one
> being the one to resolve the local domain. I have ping from the client and I
> get no problems

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Computer cannot join domain
Thank you for the update