Unable to Edit Network Files

=?Utf-8?B?R29taQ==?=

Unable to Edit Network Files
Trying to edit to a networked pc and Vista tells me that I can't write to it
because the folders are Read-Only. My XP laptop is able to edit them without
issue. I'm logged in as administrator to the remote machine. Is there a
setting in Vista I ned to change?
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Unable to Edit Network Files
Does the XP laptop uses the same administrator and password of the Vista? Use the icacls command to check the permission. This link may help,

How to: check Vista permissions
http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=376

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Gomi" <Gomi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6310D7B7-0855-4F52-A434-AD94FDA63EF7@microsoft.com...
Trying to edit to a networked pc and Vista tells me that I can't write to it
because the folders are Read-Only. My XP laptop is able to edit them without
issue. I'm logged in as administrator to the remote machine. Is there a
setting in Vista I ned to change?
=?Utf-8?B?R29taQ==?=

Re: Unable to Edit Network Files
Network Admin finally looked at it and solved the problem. XP didn't seem to
care about the folder being marked read only. So the Vista security was
working correctly.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Does the XP laptop uses the same administrator and password of the Vista? Use the icacls command to check the permission. This link may help,
>
> How to: check Vista permissions
> http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=376
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Gomi" <Gomi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6310D7B7-0855-4F52-A434-AD94FDA63EF7@microsoft.com...
> Trying to edit to a networked pc and Vista tells me that I can't write to it
> because the folders are Read-Only. My XP laptop is able to edit them without
> issue. I'm logged in as administrator to the remote machine. Is there a
> setting in Vista I ned to change?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Unable to Edit Network Files
Thank you for the update.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Gomi" <Gomi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D722B49-CD3B-40AC-9286-042190EA650A@microsoft.com...
Network Admin finally looked at it and solved the problem. XP didn't seem to
care about the folder being marked read only. So the Vista security was
working correctly.

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Does the XP laptop uses the same administrator and password of the Vista? Use the icacls command to check the permission. This link may help,
>
> How to: check Vista permissions
> http://chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=376
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Gomi" <Gomi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6310D7B7-0855-4F52-A434-AD94FDA63EF7@microsoft.com...
> Trying to edit to a networked pc and Vista tells me that I can't write to it
> because the folders are Read-Only. My XP laptop is able to edit them without
> issue. I'm logged in as administrator to the remote machine. Is there a
> setting in Vista I ned to change?

R3dD0g

Re: Unable to Edit Network Files
Robert;

I'm having the same problem as Gomi. I'm not able to get it resolved though
and our network admin is adamantly against Vista, so I'm on my own here. I
do have admin privileges on the network & anywhere I need it.

When I try to change the Read Only property of any networked folder it asks
if I want to include subfolders & files and it makes a big show of running
through the files and incrementing a progress bar. But, when it's all over
and I reopen the properties window, it's still Read Only.

Please help as this is a Vista show stopper.
R3dD0g

"R3dD0g" wrote:

> Robert;
>
> I'm having the same problem as Gomi. I'm not able to get it resolved though
> and our network admin is adamantly against Vista, so I'm on my own here. I
> do have admin privileges on the network & anywhere I need it.
>
> When I try to change the Read Only property of any networked folder it asks
> if I want to include subfolders & files and it makes a big show of running
> through the files and incrementing a progress bar. But, when it's all over
> and I reopen the properties window, it's still Read Only.
>
> Please help as this is a Vista show stopper.

Well, the absence of an answer has stopped the Vista show at our place. I'm
deleting it and reinstalling XP as soon as I hit 'Post'.

If Microsoft can't enable the simplest thing like connecting to a network
share and modifying a file there, then it is unready for the business world.

I hope everyone who had anything to do with putting this piece of crap out
will rot in hell.