Networking vista and XP x64

=?Utf-8?B?a2VubmV0aA==?=

Networking vista and XP x64
I have a laptop running vista, and a desktop on a dual boot between XP and XP
x64.

I have a home network via a wireless router. I'm trying to Network my vista
laptop to my desktop running XPx64, but i really can't get it to work.

I can do this on the XP boot by installing the LLTD patch, but there is no
such patch for XPx64. As such my computers can ping each other, but cannot
see each other on the network map. Is there a way around this?

thanks kenneth

PS why won't windows support LLTD on XPx64? The OS is only a few months old!
=?Utf-8?B?eGxjaGFybGll?=

RE: Networking vista and XP x64
I don't have the answer but I am having the same problem. I am running XP 64
Professional on a desktop and I just got an HP laptop with Vista Business
(not 64). I can see the laptop from my XP64 desktop, but I cannot access the
laptop (may be a firewall issue but I'm still investigating). I cannot see
the desktop at all from my laptop which is particularly problematic because I
would like to be able to use the printer connected to the desktop. When I
try to install the LLTD, I get a message telling me that it is not intended
for my OS. It is very frustrating to think that they have a fix for XP32 and
not XP64. Even with all the delays, they still couldn't get Vista to
function properly with at least the last generation OS? I presume it was a
cost/benefit decision (fewer overall XP64 users in the market). Improved
networking, ironically, is supposed to be a Vista selling point but from the
looks of this discussion board, they've failed miserably to make a smooth
transition from XP to Vista. Why is that not surprising?

I am resigned to waiting for Microsoft to release an equivalent LLTD
download for XP64, but who knows how far down the pecking order of bug fixes
that will come. If anyone has any insight on an existing fix or one soon to
come, please share. Your help is much appreciated.

"kenneth" wrote:

> I have a laptop running vista, and a desktop on a dual boot between XP and XP
> x64.
>
> I have a home network via a wireless router. I'm trying to Network my vista
> laptop to my desktop running XPx64, but i really can't get it to work.
>
> I can do this on the XP boot by installing the LLTD patch, but there is no
> such patch for XPx64. As such my computers can ping each other, but cannot
> see each other on the network map. Is there a way around this?
>
> thanks kenneth
>
> PS why won't windows support LLTD on XPx64? The OS is only a few months old!

koze

Re: Networking vista and XP x64
The LLTD is not a fix it's only to make the other PC visible in Vista if
it's not a Vista PC.

If you want to network and share files and printers you have to set that in
both OSes XP and Vista.
In the network center of Vista you have some options from top to bottom,
netwerkdetection must be ON, File and printersharing must be ON, password
protected file sharing must be OFF.

Fort the full set of options for Vista look here:

for other PC's this one:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/net..._fp.mspx#EZOAC

Ko.

"xlcharlie" <xlcharlie@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>I don't have the answer but I am having the same problem. I am running XP
>64
> Professional on a desktop and I just got an HP laptop with Vista Business
> (not 64). I can see the laptop from my XP64 desktop, but I cannot access
> the
> laptop (may be a firewall issue but I'm still investigating). I cannot
> see
> the desktop at all from my laptop which is particularly problematic
> because I
> would like to be able to use the printer connected to the desktop. When I
> try to install the LLTD, I get a message telling me that it is not
> intended
> for my OS. It is very frustrating to think that they have a fix for XP32
> and
> not XP64. Even with all the delays, they still couldn't get Vista to
> function properly with at least the last generation OS? I presume it was
> cost/benefit decision (fewer overall XP64 users in the market). Improved
> networking, ironically, is supposed to be a Vista selling point but from
> the
> looks of this discussion board, they've failed miserably to make a smooth
> transition from XP to Vista. Why is that not surprising?
>
> I am resigned to waiting for Microsoft to release an equivalent LLTD
> download for XP64, but who knows how far down the pecking order of bug
> fixes
> that will come. If anyone has any insight on an existing fix or one soon
> come, please share. Your help is much appreciated.
>
> "kenneth" wrote:
>
>> I have a laptop running vista, and a desktop on a dual boot between XP
>> and XP
>> x64.
>>
>> I have a home network via a wireless router. I'm trying to Network my
>> vista
>> laptop to my desktop running XPx64, but i really can't get it to work.
>>
>> I can do this on the XP boot by installing the LLTD patch, but there is
>> no
>> such patch for XPx64. As such my computers can ping each other, but
>> cannot
>> see each other on the network map. Is there a way around this?
>>
>> thanks kenneth
>>
>> PS why won't windows support LLTD on XPx64? The OS is only a few months
>> old!

Paulo Sampaio

No need to fret chaps..
All you need to do is to enable NetBios over TCP/IP on your network adapter. This can be found by right click you network connection under my network places, properties and then double click TCP/IP, click advanced, goto Win tabs, enable NetBios over TCP/IP. Presto, you will be able to communivate with your xp x64 pc. LLTD is only to enable you to view other windows operating systems on the network map.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com