Can You Move User Personal Folders to a Network Location

=?Utf-8?B?UmlkZXN5?=

Can You Move User Personal Folders to a Network Location
Hi,

We are running a SBE 2003 Exchange Server set-up with 20 PC's and a single
server and for all current XP Pro machines we have redirected the users "My
Doucments" folder to their user folder on the server in order that all files
are backed-up correctly.

With Vista we now have a user personal folder and a set of sub folders
within (Documents, Pictures....etc), but I can see no siomple way of moving
the entire user personal folder address to be on the server!?

Each subfolder can be moved in the same way as XP could, but for ease and
speed I want to simply move the users main personal folder address to be that
of the users folder on the server..... Can I do this and if so how?

Thanks

Ridesy
Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Can You Move User Personal Folders to a Network Location
No, you can't direct them all as a group that I know of. However, you can
direct them individually via group policy into subfolders of the same
location.

"Ridesy" <Ridesy@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Hi,
>
> We are running a SBE 2003 Exchange Server set-up with 20 PC's and a single
> server and for all current XP Pro machines we have redirected the users
> "My
> Doucments" folder to their user folder on the server in order that all
> files
> are backed-up correctly.
>
> With Vista we now have a user personal folder and a set of sub folders
> within (Documents, Pictures....etc), but I can see no siomple way of
> moving
> the entire user personal folder address to be on the server!?
>
> Each subfolder can be moved in the same way as XP could, but for ease and
> speed I want to simply move the users main personal folder address to be
> that
> of the users folder on the server..... Can I do this and if so how?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ridesy

=?Utf-8?B?UmlkZXN5?=

Re: Can You Move User Personal Folders to a Network Location
Michael,

Thanks, that is what I had discovered too and I suppose a group policy would
be the simplest way to achieve this, but it is a shame you can just move the
whole user folder address.

Ridesy

"Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)" wrote:

> No, you can't direct them all as a group that I know of. However, you can
> direct them individually via group policy into subfolders of the same
> location.
>
> "Ridesy" <Ridesy@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are running a SBE 2003 Exchange Server set-up with 20 PC's and a single
> > server and for all current XP Pro machines we have redirected the users
> > "My
> > Doucments" folder to their user folder on the server in order that all
> > files
> > are backed-up correctly.
> >
> > With Vista we now have a user personal folder and a set of sub folders
> > within (Documents, Pictures....etc), but I can see no siomple way of
> > moving
> > the entire user personal folder address to be on the server!?
> >
> > Each subfolder can be moved in the same way as XP could, but for ease and
> > speed I want to simply move the users main personal folder address to be
> > that
> > of the users folder on the server..... Can I do this and if so how?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Ridesy

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Can You Move User Personal Folders to a Network Location
Actually, if you keep the same policy deployed, the Music and Video folders
ought to redirect under Documents in order to maintain XP compatibility --
you have GPs for each of the various folders in Vista/Longhorn.