Saving to Network Drive

Ihar

Saving to Network Drive
Hi

I have Vista business, running Office 2007 Pro. I connect to a shared
network drive via a wireless connection. The drive is a Chronos Lan-Disk
drive, connected to the wireless router via standard utp cable.

From the network drive, I am able to open documents and work on them, but I
am unable to save back to the drive.

If I am saving a new file to the network drive, the file that I am trying to
save gets created as a 0kb file and then I get asked repeatedly to save the
file, I end up saving the file to local disk and then use windows explorer
to copy and paste the file to the drive.

If I have opened an existing document on the drive and then want to save it,
the file size gets reset to 0kb and I get an error message saying that the
file has not been saved and I once again save it to the local drive and then
copy and paste it to the server drive.

I am not sure if this is an Office problem, a Vista problem or a hardware
problem (firmware on the drive, I am using the latest firmware available
though.)

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Ihar

Malke

Re: Saving to Network Drive
Ihar wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have Vista business, running Office 2007 Pro. I connect to a shared
> network drive via a wireless connection. The drive is a Chronos
> Lan-Disk drive, connected to the wireless router via standard utp cable.
>
> From the network drive, I am able to open documents and work on them,
> but I am unable to save back to the drive.
>
> If I am saving a new file to the network drive, the file that I am
> trying to save gets created as a 0kb file and then I get asked
> repeatedly to save the file, I end up saving the file to local disk and
> then use windows explorer to copy and paste the file to the drive.
>
> If I have opened an existing document on the drive and then want to save
> it, the file size gets reset to 0kb and I get an error message saying
> that the file has not been saved and I once again save it to the local
> drive and then copy and paste it to the server drive.
>
> I am not sure if this is an Office problem, a Vista problem or a
> hardware problem (firmware on the drive, I am using the latest firmware
> available though.)

It sounds like the read/write permissions aren't correct on the Chronos
for the Vista user. If it is running a version of *nix (as so many NAS
are) then you might need to look at its configuration. I'd contact the
Chronos tech support people as the next step in troubleshooting.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Ihar

Re: Saving to Network Drive
Just ran a test, get the same problem when using a shared drive on an XP Pro
machine

So now I don't think it is the Chronos Drive share settings.

> Ihar wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have Vista business, running Office 2007 Pro. I connect to a shared
>> network drive via a wireless connection. The drive is a Chronos Lan-Disk
>> drive, connected to the wireless router via standard utp cable.
>>
>> From the network drive, I am able to open documents and work on them,
>> but I am unable to save back to the drive.
>>
>> If I am saving a new file to the network drive, the file that I am trying
>> to save gets created as a 0kb file and then I get asked repeatedly to
>> save the file, I end up saving the file to local disk and then use
>> windows explorer to copy and paste the file to the drive.
>>
>> If I have opened an existing document on the drive and then want to save
>> it, the file size gets reset to 0kb and I get an error message saying
>> that the file has not been saved and I once again save it to the local
>> drive and then copy and paste it to the server drive.
>>
>> I am not sure if this is an Office problem, a Vista problem or a hardware
>> problem (firmware on the drive, I am using the latest firmware available
>> though.)

> It sounds like the read/write permissions aren't correct on the Chronos
> for the Vista user. If it is running a version of *nix (as so many NAS
> are) then you might need to look at its configuration. I'd contact the
> Chronos tech support people as the next step in troubleshooting.
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Re: Saving to Network Drive
Ihar wrote:
> Just ran a test, get the same problem when using a shared drive on an XP
> Pro machine
>
> So now I don't think it is the Chronos Drive share settings.

Do you have any drive quotas set?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
=?Utf-8?B?VHJveSBMb2tpdHo=?=

Re: Saving to Network Drive
Another question: are you running on a wireless network? Is the machine that
you are having problems with wireless?

I am experiencing wierd wireless issues....

"Malke" wrote:

> Ihar wrote:
> > Just ran a test, get the same problem when using a shared drive on an XP
> > Pro machine
> >
> > So now I don't think it is the Chronos Drive share settings.

> Do you have any drive quotas set?
>

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Ihar

Re: Saving to Network Drive
Malke, no there are no drive quotas involved

Troy, yes it is a wireless network, I am linked via wireless to the router,
the drive in question is a LAN Drive and is hardwired to the router.

"Troy Lokitz" <TroyLokitz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Another question: are you running on a wireless network? Is the machine
> that
> you are having problems with wireless?
>
> I am experiencing wierd wireless issues....
>
> "Malke" wrote:
>
>> Ihar wrote:
>> > Just ran a test, get the same problem when using a shared drive on an
>> > XP
>> > Pro machine
>> >
>> > So now I don't think it is the Chronos Drive share settings.

>> Do you have any drive quotas set?
>>

>> Malke
>> --
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"
>> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Ihar

Re: Saving to Network Drive
oh, the XP Pro machine is also hardwired to the same router