Login to Domain is slow

=?Utf-8?B?VVRvbGVkbw==?=

Login to Domain is slow
We are running three PCs on Windows Vista Enterprise to test it before we
install it on the rest of the computers (about 200). The computers have been
added to the domain. Logging on to a computer locally as an admin takes
about 15 seconds from when you enter the password to when it is at the
desktop ready to go. Logging on to an XP machine that is in the domain takes
about 30 seconds. Logging on to one of the vista machines as a user in the
domain takes 10-20 minutes. Logging out and logging back in as the same user
does not cut down on the time to show the desktop
On login, the user's shared drive is mapped to the computer, as well as
all of the printers accessible to that computer. There are several group
policy settings that are applied to the computer. After login, the computer
hits on the hard drive for about 20 seconds before the screen goes black and
only the mouse pointer is visible. It sits like that for a minimum of ten
minutes before it finally loads the desktop. During this time the hard drive
is not accessed at all. I am not sure what is causing this.
I have disabled IPv6 and have tried logging in with the firewall turned
off. Any suggestions would be appreciated...
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Login to Domain is slow
I would check the DNS settings in the Vista. If that is not the issue, check the group policies.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"UToledo" <UToledo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40020BFA-BA1E-4AEC-9E06-A76DDF51D576@microsoft.com...
[...]
DC187

Re: Login to Domain is slow

Is it slow when using cached domain credentials? I ask because when I
logon to my domain it takes about 5 minutes to get to the desktop.
However if i remove the network cable and logon using cached domain
credentials it takes just a matter of seconds.
I don't have a solution to the problem but would be interesting to see
if the above is true for you too.

--
DC187
=?Utf-8?B?VVRvbGVkbw==?=

Re: Login to Domain is slow
The computers are set to obtain the dns server address automatically.

DC187, I am not sure what you mean when you say cached domain credentials.
I have tried logging on to the computer then logging out and back in again
without restarting the computer or deleting the user profile. It does not
decrease the time to show the desktop.

Group policies are probably the cause of the problem. I opened the event
viewer on the vista machine I use and found several instances of two error
messages. It looks like the events occur whenever a user logs into the
domain. The event IDs are 6005 and 6006. 6005 says "The winlogon
notification subscriber <GPClient> is taking long time to handle the
notification event (StartShell)." 6006 says "The winlogon notification
subscriber <GPClient> took 600 second(s) to handle the notification event
(StartShell)." I will have to dig a little deeper to find out what is
causing this. I will post my results.
=?Utf-8?B?VVRvbGVkbw==?=

RE: Login to Domain is slow
I have figured out what is causing the problem, now I just need to fix it.
When a user logs in to the domain, several printers are mapped to that
computer based on the active directory. I changed the computer to an active
directory where there are no printers and login time was consistent with the
xp machines. There must have been some changes in group policy concerning
printer deployment between xp and vista. So, now I need to know how to map a
printer to a vista machine based on the active directory. If anybody could
give me some info I would appreciate it.
Mano

RE: Login to Domain is slow
Do you use Windows 2003 with SP2? I had the same problems and solved by this
registry fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=936594

"UToledo" wrote:

> I have figured out what is causing the problem, now I just need to fix it.
> When a user logs in to the domain, several printers are mapped to that
> computer based on the active directory. I changed the computer to an active
> directory where there are no printers and login time was consistent with the
> xp machines. There must have been some changes in group policy concerning
> printer deployment between xp and vista. So, now I need to know how to map a
> printer to a vista machine based on the active directory. If anybody could
> give me some info I would appreciate it.

Robert L \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Login to Domain is slow
Thank you for the link.

--