Q: best setup for a simple Server 2003, XP & Vista network

Mental

Q: best setup for a simple Server 2003, XP & Vista network
Hi,

Not sure if this is the best group, but I would be grateful for any
advice on setting up a new home network. Currently I run various XP
machines (no domain), with 1 XP machine acting as the server (IIS, SQL,
file shares etc) but with no security accounts - i.e. everything is open.

Going forward, I'm moving most of the pc's to Vista Business, couple
staying as XP (machine supplied from work, not a domain based machine
though) and thought that I might set up the server machine to run Server
2003.

I don't want to run a domain, or use the server as a DCHP server etc,
just want to use it for IIS / SQL / file shares etc.

All machines sit on a LAN behind a broadband router.

So, my question is, what's the best way to configure user accounts and
security access etc?

1. Server 2003
- will have it's own main administrator account
- local account xxx/xxx that allows file share access

2. Vista Business machines
- have their own admin accounts
- will normally be used running under a normal / non-admin account
xxx/xxx (i.e. same as on server to provide file share access)

3. My Work XP machine
- has my own local admin account
- if I want to connect to either of the other machines, I will connect
as using one of the accounts on there

The server does not need to connect to the other machines, it's only the
Vista / XP machines that need to connect to the Server - i.e. 1 way.

So, is this the best way to achieve a simple shared network, with proper
accounts on the machines with username / password and Vista machines not
running under an "admin" (even with UAC) account?

Thanks,
M.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: best setup for a simple Server 2003, XP & Vista network
The way I would do is setup the same usernames in the server and workstations since this is workgroup network.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE