Odd Vista Behavior

=?Utf-8?B?ZXN0b2FkMg==?=

Odd Vista Behavior
Wireless Vista Ultimate desktop, with two shared external usb2 drives, F & G.
Wireless XP Pro SP2 laptop. The laptop can access, read/write modify all
files folders and subfolders on external Drive F. The laptop can see all
folders on external Drive G, but all folders appear empty, clicking on them
results in a permissions error. All permissions are exactly the same on both
drives. As an experiment, I shared one folder on Drive G, and voila!! it
appears on the laptop and is accessable thru the Drive G icon and its own
folder icon, however all other folders appear still empty. I did this with a
few folders on Drive G and those selected then appear on the laptop and are
accessable either thru the Drive G icon or folder icon. Unshared ones still
appear empty. Second part of experiment, I unshared the previously shared
folders, and after a few restarts of both computers, those folders are still
accessable from the laptop from the Drive G icon, but no longer thru the
folder icon, which should have disappeared and hasn't, yet. Just thought you
may be interested in this little anomoly.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Odd Vista Behavior
Can I assume the external drive used to be connecting to other computer and you just re-connect it the Vista? Check the permission using this command: icacls g:\

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"estoad2" <estoad2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A3E459A-258D-43BC-9798-5BCF7A5ED627@microsoft.com...
[...]

Both Externals were connected to another WinXP Pro machine and were shared
with the laptop, however they were never hooked direct to the laptop. Will
try the command when I return home tomorrow, thanks for the info.