?Vista unsecured wireles network vs secure wireless

=?Utf-8?B?RGlkaWVyIEdvZG90?=

?Vista unsecured wireles network vs secure wireless
Hi,

we ha ve a corporate wireless network made of 3com devices, on our acces
point we are brodcastinsg 2 ssid. One is open and the other one is secure
with wpa.

we never had any problem, our clients are using xp, 2000, mac name it...but
with windows vista we are able to acces the secure one but not the open
one....what a strange probleme? is vista blocking in any way public
network..alos i have to say when we do connect to those wireless network the
next step for users is to logon from a web page to access internet, this web
page is comming from our firewall (bordermamager) and there is not
certificate for this page...could this be the problem...i thought so but why
the secure network is working.

Thansk for you help
Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: ?Vista unsecured wireles network vs secure wireless
When you say that you aren't able to access it, can you be more specific?
Does Vista see the wireless network? If so, when you try to connect, does
it give an error message, or connect but is unable to access your logon
page?

"Didier Godot" <DidierGodot@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
message de news:5689600C-C954-4B04-A7B5-7D41E6987BD8@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> we ha ve a corporate wireless network made of 3com devices, on our acces
> point we are brodcastinsg 2 ssid. One is open and the other one is secure
> with wpa.
>
> we never had any problem, our clients are using xp, 2000, mac name
> it...but
> with windows vista we are able to acces the secure one but not the open
> one....what a strange probleme? is vista blocking in any way public
> network..alos i have to say when we do connect to those wireless network
> the
> next step for users is to logon from a web page to access internet, this
> web
> page is comming from our firewall (bordermamager) and there is not
> certificate for this page...could this be the problem...i thought so but
> why
> the secure network is working.
>
> Thansk for you help

=?Utf-8?B?RGlkaWVyIEdvZG90?=

Re: ?Vista unsecured wireles network vs secure wireless
hi, well vista see the network and is able ot connect to it, the wifi signal
i well but it say local only. when i connect to the same acces point with the
other ssid (the secure one wpa) it does the same but it gives me local and
internet acces. so the only difference between the 2 ssid are the security,
for both of them you need to authenticate from a web page to browse internet!

Didier

"Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)" wrote:

> When you say that you aren't able to access it, can you be more specific?
> Does Vista see the wireless network? If so, when you try to connect, does
> it give an error message, or connect but is unable to access your logon
> page?
>
> "Didier Godot" <DidierGodot@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
> message de news:5689600C-C954-4B04-A7B5-7D41E6987BD8@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > we ha ve a corporate wireless network made of 3com devices, on our acces
> > point we are brodcastinsg 2 ssid. One is open and the other one is secure
> > with wpa.
> >
> > we never had any problem, our clients are using xp, 2000, mac name
> > it...but
> > with windows vista we are able to acces the secure one but not the open
> > one....what a strange probleme? is vista blocking in any way public
> > network..alos i have to say when we do connect to those wireless network
> > the
> > next step for users is to logon from a web page to access internet, this
> > web
> > page is comming from our firewall (bordermamager) and there is not
> > certificate for this page...could this be the problem...i thought so but
> > why
> > the secure network is working.
> >
> > Thansk for you help

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: ?Vista unsecured wireles network vs secure wireless
What happens when you try to go to the authentication web page on the
unsecure network?

"Didier Godot" <DidierGodot@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
message de news:7B44FE76-5D6F-41E0-B8D2-8C7DC7DF2940@microsoft.com...
> hi, well vista see the network and is able ot connect to it, the wifi
> signal
> i well but it say local only. when i connect to the same acces point with
> the
> other ssid (the secure one wpa) it does the same but it gives me local and
> internet acces. so the only difference between the 2 ssid are the
> security,
> for both of them you need to authenticate from a web page to browse
> internet!
>
> Didier
>
> "Michael A. Bishop (MSFT)" wrote:
>
>> When you say that you aren't able to access it, can you be more specific?
>> Does Vista see the wireless network? If so, when you try to connect,
>> does
>> it give an error message, or connect but is unable to access your logon
>> page?
>>
>> "Didier Godot" <DidierGodot@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le
>> message de news:5689600C-C954-4B04-A7B5-7D41E6987BD8@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > we ha ve a corporate wireless network made of 3com devices, on our
>> > acces
>> > point we are brodcastinsg 2 ssid. One is open and the other one is
>> > secure
>> > with wpa.
>> >
>> > we never had any problem, our clients are using xp, 2000, mac name
>> > it...but
>> > with windows vista we are able to acces the secure one but not the open
>> > one....what a strange probleme? is vista blocking in any way public
>> > network..alos i have to say when we do connect to those wireless
>> > network
>> > the
>> > next step for users is to logon from a web page to access internet,
>> > this
>> > web
>> > page is comming from our firewall (bordermamager) and there is not
>> > certificate for this page...could this be the problem...i thought so
>> > but
>> > why
>> > the secure network is working.
>> >
>> > Thansk for you help

=?Utf-8?B?RGlkaWVyIEdvZG90?=

Re: ?Vista unsecured wireles network vs secure wireless
the web page never shows, i m able to see that the adress is correct on the
top menu of ie7 but it just wont show the page but id oes when i use the
secure network! (could this be a certificate problem) .

Didier