Vista Business not seeing XP or 2000 Pro

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FibGVBcGU=?=

Vista Business not seeing XP or 2000 Pro
I have just purchases a Vista Business laptop and can connect to the internet
just fine wirelessly. I can't see my wired XP or 2000 Pro machines or
printers from the Vista machine. They all have complete share access. I
have read these threads and everything seems to match the suggestions except
I can't seem to find the LLTP patch mentioned. My wired machines see the
wireless laptop but can't connect despite the appropriate shares. I have
dissabled Norton Firewall and am relying on Windows. I must admit that I
have never had these kind of problems before with prior OS's. I am a MCP and
this is getting frustrating. Any insight?
koze

Re: Vista Business not seeing XP or 2000 Pro
In the networking centre network discovery enabled?
Sharing files and printers enabled?

etc.

Ko.

"CableApe" <CableApe@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
newsBD5FC54-71A0-4E84-B564-AF8699CCD861@microsoft.com...
>I have just purchases a Vista Business laptop and can connect to the
>internet
> just fine wirelessly. I can't see my wired XP or 2000 Pro machines or
> printers from the Vista machine. They all have complete share access. I
> have read these threads and everything seems to match the suggestions
> except
> I can't seem to find the LLTP patch mentioned. My wired machines see the
> wireless laptop but can't connect despite the appropriate shares. I have
> dissabled Norton Firewall and am relying on Windows. I must admit that I
> have never had these kind of problems before with prior OS's. I am a MCP
> and
> this is getting frustrating. Any insight?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FibGVBcGU=?=

Re: Vista Business not seeing XP or 2000 Pro
Yes. There are a couple of quirky things going on as well. When I reboot
the PC the Windows Firewall turns itself off and Norton Firewall turns itself
on. I am working on that now but even when I have only the Windows Firewall
on I still can't see the other machines.

"koze" wrote:

> In the networking centre network discovery enabled?
> Sharing files and printers enabled?
>
> etc.
>
> Ko.
>
> "CableApe" <CableApe@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> newsBD5FC54-71A0-4E84-B564-AF8699CCD861@microsoft.com...
> >I have just purchases a Vista Business laptop and can connect to the
> >internet
> > just fine wirelessly. I can't see my wired XP or 2000 Pro machines or
> > printers from the Vista machine. They all have complete share access. I
> > have read these threads and everything seems to match the suggestions
> > except
> > I can't seem to find the LLTP patch mentioned. My wired machines see the
> > wireless laptop but can't connect despite the appropriate shares. I have
> > dissabled Norton Firewall and am relying on Windows. I must admit that I
> > have never had these kind of problems before with prior OS's. I am a MCP
> > and
> > this is getting frustrating. Any insight?

koze

Re: Vista Business not seeing XP or 2000 Pro
Ok just try this, let the Norton firewall on for a check and take a look if
you are able to set in there to let file and sharing trough the firewall.

There are more problems reported using Symantec software, maybe a uninstall
will clear it out, as has worked for others.

> Yes. There are a couple of quirky things going on as well. When I reboot
> the PC the Windows Firewall turns itself off and Norton Firewall turns
> itself
> on. I am working on that now but even when I have only the Windows
> Firewall
> on I still can't see the other machines.
>
> "koze" wrote:
>
>> In the networking centre network discovery enabled?
>> Sharing files and printers enabled?
>>
>> etc.
>>
>> Ko.
>>
>> "CableApe" <CableApe@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>> newsBD5FC54-71A0-4E84-B564-AF8699CCD861@microsoft.com...
>> >I have just purchases a Vista Business laptop and can connect to the
>> >internet
>> > just fine wirelessly. I can't see my wired XP or 2000 Pro machines or
>> > printers from the Vista machine. They all have complete share access.
>> > have read these threads and everything seems to match the suggestions
>> > except
>> > I can't seem to find the LLTP patch mentioned. My wired machines see
>> > the
>> > wireless laptop but can't connect despite the appropriate shares. I
>> > have
>> > dissabled Norton Firewall and am relying on Windows. I must admit that
>> > have never had these kind of problems before with prior OS's. I am a
>> > MCP
>> > and
>> > this is getting frustrating. Any insight?

koze

Re: Vista Business not seeing XP or 2000 Pro
This is not a MS bug but a Symantec problem <G>

Glad you have it going .

>I did an uninstall of NIS 07 and everything appeared. Go figure. I guess
> it's back to XP until Microsoft gets the bugs out. Thanks for the help.
>
> "koze" wrote:
>
>> Ok just try this, let the Norton firewall on for a check and take a look
>> if
>> you are able to set in there to let file and sharing trough the
>> firewall.
>>
>> There are more problems reported using Symantec software, maybe a
>> uninstall
>> will clear it out, as has worked for others.
>>
>> Ko.
>>
>> "CableApe" <CableApe@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>> > Yes. There are a couple of quirky things going on as well. When I
>> > reboot
>> > the PC the Windows Firewall turns itself off and Norton Firewall turns
>> > itself
>> > on. I am working on that now but even when I have only the Windows
>> > Firewall
>> > on I still can't see the other machines.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FibGVBcGU=?=

Re: Vista Business not seeing XP or 2000 Pro
Well, I can't put XP on this machine. It doesn't have drivers available in
XP. I will still need to know what settings with NIS 07 will work with Vista
to be able to see other computers and devices. Would you have a know working
list of these settings? I would hate to have to purchase additional software
since I paid extra for the Norton. Why would they bundle known incompatible
software?

"koze" wrote:

> This is not a MS bug but a Symantec problem <G>
>
> Glad you have it going .
>
> Ko
>
> "CableApe" <CableApe@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
> >I did an uninstall of NIS 07 and everything appeared. Go figure. I guess
> > it's back to XP until Microsoft gets the bugs out. Thanks for the help.
> >
> > "koze" wrote:
> >
> >> Ok just try this, let the Norton firewall on for a check and take a look
> >> if
> >> you are able to set in there to let file and sharing trough the
> >> firewall.
> >>
> >> There are more problems reported using Symantec software, maybe a
> >> uninstall
> >> will clear it out, as has worked for others.
> >>
> >> Ko.
> >>
> >> "CableApe" <CableApe@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht

koze

Re: Vista Business not seeing XP or 2000 Pro
I'm sorry, I don't have those settings for you, have abandond their software
long ago due to problems.
If you are able to use the Windows Firewall you could use Avast (the Home
version is free after registration) for a AV and works for both 32 abd 64
bit.

That's the way I use my Vista, only the build in Firewall and Avast. Happy
camper that way.

> Well, I can't put XP on this machine. It doesn't have drivers available
> in
> XP. I will still need to know what settings with NIS 07 will work with
> Vista
> to be able to see other computers and devices. Would you have a know
> working
> list of these settings? I would hate to have to purchase additional
> software
> since I paid extra for the Norton. Why would they bundle known
> incompatible
> software?
>
> "koze" wrote:
>
>> This is not a MS bug but a Symantec problem <G>
>>
>> Glad you have it going .
>>
>> Ko
>>
>> "CableApe" <CableApe@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>> >I did an uninstall of NIS 07 and everything appeared. Go figure. I
>> >guess
>> > it's back to XP until Microsoft gets the bugs out. Thanks for the
>> > help.

=?Utf-8?B?QnJ1Y2UgSy4=?=

RE: Vista Business not seeing XP or 2000 Pro
I had the same problem and solved it by completely uninstalling Norton and
rebooting.

"CableApe" wrote:

> I have just purchases a Vista Business laptop and can connect to the internet
> just fine wirelessly. I can't see my wired XP or 2000 Pro machines or
> printers from the Vista machine. They all have complete share access. I
> have read these threads and everything seems to match the suggestions except
> I can't seem to find the LLTP patch mentioned. My wired machines see the
> wireless laptop but can't connect despite the appropriate shares. I have
> dissabled Norton Firewall and am relying on Windows. I must admit that I
> have never had these kind of problems before with prior OS's. I am a MCP and
> this is getting frustrating. Any insight?

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Vista Business not seeing XP or 2000 Pro
I don't know what settings you need, but once you know it's definitely NIS
that's blocking things, then it should be a matter of making Norton open the
correct ports.

"CableApe" <CableApe@discussions.microsoft.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Well, I can't put XP on this machine. It doesn't have drivers available
> in
> XP. I will still need to know what settings with NIS 07 will work with
> Vista
> to be able to see other computers and devices. Would you have a know
> working
> list of these settings? I would hate to have to purchase additional
> software
> since I paid extra for the Norton. Why would they bundle known
> incompatible
> software?
>
> "koze" wrote:
>
>> This is not a MS bug but a Symantec problem <G>
>>
>> Glad you have it going .
>>
>> Ko
>>
>> "CableApe" <CableApe@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>> >I did an uninstall of NIS 07 and everything appeared. Go figure. I
>> >guess
>> > it's back to XP until Microsoft gets the bugs out. Thanks for the
>> > help.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

RE: Vista Business not seeing XP or 2000 Pro
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=70582