Limited or no connectivity

=?Utf-8?B?TWVvdw==?=

Limited or no connectivity
Hello

I have recently upgraded to Windows Vista and I was trying to setup my Vista
laptop so that it will connect to my existing wireless network. However it
always comes back with the default windows IP address and not actually
getting an IP address from the DHCP server. I am sure that the router is
working fine since my other pc with XP is connecting with no problem.
Windows is set to obtain IP address automatically and DHCP server on the
router is enabled. Currently using an Edimax AR-7064g+ router with built in
wireless adaptor on my laptop. All the drivers and firmwares is the latest.
If you have any ideas, please reply to this post
=?Utf-8?B?TUdiYXNzYWNl?=

RE: Limited or no connectivity
The fix that seems to have worked for myself and others is to disable the
tcpip v6 , connecion properties then take the tick out of the tcpip v6 check
box.
Martin

"Meow" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have recently upgraded to Windows Vista and I was trying to setup my Vista
> laptop so that it will connect to my existing wireless network. However it
> always comes back with the default windows IP address and not actually
> getting an IP address from the DHCP server. I am sure that the router is
> working fine since my other pc with XP is connecting with no problem.
> Windows is set to obtain IP address automatically and DHCP server on the
> router is enabled. Currently using an Edimax AR-7064g+ router with built in
> wireless adaptor on my laptop. All the drivers and firmwares is the latest.
> If you have any ideas, please reply to this post

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Limited or no connectivity
I would double check the security settings. Or this search result may help,

sent packets on wirelessCase Study - Sent packets only on a wireless computer and Limited or no connection. Situation: one of our users has a XP computer with wireless connection. ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/cases...entpacket1.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Meow" <Meow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1365CFCB-8A91-4495-A7E0-371BA1F90E27@microsoft.com...
Hello

I have recently upgraded to Windows Vista and I was trying to setup my Vista
laptop so that it will connect to my existing wireless network. However it
always comes back with the default windows IP address and not actually
getting an IP address from the DHCP server. I am sure that the router is
working fine since my other pc with XP is connecting with no problem.
Windows is set to obtain IP address automatically and DHCP server on the
router is enabled. Currently using an Edimax AR-7064g+ router with built in
wireless adaptor on my laptop. All the drivers and firmwares is the latest.
If you have any ideas, please reply to this post
=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBXb29k?=

RE: Limited or no connectivity
There are incompatabilities with Vista and some of the built-in DHCP servers
in routers. As a result, kiss off automatic assignment of network settings
for these routers (wireless or otherwise).

You will have to MANUALLY set your IP info, just like in the old days.
Unfortunately, that also means that you will have to CAN those adapter IP
setting when using true DHCP enabled routers that actually work. When you
run into this, I've found that the alternate IP info does not work at all, it
never gets referenced or determined.

Here is one solution that may work for SOME routers (but it does NOT work
for all of them!)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

The reality is that as long as you can connect to the router (i.e. local
only connection) then the manual assignment of the IP info should get you
there. And forget about wasting your time trying to use the Alternate
configuration, it doesn't work.