No connection to XP from Vista - tried everything, heeelp!

herrde

No connection to XP from Vista - tried everything, heeelp!

Hi everybody,

after reading this forum for hours and hours, I still haven't been able
to solve my problem, please help!

My situation:

I have a WLAN with two computers. One is a Vista Ultimate machine, and
the other one - you guessed it - is a XP Pro SP2 machine. The XP
machine can access Vista and its shares without any problem.

My problem:

Vista can "see" the XP machine. It's in the same workgroup, both have
the same user account names, still, whenever I double-click on the XP
machine, the connection dialogue pops up where I have to input user
name and password, but to no avail. The same odd error message pops up
saying the other computer can't be accessed, contact your admin and so
on.

I have tried everything that I read here in the forum, such as:

- I have disabled windows firewalls on both machines, Norton Anti-Virus
on the XP machine ((I don't have any Norton Desktop firewall installed)
and AVAST anti-virus on the Vista machine
- I have installed the MS LLTP patch
- I have enabled NETBIOS in the TCPIP settings on both machines
- I changed computer names of both machines back and forth
- I tried both, different and same passwords on both machines
- On Vista, I set up the network as being a private one
- On Vista, I enabled Network browsing, file and printer sharing,
public folder sharing and set "password protected shares" to "off"
- I setup a couple of shares on the Vista machine (as mentioned, I can
access these without any problems from the XP machine)
- Of course, I enabled file and printer sharing on the XP machine as
well
- I have setup the XP shares with full user rights for the used
account.

And here comes another funny part. My Vista machine is a dual-boot
system with Vista on one partition and another XP Pro SP2 on another
partition. That XP partition has no problems connecting to the other XP
machine. As described above, only the Vista partition can't connect to
the other computer.
On the dual-boot Vista/XP machine, I have tried both, using the same
computer name for both partitions as well as using different names.

It's always the same, I can never connect from the Vista machine to the
XP machine.

Can anybody think of anything I might have forgotten?

Please help!!!!!

10000000000000 thanks in advance!!!!

Yours,

Gero

--
herrde
koze

Re: No connection to XP from Vista - tried everything, heeelp!
Have you tried to enable the guest account (only if you don't use a
password) .

The best way to get this working is using a password logon on both machines
and use the same password and login name on both.

Ko.

"herrde" <herrde.2mcvuj@no-mx.forums.net> schreef in bericht

> Hi everybody,
>
> after reading this forum for hours and hours, I still haven't been able
> to solve my problem, please help!
>
> My situation:
>
> I have a WLAN with two computers. One is a Vista Ultimate machine, and
> the other one - you guessed it - is a XP Pro SP2 machine. The XP
> machine can access Vista and its shares without any problem.
>
> My problem:
>
> Vista can "see" the XP machine. It's in the same workgroup, both have
> the same user account names, still, whenever I double-click on the XP
> machine, the connection dialogue pops up where I have to input user
> name and password, but to no avail. The same odd error message pops up
> saying the other computer can't be accessed, contact your admin and so
> on.
>
> I have tried everything that I read here in the forum, such as:
>
> - I have disabled windows firewalls on both machines, Norton Anti-Virus
> on the XP machine ((I don't have any Norton Desktop firewall installed)
> and AVAST anti-virus on the Vista machine
> - I have installed the MS LLTP patch
> - I have enabled NETBIOS in the TCPIP settings on both machines
> - I changed computer names of both machines back and forth
> - I tried both, different and same passwords on both machines
> - On Vista, I set up the network as being a private one
> - On Vista, I enabled Network browsing, file and printer sharing,
> public folder sharing and set "password protected shares" to "off"
> - I setup a couple of shares on the Vista machine (as mentioned, I can
> access these without any problems from the XP machine)
> - Of course, I enabled file and printer sharing on the XP machine as
> well
> - I have setup the XP shares with full user rights for the used
> account.
>
> And here comes another funny part. My Vista machine is a dual-boot
> system with Vista on one partition and another XP Pro SP2 on another
> partition. That XP partition has no problems connecting to the other XP
> machine. As described above, only the Vista partition can't connect to
> the other computer.
> On the dual-boot Vista/XP machine, I have tried both, using the same
> computer name for both partitions as well as using different names.
>
> It's always the same, I can never connect from the Vista machine to the
> XP machine.
>
> Can anybody think of anything I might have forgotten?
>
> Please help!!!!!
>
> 10000000000000 thanks in advance!!!!
>
> Yours,
>
> Gero
>

> --
> herrde

herrde

koze;195619 Wrote:
> Have you tried to enable the guest account (only if you don't use a
> password) .
> The best way to get this working is using a password logon on both
> machines
> and use the same password and login name on both.

Hi,

yes, I also tried the guest account, and I also tried it with same
login names and identical passwords on both machines - same bad
result....

I can't believe this.... please help...

Gero

--
herrde
koze

Re: No connection to XP from Vista - tried everything, heeelp!
Do you have your network (networking center) set to Public? It should be set
to private.
in the same options you should have network discovery set to enabled also
including the file and printersharing.

If not done all the firewall is blocking the connection. It could be you
have to go to the settings from the firewall and select in exceptions to let
file and printersharing go trough.

Ko

"herrde" <herrde.2mcym8@no-mx.forums.net> schreef in bericht

> koze;195619 Wrote:
>> Have you tried to enable the guest account (only if you don't use a
>> password) .
>> The best way to get this working is using a password logon on both
>> machines
>> and use the same password and login name on both.

> Hi,
>
> yes, I also tried the guest account, and I also tried it with same
> login names and identical passwords on both machines - same bad
> result....
>
> I can't believe this.... please help...
>
> Gero
>

> --
> herrde

herrde

koze;195927 Wrote:
> Do you have your network (networking center) set to Public? It should be
> set
> to private.
> in the same options you should have network discovery set to enabled
> also including the file and printersharing.
> If not done all the firewall is blocking the connection. It could be
> you
> have to go to the settings from the firewall and select in exceptions
> to let
> file and printersharing go trough.

Hi again,

I've already done all of the things you're suggesting, as written in my
very first post. Network is set to private, network discovery is
enabled, as is file and printer sharing.
NO firewalls are running on any machine (neither the windows firewalls
nor any desktop firewalls), and all anti-virus applications are
disabled.

What can I do????

Thank you,

Gero

--
herrde
koze

Re: No connection to XP from Vista - tried everything, heeelp!
I cannot put a document in here for you what is your mail address, I can
send it to you.

Ko

"herrde" <herrde.2mdi4f@no-mx.forums.net> schreef in bericht

> koze;195927 Wrote:
>> Do you have your network (networking center) set to Public? It should be
>> set
>> to private.
>> in the same options you should have network discovery set to enabled
>> also including the file and printersharing.
>> If not done all the firewall is blocking the connection. It could be
>> you
>> have to go to the settings from the firewall and select in exceptions
>> to let
>> file and printersharing go trough.
>>

> Hi again,
>
> I've already done all of the things you're suggesting, as written in my
> very first post. Network is set to private, network discovery is
> enabled, as is file and printer sharing.
> NO firewalls are running on any machine (neither the windows firewalls
> nor any desktop firewalls), and all anti-virus applications are
> disabled.
>
> What can I do????
>
> Thank you,
>
> Gero
>

> --
> herrde

herrde

Re: No connection to XP from Vista - tried everything, heeelp!

Hi everybody,

I was able to solve my problem which I think was based on a bug in
Vista.

If you followed this thread, you have seen that I did and tried
everything that's possible to get the Vista machine connecting to the
XP machine.

Now, yesterday I did one small change, and suddenly it worked:

I simply switched the network from "private" to "public" - and that was
it! Yes, no typing error here - not vice versa, but really from
"private" to "public". Afterwards, I switched it back to "private", and
it continued to work.

You can easily see that there is no logic behind this, so I absolutely
think that this is a bug in Vista. Obviously, changing the network type
re-initialized something (whatever that is), and that was the solution.

I hope that this might help others who have encountred or will
encounter a similar problem!

All the best & 1000000 thanks to all of you who tried to help me!

Gero

--
herrde
=?Utf-8?B?UmV2IE1pa2UgQg==?=

Re: No connection to XP from Vista - tried everything, heeelp!
So how did you get to the right screen to change it from public to private.
I am having the same problem trying to get a vista machine to talk to an XP
wireless network. XP sees the Vista machine, but cannot access its files.
Vista does not see the XP machines at all. All discovery settings are on,
firewall is off. Despite my efforts, the WLAN keeps setting to public, even
when I choose private, I guess becuase it is an open channel with no security.

HEELP!

Thanks.

"herrde" wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I was able to solve my problem which I think was based on a bug in
> Vista.
>
> If you followed this thread, you have seen that I did and tried
> everything that's possible to get the Vista machine connecting to the
> XP machine.
>
> Now, yesterday I did one small change, and suddenly it worked:
>
> I simply switched the network from "private" to "public" - and that was
> it! Yes, no typing error here - not vice versa, but really from
> "private" to "public". Afterwards, I switched it back to "private", and
> it continued to work.
>
> You can easily see that there is no logic behind this, so I absolutely
> think that this is a bug in Vista. Obviously, changing the network type
> re-initialized something (whatever that is), and that was the solution.
>
> I hope that this might help others who have encountred or will
> encounter a similar problem!
>
> All the best & 1000000 thanks to all of you who tried to help me!
>
> Gero
>

> --
> herrde

herrde

Rev Mike B;244820 Wrote:
> So how did you get to the right screen to change it from public to
> private.
> I am having the same problem trying to get a vista machine to talk to
> an XP
> wireless network. XP sees the Vista machine, but cannot access its
> files.
> Vista does not see the XP machines at all. All discovery settings are
> on,
> firewall is off. Despite my efforts, the WLAN keeps setting to public,
> even
> when I choose private, I guess becuase it is an open channel with no
> security.

Hi,

that seems to be a different problem. In my case, Vista saw the XP
machine, but failed to connect to it, so there must be something else
going on in your case. Anyway, the "public/private" setting is on the
same screen where you can also set "Network discovery" and other
things, it's the Networking Center.

Good luck,

Gero

--
herrde
...winston

Re: No connection to XP from Vista - tried everything, heeelp!
A few questions.
0. Did you share the respective Vista folder or only trying to share the
Vista Public folder ?
1. Have you added the XP profile username/pw to the Vista machine so it can
be chosen as a selection and granted permission to share the folder
or
2. Have you enabled sharing for the folder by choosing the 'Guest' option.

...winston