Cannot Join Wireless Network

bmichel@gmail.com

Cannot Join Wireless Network
On Windows XP, I connect to my institution's wireless network as
describe here:
http://www.hiof.no/index.php?ID=9018

Basically, this is what I do:
- Install a certificate
- Configure the wireless connection as described in the link
- Log in to the network with my credentials

On Windows Vista, this doesn't seem to work.
I am getting the 'Enter Credential' window. After logging in with my
credentials, nothing happens. A moment later, I get the 'Enter
Credential' window again.

I configured the wireless connection properties as follows:
Security Tab:
-> Network name: a1200bg
-> Security type: 802.1x
-> Encryption type: WEP
-> Choose a network authentication method: Protected EAP (PEAP)

Protected EAP Properties:
-> Validate Server Certificate: Checked
--> Connect to these servers: hal.hiof.no
-> Trusted Root Certification Authorities: chose checked adequate
certificate (CA Hiof)
-> Do not prompt user to ... : Unchecked

-> Select Authentication Method: Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)

-> Enable Fast Reconnect: Checked
-> Enable Quarantine Check: Unchecked
-> Disconnect if server is ... : Unchecked

EAP-MSCHAP v2 Properties:
-> Automatically user my Windows logon ...: Unchecked

Something I'm doing is obviously wrong.
How do I connect to that wireless network correctly?

drahnier

Re: Cannot Join Wireless Network
except using WPA instead of WEP, I am experiencing the same problem.

I have a ZyXEL VR50 RADIUS server set up to do the authentication which
works flawlessly with all XP boxes but Vista seems to treat the certificates
differently. I'm at a loss here ...

--

__________________________________
drahnier

<bmichel@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1172056334.892362.267160@s48g2000cws.googlegr oups.com...
> On Windows XP, I connect to my institution's wireless network as
> describe here:
> http://www.hiof.no/index.php?ID=9018
>
> Basically, this is what I do:
> - Install a certificate
> - Configure the wireless connection as described in the link
> - Log in to the network with my credentials
>

> On Windows Vista, this doesn't seem to work.
> I am getting the 'Enter Credential' window. After logging in with my
> credentials, nothing happens. A moment later, I get the 'Enter
> Credential' window again.
>
> I configured the wireless connection properties as follows:
> Security Tab:
> -> Network name: a1200bg
> -> Security type: 802.1x
> -> Encryption type: WEP
> -> Choose a network authentication method: Protected EAP (PEAP)
>
> Protected EAP Properties:
> -> Validate Server Certificate: Checked
> --> Connect to these servers: hal.hiof.no
> -> Trusted Root Certification Authorities: chose checked adequate
> certificate (CA Hiof)
> -> Do not prompt user to ... : Unchecked
>
> -> Select Authentication Method: Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)
>
> -> Enable Fast Reconnect: Checked
> -> Enable Quarantine Check: Unchecked
> -> Disconnect if server is ... : Unchecked
>
> EAP-MSCHAP v2 Properties:
> -> Automatically user my Windows logon ...: Unchecked
>

> Something I'm doing is obviously wrong.
> How do I connect to that wireless network correctly?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Cannot Join Wireless Network
This post may help,

Wireless doesn't work in Vista
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...opic.php?t=253

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
[...]

Michael A. Bishop \(MSFT\)

Re: Cannot Join Wireless Network
If you check your Event Logs (Start, right-click Computer, Manage; Event
Viewer, Windows Logs), do you see any error messages in the System,
Application, or Security logs which describe the attempt to authenticate?

<bmichel@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:1172056334.892362.267160@s48g2000cws.googlegr oups.com...
> On Windows XP, I connect to my institution's wireless network as
> describe here:
> http://www.hiof.no/index.php?ID=9018
>
> Basically, this is what I do:
> - Install a certificate
> - Configure the wireless connection as described in the link
> - Log in to the network with my credentials
>

> On Windows Vista, this doesn't seem to work.
> I am getting the 'Enter Credential' window. After logging in with my
> credentials, nothing happens. A moment later, I get the 'Enter
> Credential' window again.
>
> I configured the wireless connection properties as follows:
> Security Tab:
> -> Network name: a1200bg
> -> Security type: 802.1x
> -> Encryption type: WEP
> -> Choose a network authentication method: Protected EAP (PEAP)
>
> Protected EAP Properties:
> -> Validate Server Certificate: Checked
> --> Connect to these servers: hal.hiof.no
> -> Trusted Root Certification Authorities: chose checked adequate
> certificate (CA Hiof)
> -> Do not prompt user to ... : Unchecked
>
> -> Select Authentication Method: Secured password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)
>
> -> Enable Fast Reconnect: Checked
> -> Enable Quarantine Check: Unchecked
> -> Disconnect if server is ... : Unchecked
>
> EAP-MSCHAP v2 Properties:
> -> Automatically user my Windows logon ...: Unchecked
>

> Something I'm doing is obviously wrong.
> How do I connect to that wireless network correctly?

drahnier

Re: Cannot Join Wireless Network
I believe that this error logged in event viewer must be related to the
problem:

Dynamic key exchange did not succeed within configured time

I've tried with two different APs (ZyXEL ZyWALL Z5 w/ WLAN card installed,
and ZyXEL G-560)now, and both work while XP clients are involved, but my
Vista laptop always fails.

--

drahnier